PDA

View Full Version : Questions about C Schools

kgervais
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if C Schools were only available if written into your original contract. I was under the impression that C School availability is based on your class ranking at A School.

Would you have to be certified in a certain field like radiation tech in the civilian world to be qualified for the C School?

Auridan
03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
I was wondering if C Schools were only available if written into your original contract. I was under the impression that C School availability is based on your class ranking at A School.

Would you have to be certified in a certain field like radiation tech in the civilian world to be qualified for the C School?

While researching ratings, I got the strong impression that the Navy not only doesn't care what you qualify for as a civilian, but in fact actively discourages people with prior experience from taking a similar rating. Doctors, for example, are apparently not allowed to be Corpsmen. I think the theory behind this is that they don't want to have to waste time un-learning you anything before they teach their own way.

I think the only way to get a C school in your contract is to guarantee a rating that requires it. I don't know this, but I guess you're probably right about people who are hot stuff in A getting the opportunity to go to C, if they show an interest.

EDIT: Just realized you're asking specifically about HM...here's a list of NECs available to that rating, if you're interested. A page that links to this says you can request C school training in any of these. I figure if you do that and you beat your competitors for it, there you go, you're in C.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/hm.-urt.htm

kgervais
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
While researching ratings, I got the strong impression that the Navy not only doesn't care what you qualify for as a civilian, but in fact actively discourages people with prior experience from taking a similar rating. Doctors, for example, are apparently not allowed to be Corpsmen. I think the theory behind this is that they don't want to have to waste time un-learning you anything before they teach their own way.

I think the only way to get a C school in your contract is to guarantee a rating that requires it. I don't know this, but I guess you're probably right about people who are hot stuff in A getting the opportunity to go to C, if they show an interest.

EDIT: Just realized you're asking specifically about HM...here's a list of NECs available to that rating, if you're interested. A page that links to this says you can request C school training in any of these. I figure if you do that and you beat your competitors for it, there you go, you're in C.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/hm.-urt.htm

Haha, thanks. I was wondering because certain NECs like Mortician for HM you have to be certified for beforehand weirdly. I thought it was like that for all of them but my recruiter told me it isn't.