PDA

View Full Version : What to review for the pipeline? (Not an NAPT thread)

classified9
01-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Greetings,

I'm shipping 04Jun2014 for the nuclear field and just a brief background on myself. I have a bachelors in a liberal arts major, but I have taken college classes in chem, precal, and calc. Did pretty well in them but I know I'll have to work my butt off in charleston. I know that they teach you everything you need to know but I have access to a few nuclear engineering textbooks, a physics for dummies book (which helped me a lot for the NAPT) and a few other chem books. What would be good to review before getting to A-School? I know the material is classified and it's not like I'm getting ahead but I'm blessed with some time before shipping out and I want to train the noggin.

Thanks!

sweetmtn
01-20-2014, 10:51 PM
What ever you read in books...may not be the same as what the NAVY wants you to know. My son said there were some college grads in his class at nuke school, and those guys had the hardest time as they didnt deal well with having to RE-learn everything...as what they thought they knew was not HOW the navy wanted them to know it. My son had the hardest time with many of the algebra and calculus equations at nuke school, as they were totally different that what he had learned prior in high school and community college...then he realised most of the equations in nuke school were actually what he had learned in 8TH grade! lol...his teacher was a navy nuke prior to being a teacher!

Atom_breaker
01-24-2014, 07:47 AM
So do you think we should attempt to review some of the algebra equations or just wait? Do they have a "re-teach you our math" class haha. Or is that something you'll have to catch up on during the study hours? :beatdeadhorse:

classified9
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
What ever you read in books...may not be the same as what the NAVY wants you to know. My son said there were some college grads in his class at nuke school, and those guys had the hardest time as they didnt deal well with having to RE-learn everything...as what they thought they knew was not HOW the navy wanted them to know it. My son had the hardest time with many of the algebra and calculus equations at nuke school, as they were totally different that what he had learned prior in high school and community college...then he realised most of the equations in nuke school were actually what he had learned in 8TH grade! lol...his teacher was a navy nuke prior to being a teacher!

I figured this may have been the case, my game plan was to go down there with at least the juices flowing in my head knowing I'm sharp. I don't want to get into a situation where I have what I have learned conflicting with what is being taught. Thanks for your input!

NeveroddoreveN
02-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Best advice is to review HOW you learn things. Figure out the best way to drink from the firehose of knowledge.

Do things EXACTLY as you're taught. The A school training is to see if you can follow simple proceedures. All of Nuclear power in the navy is following proceedures. (With understanding)

If you can't be trusted to do simple math the way the Navy wants, how can you start up a reactor the way the Navy wants?

Smarter people than you created the program and wrote the power plant manuals. Trust them, with understanding.

Best books to check out are memory books. Learn to create mnemonics. Built memory palaces. Sing about things around you.

Learning how you learn will help you every step of the pipeline.

-Nuke ET in the fleet.

AramilX
02-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Best advice is to review HOW you learn things. Figure out the best way to drink from the firehose of knowledge.

Do things EXACTLY as you're taught. The A school training is to see if you can follow simple proceedures. All of Nuclear power in the navy is following proceedures. (With understanding)

If you can't be trusted to do simple math the way the Navy wants, how can you start up a reactor the way the Navy wants?

Smarter people than you created the program and wrote the power plant manuals. Trust them, with understanding.

Best books to check out are memory books. Learn to create mnemonics. Built memory palaces. Sing about things around you.

-Nuke ET in the fleet.
Interesting advice. I've never thought of it that way before.

classified9
02-05-2014, 10:23 AM

-Nuke ET in the fleet.

Really appreciate the info ET, to what you are allowed to disclose, what are tests like in A/power school?