PDA

View Full Version : More HM rating info stuff...

Craig
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Rating_Badge_HM.jpg/60px-Rating_Badge_HM.jpg
Hospital Corpsman (HM)

Hospital Corpsmen are medical professionals who provide health care to service people and their families. They serve as pharmacy technicians, medical technicians, nurse's aides, physician's or dentist's assistants, battlefield medics, and more. All work falls into several categories: first aid and minor surgery, patient transportation, patient care, prescriptions and laboratory work, food service inspections, and clerical duties.

Hospital Corpsman (HM) perform duties as assistants in the prevention and treatment of disease and injury and assist health care professionals in providing medical care to Navy people and their families. They may function as clinical or specialty technicians, medical administrative personnel and health care providers at medical treatment facilities. They also serve as battlefield corpsmen with the Marine Corps, rendering emergency medical treatment to include initial treatment in a combat environment. Qualified hospital corpsmen may be assigned the responsibility of independent duty aboard ships and submarines; Fleet Marine Force, Special Forces and Seabee units, and at isolated duty stations where no medical officer is available.

Duties performed by HM's include:

assisting in prevention and treatment of disease and injuries;
caring for sick and injured;
administering immunization programs;
rendering emergency medical treatment;
instructing sailors and marines in first aid, self aid and personal hygiene procedures;
transporting the sick and injured;
conducting preliminary physical examinations;
performing medical administrative, supply and accounting procedures;
maintaining treatment records and reports;
supervising shipboard and field environmental sanitation and preventive medicine programs;
supervising air, water, food and habitability standards;
performing clinical laboratory tests and operating sophisticated laboratory equipment;
taking and processing X-rays and operating X-ray equipment;
filling prescriptions, maintaining pharmacy stock;
serving as operating room technicians for general and specialized surgery;
performing preventive maintenance and repairs on biomedical equipment.

Working Environment
Hospital corpsmen work in a variety of environments. Most HMs works indoors in hospitals or clinics. Others work aboard ships and submarines; with air squadrons, special operational environments (e.g., SEAL, Recon Forces, Seabee units and Deep-sea Diving). Duties are service oriented, repetitive and require good judgement and mental alertness. HM's may work alone or with supervision by other health professionals, depending on the assignment.
Women are assigned to most ships and field medical support units of the Fleet Marine Force (FMF). Women are not assigned to submarines, with the SEALs, or some units of the FMF.

A-School (Job School) Information
Great Lakes, IL --96 calendar days
A-School teaches basic principles and techniques of patient care and first aid procedures through group and modular instruction. After completion of "A" school, hospital corpsmen are normally assigned to Navy medical treatment facilities although some are assigned to operational units. Advanced training in a "C" school, a tour at sea or ashore, overseas or with the Marine Corps may follow this initial tour. The HM field has several sub-specialities in which personnel may request advanced "C" school training (see "Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating," below).
En route to their first permanent duty stations, most male HMs will be assigned to either Field Medical Service School, Camp Lejeune NC, or Camp Pendleton CA, for specialized training in the knowledge and skills required to perform medical services in the field with the Marine Corps and/or the "Seabees."

Security Clearance Requirement: None (Note: Some assignments may require a Security Clearance)

Other Requirements

Applicants must be informed that they will be assigned to duties involving direct patient care and clinical services
Male applicants must be informed that they may be assigned to the Fleet Marine Force for duty.
60 month service obligation
A licensed physician or dentist licensed or graduate of medical or dental school in any country is not eligible for this rating.
No history of drug abuse or commission of offenses involving alcohol, narcotics or other controlled substances with the exception of experimental or casual use of marijuana.
Applicants must be of the highest standards as requirements are strictly adhered to before accession into the HM community.

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating

First Sea Tour: N/A months
First Shore Tour: N/A months
Second Sea Tour: N/A months
Second Shore Tour: N/A months
Third Sea Tour: N/A months
Third Shore Tour: N/A months
Fourth Sea Tour: N/A months
Forth Shore Tour: N/A months
Note: Enlisted sea shore flow career paths for the Hospital Corpsman community are dependent upon the sailor's specific NEC or specialty. Sailors in the HIM community can expect 36 month sea tours followed by 36 month shore tours except for those with NEC's that are shore-intensive. Those with operational extensive NEC's can expect longer sea tour lengths.

