PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB and NAPT

warehimer33
07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I took the ASVAB at MEPS on Monday and physical on Tuesday. I got an AFQT of 89 and a NUC score of 247. What are my odds of getting into the program?? Are they ALWAYS looking for Nuke candidates? Just a little curious on how the "meeting" with the guidance counselor will go at MEPS when I go back to sign.

stevebw
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
From the way I see it, I think they're always looking for Nukes. Normally recruiters try to sell that and SpecOps first to people. I'm sure if you talk to your recruiter about it, he/she will most likely get you that rating. Good Luck!

sweetmtn
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Seems they are always looking for nukes, as the wash out rate is pretty high!

Taylor1991
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I qualified for the nuke program with an 89 on my ASVAB too. If you're a girl, the ship date will most likely be VERY far out if you even get one at all.

stevebw
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I qualified for the nuke program with an 89 on my ASVAB too. If you're a girl, the ship date will most likely be VERY far out if you even get one at all.

Believe it or not, the MEPS that I went to (Fort Hamilton - NY) I met with one of the Nuke sailors and he told me they actually wanted more females. But ship dates are, however, rather far out.

maha556677
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm just REALLY nervous about the NFQT/NAPT. Is it really hard??? My forte is math and I'm a little rusty in physics and chemistry.

Taylor1991
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
When I had enlisted they didn't have any nuke spots open, which is how I got my recruiter to get me to take the DLAB and eventually switch to CTI. The NAPT wasn't bad. More physics than math. And the math that was on there wasn't very fun...I'm more of a calculus girl, but algebra was their angle.

stevebw
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm just REALLY nervous about the NFQT/NAPT. Is it really hard??? My forte is math and I'm a little rusty in physics and chemistry.

Math was really the focus on that test. I hadn't had a physics class in 2 years now and I passed it with ease. You'll do just fine.

prop827
07-08-2012, 12:40 AM
We have a shortage of nukes in the fleet, we need them bad, so a contract is definitely doable, the problem is there is a major backlog of people who have graduated power school and are waiting to go to prototype. This is the cause of the far out ship dates, class up at prototype taking so long. I remember when I left it was about a 6 month delay to ship, no idea what it is now.

warehimer33
07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Has anybody recently taken the NFQT? I am really curious because I read on Google that the recruiter can grade your exam but that seems a little sketchy to me. Is it taken at MEPS or is it taken at the recruiting office??

calie89
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
I just took it about a month ago. I had to go to MEPS, and the admin graded it as soon as I was done. It's not too bad, this coming from someone who has not taken a serious math class in almost 3 years.

warehimer33
07-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm really only nervous about the chem and physics part of the test. I've never taken physics and I took chem over 2 years ago... My NUC score was 247 so does that mean I have to only get a 43 on the NFQT or do I have to still get the minimum passing score which I believe is a 55...?

calie89
07-15-2012, 09:25 AM
There really was not all that much chemistry and physics. And, I have not taken chemistry and/or physics since high school which was over 6 years ago, and I did fine.

I believe you still have to get a 55. I am not completely sure though. You can ask you test administrator though, because they will grade it when you are done.

stevebw
07-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Calie is right, the chemistry and physics isn't emphasized more than it is for math. Any formulas that you would need to know is given on that test so as long as your math is your strong subject, you'll get 60+ easily. You even get a calculator! Whereas the ASVAB didn't, so that made it even easier :-)

warehimer33
07-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Is the math on NAPT like that on the ASVAB or much harder?

calie89
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
The math on the NAPT is not the same level as the math on the ASVAB. It's not really what I would consider hard, especially if the math on the ASVAB was a breeze for you. It just a bit more tedious, like the simplifying of long polynomials and algebraic equations :)

warehimer33
07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Sweet. I can do 3rd grade math any day!