PDA

View Full Version : Dream Sheet?

warehimer33
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
My dad was a Nuke and he was telling me about a dream sheet that people fill out in A school I think he said. He told me I could at least request East or West coast. If I wanted to go to Europe I should choose East coast, correct? What are my chances of going to a European port as a Nuke??

LT Guppy
09-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep, East Coast ships go to Europe.
You can always request East Coast, and places like Virginia usually aren't too hard to get because it's such a huge base in a less desirable location than places like San Diego. But ultimately it comes down to needs of the Navy.

llamayamaa
09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I believe the START guide mentioned something about having to stay CONUS if you're E3 or below with dependents. Anyone know if that's a steadfast rule? I'm ok going where ever they send me, but I really don't want to go overseas for my first assignment...

prop827
09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
In prototype you get a dream sheet where you can select home port or platform on preference. So if you want east coast and put in for homeports of Norfolk, and Groton, you may get them, but you won't have choice on if its a carrier or a sub. You can request platform instead (like boomer or fast attack subs). However, if you are a non-sub vol then platform is irrelevant because its only carriers available, so it comes down to home port. Be warned that if you are planning to go subs, you can still end up being sent to a carrier in prototype, but not the other way around. ANYONE can go to a carrier regardless of if you're a sub vol, but only sub vols can go to subs. You could also put in for specific commands, but you aren't likely to get those (so if you really wanted to Precom, you could put in for a PCU command, but don't count on it)

Also be warned, your dream sheet is your top 5. It in no way means you'll get anything on it, its needs of the navy, but they'll try to accommodate you if that's what you decide if it fits into their needs. That said, you can also trade orders with someone once you all have your orders, if they want your command and you want theirs, as long as you are the same rate with the same NEC (which in prototype means both are third class of same job rate and both with nuke NECs). This is a formal process, so I forget the steps but I know it can be done, I know someone who was a non-sub vol whos friend wished he hadn't sub vol'd and they traded orders so he got orders to a sub and his friend got the orders to the carrier, and he was glad he traded after.

warehimer33
09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
So when you say top 5 you mean I could request that my home port be in Italy? I really want to go to Germany and Italy seems like the closest I'll get to it.

kforbs126
09-06-2012, 03:24 PM
So when you say top 5 you mean I could request that my home port be in Italy? I really want to go to Germany and Italy seems like the closest I'll get to it.

There is only one ship in Italy and it's a flagship. Since you are Nuke you will only have the options of Norfolk, San Diego, Washington(state) and Japan. Unless you go subs then you have a few more options. Germany is going to be hard to get to in the Navy.

warehimer33
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm probably going to request Norfolk as my top. And just hope I get it. Where would ships from the East side go?

prop827
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM
For nukes:

Surface: Norfolk, San Diego, Bremmerton, Washington, or Japan (Or possibly PCU for the new carrier)

Subs (Fast Attack): Groton, CT, Pearl Harbor, HI, Bremmerton, WA, San Diego, CA

Subs (SSBN's and SSGN's): Bremmerton, WA, Kings Bay, GA, Diego Garcia (Forward deployed, go to Kings Bay during Off Crew)

There may be others, but those are the big ones.

LT Guppy
09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm probably going to request Norfolk as my top. And just hope I get it. Where would ships from the East side go?

Norfolk ships go to Africa, the Mediterranean, and the Arabian Gulf/Sea. Also, Central/South America.

warehimer33
09-18-2012, 07:07 PM
What are the odds of getting Norfolk?

LT Guppy
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
What are the odds of getting Norfolk?

Pretty good.

It's such a huge concentration of sailors (there are 6 (I think) navy stations/bases in the area) that there are usually open billets. Especially since it's "less desirable" than places like San Diego.

warehimer33
09-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Okay, good.