PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for NFAS/NPS/NPTU

andsimmen
09-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Hello all,

I have DEP'd into the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Program and wanted advice on [mental] preparation for Nuclear Field "A" School, Nuclear Power School, and Nuclear Prototype Training Unit School. I have read that the pipeline is analogous to drinking from a fire hydrant. What can I do now to be better prepared for the pipeline? Would any DEPers or prior service please post your suggestions (specific study guides/reading material/college coursework, ect.) for preparation of NFAS/NPS/NPTU below?

Thus far, I have read the NukeWorker and NavyDEP forums and have been made aware that the Navy would not place me into the program if they felt I was not qualified. Additionally, I understand that they will teach me their way of doing things. Thank you for your service and for your advice!

R.S./
andsimmen

drego86
09-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm in NFAS right now. Ill try and hit on some things you may not have heard from nuke worker The experience everyone has here is different. So I'm not going to generalize. This is all from my experience. As you've heard, everything has to be done a certain way. If you follow their procedures for doing math and science you'll be able to pass.

The instructors outline everything you need to study for each grading period. The outlines are the only things that you can be tested on. If you study those, you'll be good.

In terms of what you can do to prepare for the schooling process, I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you learn how do to things a certain way it will be harder for you to accept the nuke way of doing it. We have a guy who has two degrees in physics and electricity. He has trouble because he knows advanced concepts that interfere with the concepts that are being taught.

So I would just relax and work on your physical training for the time you have between now and bootcamp.

sweetmtn
09-21-2013, 01:44 PM
As far as the "mental" part of it...it is VERY STRESSFUL! One of the most in the navy by far..one thing they wont tell you up front is the suicide rate for nukes....take this from a mom that knows just how many did it in my sons class at nuke school and how many did in fleet while my son was in!