HM.Colyar
08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/19/Rating_Badge_HM.jpg/60px-Rating_Badge_HM.jpg
Hospital Corpsman (HM)

A-School (Job School) Information
Great Lakes, IL --96 calendar days

Just read that they have moved A-school for HM rating to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX.

HMBeaty
08-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Unless this has changed, ALL HM's are now required to go FMF (providing they meet the physical/medical requirements). So, to those who are about to go to FMTB or joining to be a HM, good luck in Field Medical Training Battalion! It's hell but it's fun!

vabchsue
08-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey - a fellow Hampton Roads resident onthe board! Where in Chesapeake are you? I'm in Virginia Beach (can ya tell??? lol) and welcome to NavyDep.

Nick'sMom
09-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Unless this has changed, ALL HM's are now required to go FMF (providing they meet the physical/medical requirements). So, to those who are about to go to FMTB or joining to be a HM, good luck in Field Medical Training Battalion! It's hell but it's fun!

Can you tell me where you found this information? I am the mom of a future Depper who is insisting on HM but when I told him this he said it didn't make any sense and was a mistake. All I can find is that's most likely, not mandatory.He's 17 and stubborn :)

Thanks.

HMBeaty
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey - a fellow Hampton Roads resident onthe board! Where in Chesapeake are you? I'm in Virginia Beach (can ya tell??? lol) and welcome to NavyDep.
Chesapeake, VA
Can you tell me where you found this information? I am the mom of a future Depper who is insisting on HM but when I told him this he said it didn't make any sense and was a mistake. All I can find is that's most likely, not mandatory.He's 17 and stubborn :)

Thanks.
I'm not sure of the source as that was just information that was passed through my command. Anyway, being a male, if he's going HM, and he passes all the physical/medical checks, I can pretty much guarantee he'll go through FMTB. Might want to tell him good luck now ;)

Nick'sMom
09-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Chesapeake, VA

I'm not sure of the source as that was just information that was passed through my command. Anyway, being a male, if he's going HM, and he passes all the physical/medical checks, I can pretty much guarantee he'll go through FMTB. Might want to tell him good luck now ;)

Thanks for the quick response. I'll let him know.

sweetmtn
09-04-2011, 10:09 PM
From what I have been told by the recruiters in my area that only females are NOT going to FMTB, that all males will...it is overmaned so that is the only option for males at this time.

dreweezy
10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
im a hm and it says my A schools right across the street from basic??

SWarford
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
So has anyone gained any sort of new information this rating? Between what retired Sailors and Marines have said, my recruiter and Navy Liaison Yeomen at MEPs, and the Navy Corpsman Facebook page, and a couple of other active duty Sailors, the information is contradicting. Some say all males go HM-8404 for C school or that the program has been integrated into A school. Some say FMF is a rare billet to get these days, some say its all they have.
Any current HM mind setting this right once and for all? It seems a lot has changed in the past few years.

buick0067
06-14-2012, 12:49 AM
So has anyone gained any sort of new information this rating? Between what retired Sailors and Marines have said, my recruiter and Navy Liaison Yeomen at MEPs, and the Navy Corpsman Facebook page, and a couple of other active duty Sailors, the information is contradicting. Some say all males go HM-8404 for C school or that the program has been integrated into A school. Some say FMF is a rare billet to get these days, some say its all they have.
Any current HM mind setting this right once and for all? It seems a lot has changed in the past few years.

I am a future HM in DEP, BUT I talked with a friend of mine that is currently a HM and he tells me that attending FMTB and obtaining 8404 is mandatory to stay in the rate. With that said I am not sure if actually getting an FMF billet is easy or not. I too would like some more clarification on this if anyone has some insight

RysMomma
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
My son is signed up to be a HM. Still in the DEP pool but will be headed to Bootcamp in September. I haven't read anything about "A" school anywhere, but I did see something about "C" school. He's been in JROTC for 4 years so he is going in as an E3 ... What does all this mean?? ... Sorry for my stupidity, but this is my first Military experience & I know nothing!
~Lynette

stevebw
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
My son is signed up to be a HM. Still in the DEP pool but will be headed to Bootcamp in September. I haven't read anything about "A" school anywhere, but I did see something about "C" school. He's been in JROTC for 4 years so he is going in as an E3 ... What does all this mean?? ... Sorry for my stupidity, but this is my first Military experience & I know nothing!
~Lynette

