PDA

View Full Version : NUKE (ET, EM, MM) rating info sheets...

Craig
02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Attached are the Nuclear Power Field rating info sheets....

sweetmtn
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is a brief summeray of what you can find by following the "Word" doc file:
The Navy?s Nuclear Field (NF) program offers extensive training as nuclear propulsion plant operators and technicians to young men and women with aptitude in mathematics and science. The standards for selection for enlistment in the Navy?s NF program are high. People applying for NF training must be dedicated to pursuing the challenge this highly technical field offers. Applicants should be mature, responsible, and capable of working well under pressure.

Qualifications. NF candidates must be U.S. citizens less than 25 years old at the time of enlistment, a high school diploma graduate with successful completion of one year of Algebra, and able to meet security clearance requirements.

Obligation. Active duty obligation is six years. Applicants must enlist for four years and concurrently execute an agreement to extend their enlistment for 24 months to accommodate the additional training involved.

Advancement. Personnel selected for nuclear training enter the Navy in paygrade E-3. Accelerated advancement to paygrade E-4 is authorized after personnel complete all advancement-in-rate requirements (to include minimum time in rate) and ?A? School, provided eligibility in the NF Program is maintained.

Enlistment and reenlistment bonuses in addition to Navy salary, special duty assignment pay, and allowances for food and housing are available. Those who volunteer and are selected to serve on nuclear submarines (men only) are eligible for added submarine duty incentive pay from the day they graduate from nuclear training.

Career Opportunities. Three Navy job specialties, called ?ratings?, are included in the NF community: Machinist?s Mate (MM), Electrician?s Mate (EM), and Electronics Technician (ET). The rating in which a NF candidate is trained is determined at the Recruit Training Center.
________
Colorado Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

blakem0127
02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
all the information is great, but generally vague...

what are the day to day type things each rate does?
I'm talking layman's terms here

sweetmtn
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
According to my son as an MM nuke, lots of scraping with a metal brush(he said when he first got the fleet, if you werent wearing out a brush every day, you werent working hard enough!), then repaint, fix water pumps, fix broken or cracked pipes, in his words, "Mom, I am a glorified plumber with a REALLY big wrench!"

tjsgirl
02-17-2012, 07:26 AM
According to my son as an MM nuke, lots of scraping with a metal brush(he said when he first got the fleet, if you werent wearing out a brush every day, you werent working hard enough!), then repaint, fix water pumps, fix broken or cracked pipes, in his words, "Mom, I am a glorified plumber with a REALLY big wrench!"

:rofl: My husband is hoping to go MM. I'll have to tell him that :rofl:

blakem0127
02-21-2012, 09:29 PM
any descriptions on EM and ET ratings?

prop827
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
EM's deal with all the wiring and electrical work in the power plant. Fixing circuits and breakers, and doing routine maintenance work on the electrical generation systems on Carriers and Subs. On Subs, there are ONLY nuke EM's so you get the added pleasure of fixing ALL the electrical stuff, not just the nuke stuff. EM's are glorified electricians.

ETs on the other hand, sit around and drink energy drinks.... sorry, I'm a little biased. They operate the reactor controls and do maintenance on the control systems. They spend a lot of time sitting at the control panels. They also do maintenance, but its on smaller circuits and solid state circuits, so not nearly as much maintenance as EMs.

As far as Nuke goes, you really don't get to choose which one you'll be, they will tell you. You request your top 2 jobs from the three, but they pick it for you. So be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

sweetmtn
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Well, my son was an MM, and he really liked his rate and the job he did, he now being out of the navy has found that he is the HIGHEST paid of the 3 rates from the nuclear field. He works in at a chemical plant now and only being there 3 months now, is making $31.05 an hour, while those that were in the electrical field only make about $17 an hour...he was WAY SHOCKED! Plus those that can do his job get way more overtime, as mechanical stuff breaks more often than electrical! Most of those he works with now were all nukes in the navy!