PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Corpsman question!!!

Ktamse
06-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm in the prices of research, research and more research! I've found that there are several specialties listed under the HM rate, how does this work! Like say if I wanted to go in as an X-ray tech, would this be the job I sign for on my contract? Just curious as to how this all works!

Auridan
06-13-2013, 09:07 PM
As usual, I'm going to tell you what my own research has uncovered, and someone who knows better will correct me if I'm wrong.

The specialties you're looking at are called NECs, Navy Enlisted Classifications. These are usually advanced training that comes from a C school, and you're not likely to get it in your contract. I assume you land one by expressing an interest, and then being a flaming badass in A school, to maximize your chances of being sent to a C school at all. But HM (like so many things) is pretty overmanned, so I wouldn't count on anything.

HMHunt
06-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Auridan is right for the most part. You sign the contract as a HM and you go to "A School". During "A School" you and your class put in dream sheets of where you want to go or "C Schools" you are interested in. The higher the GPA the more likely you are to get what you want. This doesn't mean if you don't have the best GPA that you won't get what you want they just pick orders for those people first. "C School" is a lot easier to get then it used to be. I have friends who wanted to go straight fleet after "A School", but got put into a "C School" they didn't want. Certain "C Schools" have very limited seats, such as X-Ray, so the higher your GPA the better chance you have to get it, but it's not always the smart kids who get "C Schools". A l

HMHunt
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I just graduated Corps school two weeks ago, so I have first hand experience.

Ktamse
06-14-2013, 07:39 PM
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I just graduated Corps school two weeks ago, so I have first hand experience.

Is this rate hard to get? I've heard it is and it isn't! I'm older(25) and ready to do something with meaning and purpose in life. Currently a pastry chef but I'm ready to get out of my current career!

HMHunt
06-14-2013, 09:28 PM
I told them I wanted HM and they didn't even try to offer me another job. If you want it, don't sign until you get it. Corpsman are always going to be needed. We are one of the most important rate in the Navy, biased opinion, but well deserved. Tell them that's what you want and you should t have a problem. I am 22 and signed my contract when I was 21. It seems like a lot of older people are enlisting into the military lately. The oldest guy in my class was 34.

Ktamse
06-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Will you be stationed on a ship or shore duty?

navywife83
06-14-2013, 10:13 PM
this is great info! I am hoping to get HM. I am going reserves though, so I am not sure if I get the chance to go to c school.... Also an older enlistee. I will be 30 this year >.< I have always wanted to join the navy, but always too scared. It is amazing what the pressure of age will do to you lol

Ktamse
06-15-2013, 04:29 AM
this is great info! I am hoping to get HM. I am going reserves though, so I am not sure if I get the chance to go to c school.... Also an older enlistee. I will be 30 this year >.< I have always wanted to join the navy, but always too scared. It is amazing what the pressure of age will do to you lol

Nice to meet you!

HMHunt
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Navywife, you will not have the opportunity to go to a C School as a reservist, unless you sign a HMDA contract and then you'll go through normal A School then go to Dental Assistant C School. As for the question about shore or ship, as a first year Corpsman, you are almost 100% guaranteed to be on shore they don't send many corpsman on ships. There are about 30 on each carrier and even less on smaller ships. A lot of my friends who got sent to Naval Hospital San Diego are attached to the Mercy whenever she deploys, but deployments have been canceled a lot due to budget cuts, so they may never go out.

vet502
06-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I suggest going to MEPS asap. I DEP'ed 20130610 and won't ship until 20140317. You sound like me! I'll be turning 26 at RTC and wanted to do something meaningful with my life. I was offered CTT and HM-I worked at a desk job the past 2 years...no way would I go that route. Just request and the career counselor will make sure your line scores match. I'm hoping to be on a base overseas.

HMHunt
06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Vet502, Overseas orders aren't too hard to get. I had quite a few shitbags in my class with average GPAs go to Japan. We had about 5-6 Japan billets, 1 Italy billet and 1 Hawaii billet. It all just depends what billets are open.

gameingkine
06-16-2013, 08:31 AM
my first job choice was HM but my recruiter said it was a rare job, but when i was there they had both HM and HM assistant open for december and january. my theory is that a wider range of jobs r open right now due to schools getting out and a large amount of graduates coming in

sweetmtn
06-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Just understand that a RESERVIST will not get an overseas billit!

navywife83
06-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Just understand that a RESERVIST will not get an overseas billit!

i think I was the only reservist asking about hm. i dont want overseas... my husband is here :) lol

Ktamse
06-16-2013, 04:10 PM
I suggest going to MEPS asap. I DEP'ed 20130610 and won't ship until 20140317. You sound like me! I'll be turning 26 at RTC and wanted to do something meaningful with my life. I was offered CTT and HM-I worked at a desk job the past 2 years...no way would I go that route. Just request and the career counselor will make sure your line scores match. I'm hoping to be on a base overseas.

I'm hoping to contact a recruiter once I get back from vacation! Good luck!!!!

Ktamse
06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Navywife, you will not have the opportunity to go to a C School as a reservist, unless you sign a HMDA contract and then you'll go through normal A School then go to Dental Assistant C School. As for the question about shore or ship, as a first year Corpsman, you are almost 100% guaranteed to be on shore they don't send many corpsman on ships. There are about 30 on each carrier and even less on smaller ships. A lot of my friends who got sent to Naval Hospital San Diego are attached to the Mercy whenever she deploys, but deployments have been canceled a lot due to budget cuts, so they may never go out.

Thank you for all your help! This actually has me quite excited!!! Ready to contact my recruiter!

HMHunt
06-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Glad I could be of assistance. This site helped me before I left for boot, so I just want to help others with their journey.

Rhonda
09-20-2013, 03:17 PM

My son leaves for bootcamp Jan 7, 14... He will be a HM..
I guess HM school is in Tx now ( when I went it was Great Lakes) Do the ymake the hm's go to FMF or is it still optional? And how can he get the "C" school he wants?

notjustaUSNwife
09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
You get the C-school you want by doing well in Corps School. They won't force him to go to FMTB though.

amcarr
09-28-2013, 08:22 AM
My son leaves for bootcamp Jan 7, 14... He will be a HM..
I guess HM school is in Tx now ( when I went it was Great Lakes) Do the ymake the hm's go to FMF or is it still optional? And how can he get the "C" school he wants?

You get the C-school you want by doing well in Corps School. They won't force him to go to FMTB though.

He may or may not get the c school he wants. He may or may not have to go FMF. It all depends on the orders available when its time for his class to pick.

I graduated June 2012. Two classes ahead of me, every male had to go FMTB. The next class, right before mine, had Zero FMTB orders. For my class there was 20 available FMTB orders and only 15 got chosen. As far as C-Schools available, about 20 chose to go that route, and they were the basic ones that are always available because most people who go to the fleet dont want to chose them: Pharmacy Tech, Surge Tech, and Lab Tech.

Given the fact that the Marines are cutting back numbers, by 20,000, and asking to cut how many corpsman are attached to each marine unit, the necessity of FMF corpsman wont be so high, but it makes sense for as many corpsman to go through FMTB just in case another war or something might break out. Plus its better to go through FMTB while your younger.