First off, I'd like to say congrats to your son on getting the HM rating (it's not easy so I've been told!). From my understanding, he will be graduating from BC as a Hospitalman and from there he goes to A-School in San Antonio, Tx. All HM goes to A-School. C-School on the other hand is an advanced training school and goes beyond the basics they teach you in A-School. Not everyone goes to C-School however. Hope that helps!

buick0067
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
~Lynette

I am also a HM in DEP. I am shipping in October. A school is immediately after boot camp. It is where he will learn how to be an HM or Hospital Corpsman. It is 14 weeks at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX. If you go to youtube.com and search for METC there is a great video that shows the campus and training. After that school he will get orders to his first duty station. Depending on his orders he may get a "C" school. It is a little more specific training. ie Dental Tech, Radiology Tech, Field Medic etc. These are just base on the needs of the Navy. They last between 9-30 weeks.
Because the Marine Corps does not have there own medical division, they use the Navy's medical personnel so there is also another school he may go to called FMTB. It is 8 weeks long I believe, and is in either at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside CA of Fort Lejuene in Jackson North Carolina. Again on youtube.com if you search FMTB the video titled FMTB West part 1 is a great one to show the training. This training is more combat based and works on battlefield medicine.
E-3 is his rank, and paygrade. Most enter boot camp E-1. E-3 is the highest you can get while in boot camp without having some sort of a advanced technical field as your job. Not only is it more pay but it gets him to be able to advance to E-4 which is a Petty Officer 3rd class sooner.
Below is a good link that lists all the classifications you can get through the various "C" schools.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/hm.-urt.htm
I am not sure but seeing that his ship date is close to mine there may be a chance we will go to "A" school together.
Good Luck!

Craig
07-04-2012, 12:22 AM
To see all the Navy Enlisted Classifications (Job), just go to this official link, do a ctrl-F, and type HM. This has a write up that is excellent for all the different positions.

The HM rating is mostly in the 8400 series of numbers. This book is in numerical order.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/nec/NECOSVolII/Documents/18068F%20Vol%20II%20Entire%20Manual.pdf

OmahaRudy
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
~Lynette

Hi -- I'm a newbie, so be kind. My son's PIR is 7/27 so he'll be heading to SA soon! His rating is HMDA is that what everyone is these days or is their a separate HM rating, too?

Craig
07-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi -- I'm a newbie, so be kind. My son's PIR is 7/27 so he'll be heading to SA soon! His rating is HMDA is that what everyone is these days or is their a separate HM rating, too?

Welcome Omaha....
If you go HM (Hospital Corpsman) or HMDA (Hospital Corpsman Dental Assisting) you still receive the same training, however you receive follow on training for dental which is about 5 weeks long.

You are considered to be a HM first and a dental tech second. You'll find that either way you go, you will definitely get your hands dirty with medical stuff. They usually tie in hand to hand. It also depends on what platform you are billeted to: the clinic life will be very fast paced followed by hard work. If you are on a carrier or amphib you have more room to grow, you will be doing a lot of emergency medicine on duty section and apart of your regular day. GQ you will be put into a BDS and expected to know your stuff. At any rate if you are unsatisfied with you have the dental NEC 8701 or 8702, you can drop it at E5 and become NEC 0000. It wouldn't hurt to get some extra training, if you were ever stationed on a small boy you are the doc. HMDA are one of two people usually, the second being an Indepenent Duty Corpsman (IDC).

Till this day dental emergencies are still the number one reason for medivacs in the fleet.
All the NEC are in numerical order here. Just scroll down to 8701 & 8702

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/nec/NECOSVolII/Documents/18068F%20Vol%20II%20Entire%20Manual.pdf
-------------------------------------------
Here are the NEC for Dental assisting:

8701 - Dental Assistant
Perform duties as a general dental assistant to include dental infection control, dental treatment room management, preventive dentistry,
comprehensive dental assisting, and intraoral radiography.
Source Rating: HM
Course: Mandatory
Sequence Code: 1
Component NEC:
Primary Advisor: BUMED M005C
Billet Paygrades: E3-E5
CIN: B-300-3300
B-300-3301
B-300-3310
ESTB Date: REV Date: 10/6/11
Related NEC:
Technical Advisor: NAVMED MPT&E
Personnel Paygrades: E1-E5
CDP: 00AM, 05JR
02WD
03JN, 06VP
NR Ind: R
Open to Women: Yes
ECM: BUPERS-32
NOTE: Last reviewed during “CIN/CDP” refresh completed 10/6/11.

