PDA

View Full Version : Clarification needed for NUC line scores and the NAPT.

warehimer33
08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I got a NUC score of 247 so I have to take the NAPT. I understand I have to score a 290( my NUC score and NAPT combined). The nuclear power test information(http://www.navycs.com/navy-nuclear-power-test.html) says I have to score a minimum of 55 on the NAPT. So does this mean I have to score a 55 and not just a 43(for my NUC score with the NAPT to be 290)on the NAPT? This is really bewildering.

Darrin
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
you have to get 55 or better on the NAPT anything less, you will fail.

warehimer33
08-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Oh, so I guess the 290 qual is for the people who need greater than a 55. Well this sucks. I hope it's not hard...

cttaef21
08-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Oh, so I guess the 290 qual is for the people who need greater than a 55. Well this sucks. I hope it's not hard...I automatically qualified for it, so I never took the test, but I had a lot of Nukes in my division, and they said it was easy...If you are good at math, it should be a breeze...Just relax and stop Nuking it:rofl: If you rate as a Nuke, get used to hearing that in boot camp haha

warehimer33
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Haha, yeah I hear that from all the Nukes that go through basic. I think I already am nuking it and I haven't even enlisted yet. lol:giljotiini:

tyler durden
08-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I had a nuke score high enough to not require the bravo test (NFQT, if you need it you're a nuke bravo- they expect you to have a harder time), except my math grades in college were HORRIBLE, so I had to take it. Its really easy, but I watched people that I helped prepare for their 2nd attempt really struggle.

If you got to take it, your recruiter can help you out with some NKO lessons to prepare.

Laworlo
08-26-2012, 07:12 AM
When I took the NAPT almost 2 years ago. The minimum passing was 50. I got a 55. For me personally, who at the time had not had a math class in over 7 years, found it very difficult, and I am good at math. For others though, I hear it was relatively easy. How good are you at ADVANCED math, physics, and chemistry?

prop827
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Study up on your math, thats the bulk of it as I recall. I auto-qual'd as a nuke, but had to take the 2nd test because of how long I'd been out of school (I'm an old man, so they made me take it, and scored a 64; after finishing 45 minutes early). Just make sure you review and study your math and the other topics your recruiter points out to you.

warehimer33
08-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I just graduated HS in 2012 so it hasn't been too long since I've had a math class BUT I haven't had a "real" math class since my junior year. I took AP Stat last year; dumbest class in the world. All my math classes have been honors so I'm not really concerned about the math. I'm just fretting about the physics because I've never taken it nor dealt with any physics problems through my math classes. I took honors chem my sophomore year and don't remember really anything as I took it online. I forgot even how to balance equations... -_- My recruiter gave me this sheet that has a butt-load of physics formulas on the front as well as scientific notation and the back of it is all trig but trig is easy to me. SOH CAH TOA, right? lol I don't know at this point. I'm waiting on my recruiter to call me saying he's scheduled me for the NAPT. Until then I'm reading about topics in a college physics book trying to remember the formulas just in case one pops up. I feel so unprepared but I know once I take it I'll be like, "oh, that was it?!". That's pretty much what really concerns me about this test... That and not knowing what will be on it fo' sho'. Anybody know about the calculators(can we use our own? if not, what do they give us?)? I've read that the test is 2 hrs for 80 questions and it's all multiple choice. Any confirmation? Sorry this is a lot but I chose Navy instead of UCF so I have a lot riding on this enlistment. lol

prop827
08-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't remember if it is multiple choice or not, but you do not get your own calculator, they provide you with one, which is the same model required in nuke school, no memory or graphing functions, it will have basic trig functions on it, and basic addition, multiplication, etc. I believe the model is TI-38 but not positive?

warehimer33
08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Okay. I was just hoping they wouldn't just give me a solar calculator from Dollar General or something. lol Did you think the test was hard?

stevebw
09-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I took it back in June and I personally say it's really easy especially since I'm given a calculator. The scientific calc that was given was the TI-30Xa but I guess it just varies which one they have lying around. The test is all multiple choice and most of them requires some sort of math to solve it. There are 80 questions in total and you need to have answered 55 correctly. If you're worried about the chem and physics part of the test, don't be. They're not complex questions so you won't need a whole sheet of paper to map out your work. You don't have to memorize any formulas but you should know the basic stuff (such as properties of Cl or the numerical value of gravity). Good luck :P

warehimer33
09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
properties of Cl? What do you mean by properties? And as for the gravity, I know that it's 9.81m/ss. That's about it.

stevebw
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
properties of Cl? What do you mean by properties? And as for the gravity, I know that it's 9.81m/ss. That's about it.

General properties like the name of it or the atomic number/mass.
Don't forget to familiarize yourself on pulleys and levers. They tend to be favorite physics questions.

warehimer33
09-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Okay, I'm good with that stuff now. Thanks!

IceCold
09-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I remember when I took the NAPT there was some geometry (early trig stuff), identifying parts of a chem equation and common sense physics. I saw one electricity problem, but the instructions explained how to solve it.

warehimer33
09-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I remember when I took the NAPT there was some geometry (early trig stuff), identifying parts of a chem equation and common sense physics. I saw one electricity problem, but the instructions explained how to solve it.

Sweet.