PDA

View Full Version : Security Clearance question

hornsbyb
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I ship off to boot camp in a week, and I'm starting to get paranoid. Should I be worried?

Edit: Got a call today from a Petty Officer asking me questions to make sure I'm still qualified for Nuke Program. No issues there.

drego86
04-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Don't be paranoid. You're worrying about nothing.

peterson0015
04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
what happened in Highschool happened in Highschool your starting a new life now clean slate forget about the rest

FutureND
04-02-2014, 10:52 PM
What type of clearance are you getting?

13Point1Heiress
04-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Don't be that person who stands up at the Moment of Truth because you got suspended in high school, it's no big deal

Mrs_Breen
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
As long as it isn't on an arrest record, you should be fine. My husband also got suspended due to a HS fight and it hasn't been an issue with his clearance so far.

hornsbyb
04-03-2014, 01:21 PM
FutureND, I'm not sure really, whatever Nukes get.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm feeling good.

AramilX
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
FutureND, I'm not sure really, whatever Nukes get.

Secret, I think.

Haasino
04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Secret, I think.

Yeah, it's just a Secret Clearance... all that involves is a National Agency Check of federal, state, and local law enforcement databases for any police involvement, a civil records check for lawsuits, bankruptcy, liens, etc., a credit check to make sure you're not susceptible to bribery or blackmail, a Social Security Administration check to verify all jobs you've held a W-2 for, and a check of any foreign contacts you may have listed.

Generally, a Secret Clearance doesn't even require an in-person interview, and you'll have it granted before you leave for RTC if you're in DEP more than about 4 months.

hornsbyb
04-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Yeah, it's just a Secret Clearance... all that involves is a National Agency Check of federal, state, and local law enforcement databases for any police involvement, a civil records check for lawsuits, bankruptcy, liens, etc., a credit check to make sure you're not susceptible to bribery or blackmail, a Social Security Administration check to verify all jobs you've held a W-2 for, and a check of any foreign contacts you may have listed.

Generally, a Secret Clearance doesn't even require an in-person interview, and you'll have it granted before you leave for RTC if you're in DEP more than about 4 months.

Thank you so much for the information.

OatmealRenegade
04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Could someone elaborate on the likelihood of a secret security clearance being denied while at RTC? (Assuming all information was disclosed upon enlisting.)

I am an NF DEPer awaiting clearance; I've answered all pre-screening questions and would hate to have to change ratings at RTC.

Haasino: I haven't been cleared yet, although I've been in DEP for almost a year.

Haasino
04-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Could someone elaborate on the likelihood of a secret security clearance being denied while at RTC? (Assuming all information was disclosed upon enlisting.)

I am an NF DEPer awaiting clearance; I've answered all pre-screening questions and would hate to have to change ratings at RTC.

Haasino: I haven't been cleared yet, although I've been in DEP for almost a year.

Unless you've withheld law enforcement encounters, job terminations, or have foreign affluence or influence, a Secret Clearance is almost automatic. If you answered all the questions asked honestly, and the security manager didn't raise any issues, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

OPM doesn't always initiate a clearance investigation right away... are you sure you don't already have your clearance? You generally won't be able to tell until you have CAC access and log into your Electronic Training Jacket from a military computer.

jzhaun
04-28-2014, 04:17 PM
If you've been in dep that long you probably have your secret already. They're don't call you up and say your clearance was granted while you're in dep, and you don't have access to it yet because you haven't shipped yet.

If you have the kind of serious issues that would prevent you from receiving a secret, you should already know you have them.

Atom_breaker
04-28-2014, 07:13 PM
I have about $10,000 in credit and loan debt, I've paid every payment on time over 400 payments on time haha. My credit is fine, I'm just wondering if that amount will cause any issuer with debt "bribery" or whatever..

jzhaun
04-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Look, I have like twice the debt you do (granted, they're all student loans) and I have a TS. No issue.

As far as I understand, the only reason someone with good credit and a history of paying on time would get turned down because of their debt is if their monthly payment exceeds 40% of the monthly salary they would receive in the military.