----------------------------------------------
8702 - Advanced Dental Assistant
Perform duties as general dental assistant to include reversible operative dentistry and prosthodontic procedures, clinical infection control procedures,
application of pit and fissure sealants and anti-cariogenic agents. Provide auxiliary support to dental hygienist, polishing restorations, carrier’s
prevention treatments and instructions and advanced patient management and administrative skills.
Source Rating: HM
Course: Mandatory
Sequence Code: 1
Component NEC:
Primary Advisor: BUMED M005C
Billet Paygrades: E4-E7
CIN: B-330-1011
ESTB Date: REV Date: 9/9/11
Related NEC:
Technical Advisor: NAVMED MPT&E
Personnel Paygrades: E3-E7
CDP: 03BZ
NR Ind: A
Open to Women: Yes
ECM: BUPERS-32
NOTE: Last reviewed during “CIN/CDP” refresh completed 9/9/11

RysMomma
07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you, for your response, it was very helpful. It would be kinda cool if you were in his training class, our Last name is Laskie ... He's a great kid & I am so beyond proud of him! He is excited about going & I hope he keeps up the enthusiasm! I know it'll be good for him, I just hate that I'm not gonna be able to talk to him for 8 weeks, other then writing letters. Good luck to you as well buick0067!

kgervais
11-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Do HMs attached to an FMF get any kind of clearance? Are there any HM specialties that are eligible for a top secret clearance?

HMPrz
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Anyone know how the barracks in Fort Sam are like?

OscarHM09
02-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Anyone know how the barracks in Fort Sam are like?

They're brand new so probably better than any other place you are going to end up. I didn't stay in them personally as I was living out in town but they have their own bathrooms with showers and a sink for each person. A lot better than I had in GL.

Mako17
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone! I'm also an HMDA. Will i be able to bring my family to A School in Fort Sam?

OscarHM09
02-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone! I'm also an HMDA. Will i be able to bring my family to A School in Fort Sam?

Sorry, but no. If you have dependents however you should be able to receive BAH

Xev
03-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Did you get HMDA ahead of hand? Meaning guaranteed on your contract? Just wondering.
Would Reserve HM go through the stuff Actives ones would go?

stevebw
03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Did you get HMDA ahead of hand? Meaning guaranteed on your contract? Just wondering.

Yes, it's possible.

Would Reserve HM go through the stuff Actives ones would go?

Reserves would go to the same A-School as active duty members would.

DunkinGOnuts
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Good info!

Xev
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes, it's possible.

Reserves would go to the same A-School as active duty members would.

Thanks,
Do you know if you could get any C School for reserve after A School? Any way to be "elegible" or have better chances?

stevebw
03-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks,
Do you know if you could get any C School for reserve after A School? Any way to be "elegible" or have better chances?

For reserves, they usually have something attached to their contract such as DA, or FMTB. So you won't be needing to pick your orders at A-School.

linsky
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
So is it correct to say that if you do well in A school,they can send you to C school? What are the criteria? Or depending on the need on the navy? How do they determine if you are assigned to Marine combat?

stevebw
03-30-2013, 12:14 AM
So is it correct to say that if you do well in A school,they can send you to C school? What are the criteria? Or depending on the need on the navy? How do they determine if you are assigned to Marine combat?

Having a high GPA will allow you to get first dibs on any billets available. So if you have the highest GPA in your class, and there's a C-School that you really want with only 1 or 2 spots open then you'll be one of the two people that gets it.

Getting FMTB is just a matter of whether or not it's available.

chimgirl
07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I am currently in DEP and my rate is HM (I leave for RTC on December 24)... the information i got from MEPS (I just went in June) is that A school is in the Great Lakes, but i keep reading that it was moved to Texas... I'm just confused

Haasino
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I am currently in DEP and my rate is HM (I leave for RTC on December 24)... the information i got from MEPS (I just went in June) is that A school is in the Great Lakes, but i keep reading that it was moved to Texas... I'm just confused

98% of what you get at MEPS is outdated and incorrect. HM A School is in Texas now at Fort Sam Houston.

chimgirl
07-21-2013, 05:32 PM
98% of what you get at MEPS is outdated and incorrect. HM A School is in Texas now at Fort Sam Houston.
Thank you

djessee
07-22-2013, 06:05 AM
I recently joined the navy my rate is HM. I ship out December 9th for basic the 10th. My A School is in San Antonio Texas and is scheduled for 19 weeks.

