PDA

View Full Version : Degree Credits and Certifications

mich313
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
So I already have a BS degree in Psychology, but I'm hopeful to be career Navy and become an officer. A Psych degree isn't very helpful, but a degree in say engineering or chemistry could be much more beneficial for a Nuke Officer position or SWO.

What I'm wondering is between the credits from my first degree (gen eds and such) and the credits I can earn in Charleston, what degrees could I potentially receive? Can I choose or are the credits from Nuke school only good towards a specific degree?

Also, I read somewhere that we can get certifications and such and the Navy will pay for that. Are we reimbursed, does the Navy pay for them up front, is there a lot of red tape involved? Just wanting to get a lay of the land.

Thanks for any/all input!

NavyCalifornia
03-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Hi there! Another psych major here. I don't have the answer to your question but I too am interested to know the answer to your questions.

Are you hoping to continue with Psych? Since you have an undergrad degree, you could use your school money they give you for Grad School (MFT/LPCC is like 2 years with 1-2 years of internships).

mich313
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
No, psych wasn't for me. I actually did a year of MS level Psych to pursue research and quit. My original goal with the degree was forensic psych and the FBI. The reality of the job market, or lack there of, steered me away from it. I never had a desire to be a therapist or go that route.

NavyCalifornia
03-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Ah, I see. I still hope you find some answers here, wish I could help! :)

Atom_breaker
03-20-2014, 04:48 PM
The American Council on Education has evaluated the course of instruction at NNPTC and recommended the following credits be given for completion of the enlisted curriculum:[10]
5 hours in general physics
3 hours in heat transfer and fluid flow
3 hours in nuclear reactor engineering
1 hour in atomic and nuclear physics
1 hour in radiation protection technology
3 hours in general chemistry and principles of materials
4 hours in technical mathematics.
Additionally, for Machinist's Mates
3 hours in applied thermodynamics and heat transfer
3 hours in power plant systems
2 hours in hydraulic systems
For Electronics Technicians and Electrician's Mates
3 hours in basic electricity
2 hours in DC circuits
2 hours in AC circuits
2 hours in digital principles
2 hours in electric machines
Several universities offer graduate level credit for completion of the officer training course.[3][4]

I'm not sure how to turn those credits into a degree during active duty though..