PDA

View Full Version : Interesting help needed regarding Sub Vol

Nicknyte
06-23-2014, 11:41 PM
So here is the scenario:

I went up to MEPS to sign a contract. They gave me (non-nuke) MM (Sub Volunteer). It was mainly a placeholder contract they gave me until I was possibly awarded a NUKE contract, where they would change my rate. I only signed it so I could get DEPped in and if things went south, I'd change my rate or just leave DEP.

I got word that my Nuke Waiver was approved, and I am stoked on going to school (as an old, soon to be, 26 yr. old grandpa), but I don't want to sub vol unless I am required to do so.

In short, when I am due to sign my contract once more, am I required to sign up for Sub Vol again, does the old Sub Vol contract take carry weight into this new contract, or can I just say No this time over? Thanks again.

BloodyPheonix
06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Well I'm gunna say that you shouldn't have to carry over the sub volunteer thing because a sub and surface nuke have the exact same trainng, whereas as a sub MM goes to BESS and A school in Groton and a surface MM has A school in Great Lakes. So you only had to sign for sub vol because you had to reserve the spot in BESS/A school before, in the nuke program you don't touch Groton you don't have to sign for sub vol.

jzhaun
06-24-2014, 07:08 AM
A new contract is just that - a new contract. Parts of the old one no longer apply. I know when people get dropped from DLI and sent to new schools, their 2 year extension goes away as well.

Having said that, all CTIs have to volunteer for subs if male, but it sounds like nuke is different, so you should be okay.

scarswell
06-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I've heard of guys that have done what you are but because they've volunteered for subs on their other contract they were put on subs even when they were nuke

Texasailor2015
06-24-2014, 10:05 AM
as an old, soon to be, 26 yr. old grandpa

What the hell? lol

Atom_breaker
06-24-2014, 10:39 AM
What the hell? lol

He doesn't mean that literally. It's a term for old ass people at boot camp. :rofl:

Texasailor2015
06-24-2014, 11:09 AM
He doesn't mean that literally. It's a term for old ass people at boot camp. :rofl:

Lol gotcha. I'm in the same boat, I'll be going in at 26 as well.

Nicknyte
06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Yep, Welcome to the Grandpa club. XD

Atom_breaker
06-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Yep, Welcome to the Grandpa club. XD

Any news on the nuke waiver?

Nicknyte
06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
It's fully approved, but the papers haven't reached me yet. I am hoping they come this week, since I have to go TDY to WV soon.

Atom_breaker
06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
It's fully approved, but the papers haven't reached me yet. I am hoping they come this week, since I have to go TDY to WV soon.

Good to hear it got approved!