PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions About The Pipeline

Nasant
10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
So, to start off, my DEP experience is coming to an end.. My ship date is 20131217 (I've been told to expect to possibly leave a little sooner than that by my recruiter(s) because of the December date, but who knows for sure)...

I have a few questions for those who are currently in the pipeline/have gone through the pipeline for the nuclear field. They are just a slightly random collection of questions I have come up with that I would like some input on from those that have more recent knowledge (as most threads/webpages I come across seem to be a bit dated)

1. MM/EM/ET. What was your preference given and what did you end up with? Are you happy with the rate?

2. What is the housing situation like in A school / NPS? - Also for Prototype in NY? (though who knows if that will still be an option by the time I hit that point)

3. For those that went MM, what was the selection process for ELT?

4. Surface / Sub (again, I know this is a preference one, but I would like to know your opinions)

5. Is it best to keep your head down while at RTC? (I've read/heard the stories/pre(mis?)conceptions about nukes and how they may be looked upon while at Great Lakes)

6. Any regrets? (Kind of broad, I know)

-- That's all I can think of now. I'd appreciate anyone's input on any/all of the questions. Thanks a lot, and I hope to see you current deppers in the pipeline soon! :)

- Nicholas Santistevan

sweetmtn
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Lets take them one at a time:

1. MM/EM/ET. What was your preference given and what did you end up with? Are you happy with the rate?

My son wanted MM and he was given the one he wanted..he was asked to choose between MM and EM, ET was not offered at that time.

2. What is the housing situation like in A school / NPS? - Also for Prototype in NY? (though who knows if that will still be an option by the time I hit that point)

At A school it is two people to a room and you dont get to choose your roommate...and yes you both can get in trouble if one doesnt keep their side up to standards. He said they were nice, but cell service sucked inside the rooms as they are concrete block walls.

My son said it was based on classroom scores...those with very high scores were offered it most.

4. Surface / Sub (again, I know this is a preference one, but I would like to know your opinions)

My son wanted subs, but really wanted San Diego more..no subs available at that time in San Diego, so he went to a carrier.

5. Is it best to keep your head down while at RTC? (I've read/heard the stories/pre(mis?)conceptions about nukes and how they may be looked upon while at Great Lakes)

Well, my son didnt really keep his head down, but it made no difference once at A school.

My son loved his job, and even though he is out of the navy now...he makes a lot more $$$ in the civilian world..be aware that the nuke rating is the most stressful job in the navy...always first on the ship and last off..majorly long hours, and generally a very tight click of sailors. There have been suicides at A school and beyond, and even in fleet. They will NOT tell you about this part as that is how stressfull is really is!

-- That's all I can think of now. I'd appreciate anyone's input on any/all of the questions. Thanks a lot, and I hope to see you current deppers in the pipeline soon! :)

- Nicholas Santistevan

Hope this helps a little....

drego86
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm currently in nfas right now.

My preferences in bootcamp were ET/EM and I received EM. So far I'm happy with it, but I have down the exact same things as ET's up to this point in a school.

The room situation Is usually two to a room and you share a head with another room. The rooms are nice. No complaints other than cell phones don't work inside rooms. The roommate situation does suck if you get bad roommates or suite mates. There's nothing you candco about it and you'll keep getting EMI for failed room inspections.

Bootcamp. It doesn't matter what you do. RDC's will call you out for being a nuke and you'll be "nukeing it" whenever you screw up.

I have no regrets so far. A lot o people say the nuke pipeline is stressful. I can see the point but as with anything, it's what you make of it. I'm not stressed out yet. I think it's a little stressful till you figure out everything that's expected of you and how to study effectively.

Good luck

prop827
11-08-2013, 01:02 AM
I requested ET then EM then MM and got EM. In hind sight, Navy made the right choice for me there, I love my rate (God's Rate, don't you know?). The question really is what is it you want to do, and what are you good at.

A school you live in barracks on site in double rooms with a shared bathroom to the room next door. small with bunkbeds (Trident is mostly wire rates, Seawolf is mostly mechanics; those are the 2 a-school barracks). Power school you switch to a new barracks and the rooms are twice the size (but still 2 to a room/4 to a bathroom) still living on site. Prototype in NY I can't say since I went through Charleston, but in Charleston you get to go find housing out in town and live off base. I lived in a nice little apartment by myself, but most guys rent apartments or houses and share them (2, 3, or 4 living together)

ELT You put a package in for during prototype. In general to get picked up ELT you have to have good grades in CMR (Chemistry, Materials, and Radcon) in power school and good grades in CRC (Chemistry and Radiological Controls) in prototype. Also, those that are set to qualify early in prototype are more likely to get it, but it all comes down to getting recommendations from Staff at prototype. ELT's are usually also Staff Pickups or Sub ELT's, surface ELT is harder to get.

I'm surface, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but that is entirely personal, and there are a few threds on here dedicated to just that question. Look at the pros and cons for you individually to decide. Keep in mind that just because you sub vol doesn't mean they'll send you to a sub, I know plenty of nuke sub vols that ended up going to a carrier.

Its ALWAYS good to keep your head down at Great Lakes, nuke or not. Boot camp is not fun (it's not meant to be anyways, sometimes it actually is) for anyone. Sticking out means more work for you, more yelling from RDC's and more time doing silly stuff.

No regrets, but a little personal advice: Study hard, and work your hardest while you're in the pipeline and qualify early at prototype!!! It is a lot less painful if you can manage those 2 things.