HMRivera
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi I also have the rate HM and I ship out December 10th. It would be cool to know people ahead of time to make things easier and to just have someone to talk to so at anytime anyone can message me if they want.

djessee
08-22-2013, 04:48 PM
I ship out Dec 10 to

HMRivera
08-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I ship out Dec 10 to

Hey so if you want to message me on here anytime that would be cool

Kyledmorgan
08-23-2013, 08:25 AM
HMRivera/djessee,

Since I report for RTC on the 12th Of December the two of you start on the 10th providing none of us are help back during RTC and do okay it looks like all three of us will start A school together.

HMRivera
08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
HMRivera/djessee,

Since I report for RTC on the 12th Of December the two of you start on the 10th providing none of us are help back during RTC and do okay it looks like all three of us will start A school together.

Cool so I'll be seeing you guys at boot camp and A school. Its nice to know people ahead of time

HMHunt
08-26-2013, 10:29 PM
If any of you have questions about HM you are more than welcome to message me. I am a Corpsman and I'm more than happy to answer any questions. People who don't have the rank just speculate or post what they've heard.

amcarr
09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
HMRivera/djessee,

Not necessarily, a difference in a day could mean a week or so difference in graduating from boot camp. Some divisions at boot camp are longer than others depending on if you get put in an accelerated division or not. You have no control over this. I arrived to boot camp with about 200 other recruits. Some graduated a week before me, and a few the week or 2 after. Some 2 months due to injuries.

Once you get to corps school, there is about a month average hold on classing up. You will most likely get to see each other at corps school but probably not the same class. Also, at corps school you might make a small group of friends in the other classes, but will spend most of your time with people from your class because you will be studying for the upcoming test.

HMYert
10-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi, I am a newbie so be gentle. I am an HM shipping to GL currently on 17FEB2014, however we are trying to roll me in early. I got advanced rank of E-3. I really want to get a C-School. You mentioned that your GPA helps you. GPA at A-School or from education prior? I ask cause my undergrad I didn't do so hot but I went for my Master's degree and I had a high GPA there cause I got my act together. Will they base it off my GPA from Grad school? As you can probably guess I am joining at a late stage in life, when I ship I will be 29 years old.

kforbs126
10-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi, I am a newbie so be gentle. I am an HM shipping to GL currently on 17FEB2014, however we are trying to roll me in early. I got advanced rank of E-3. I really want to get a C-School. You mentioned that your GPA helps you. GPA at A-School or from education prior? I ask cause my undergrad I didn't do so hot but I went for my Master's degree and I had a high GPA there cause I got my act together. Will they base it off my GPA from Grad school? As you can probably guess I am joining at a late stage in life, when I ship I will be 29 years old.

It's GPA from A school and why are you going enlisted with a master's degree?

HMYert
10-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info on the GPA. My Master's is in Theology but I am not qualified to be a Chaplain and I really want to do something in the medical field.

notjustaUSNwife
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Just because I'm a curious person, which C-school do you think you want? I'm older as well (25) with a bachelor's and 2 classes from a master's that I really should finish some day.

HMYert
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Just because I'm a curious person, which C-school do you think you want? I'm older as well (25) with a bachelor's and 2 classes from a master's that I really should finish some day.

I am interested in X-Ray Tech, Respiratory Therapy Tech and Surgical Tech. When do you ship out for BC?

notjustaUSNwife
10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I am interested in X-Ray Tech, Respiratory Therapy Tech and Surgical Tech. When do you ship out for BC?

I ship Dec 3. I wish I could leave now lol.

HMYert
10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I ship Dec 3. I wish I could leave now lol.

totally understand the feeling. My recruiters have put in a request to move up my ship date but nothing so far. I ship 17Feb so I will be coming in as you are leaving. Keep in touch when you get to A-School.

HMHunt
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Let me just say, coming in with a Master's degree and going surg tech would be one of the dumbest things you could do. Yes, you get certified as a surgical tech in the civilian sector coming out of c school, but the money in it isn't worth it, especially someone with the education that you already have. Resp tech and X-Ray tech is where the money is at with those c schools. Personally, I would go to the fleet for 2 years straight out of a school, then put in a package for Nuke med or Bio Med. You'll get in no problem because they will see that you wouldn't take it lightly. With those certifications, you would make real good money in the civilian sector.