NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Deppers & Bootcamp > Deppers - Post your questions here...

Family Fun at Sarge’s Meet-n-Greet every Thursday night before Graduation....the best!....

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
MMan
I made my 1st post!!!!

Default Medical Records Access

My recruiter has told me that the form for access to medical records is specific for his office and once I ship it will be destroyed, meaning the Navy no longer has access to my past records. My father (ex-army) also says the military does not have access to all your past medical records. Is there any truth to this? I am inclined to believe it since my father agreed, but it sounds wrong regardless.
Thanks for the help.
MMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
icemanclix

Well. I'm not going to lie. But my recruiter told me they can't either. But other people tell me they can. Personally I think they only know what you tell them. I did not disclose a broken bone when I was 14. Wif they knew everything why would they ask. I know its wrong to lie but I'm sure I'm not the only one.
icemanclix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Haasino

Medical seems to be the one part of the process where lying has become almost institutionalized. I disclosed my past LASIK surgery from 5 years prior and, despite 20/20 vision and documentation, it took 2 months waiting on the edge of my seat for the waiver to clear... and in the end, the optometrist they sent me to couldn't even find any trace that I had the procedure done (Probably why is cost nearly $6k, heh)!

When I took her notes back to the MEPS doc, he chuckled and said. "if only you'd known it wasn't detectable, you could've saved us all a lot of time"...
Haasino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
sweetmtn

Saying they cant find stuff from your past is kind of funny....just like they tell you if you had a juvenile record that it is "sealed" when you turn 18... If the government wants it, THEY WILL GET IT! NOTHING is gone forever! NOTHING!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Haasino

The way I've always looked at it is like this...

Sure, you can lie about medical stuff and anything else that's not easily accessible through a centralized computer system (criminal records), and the Navy probably won't ever find out about it. But what if you decide to change ratings down the road and go into something that requires a high security clearance? What if you have an opportunity within your own rating to take an assignment that requires a high clearance?

As aircrew, I only have to get a secret clearance, so I probably could've lied about getting LASIK and MEPS never would've found out... but from what I've heard, there are some assignments within the aircrew series ratings that involve higher clearances and Personnel Reliability Program interviews (I'm guessing TACAMO stuff?). What would happen if I got strapped into a polygraph and asked if I've ever lied on a government form?

Not worth it, in my opinion...
Haasino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Craig
Administrator

Your medical records are accessible by the Navy. You will sign a form that allows them to always look at them.

Some people think they are able to hide medical stuff. You really can't hide any medical condition. The only way I've seen is if you pay cash for exams and register under an assumed name. If you ever used health insurance, then your name is flagged and big brother can tell what office you went to, and what prescriptions you were issued. It's a simple background check.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
NOTHING is gone forever! NOTHING!
Virginity is....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Virginity is....

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
USNavsailor

From what I gathered and also being in the medical field for a bit.. Under HIPAA the only people that have access to your medical records are you and your doctor. I read all the papers we signed at the office and MEPS and the only "medical" waiver that is signed is a waiver giving permission to check any records regarding mental health.. Ie. Counseling, etc. Otherwise it's against the law for anyone to look through your medical records without your permission. Why would they ask if they could bypass and just look for themselves??
USNavsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
AVSailor

They can check anything they want to
The question is more so, will they.

& That is something no one knows. They can and they might
They can and they might not.

Its a game of fate really. But you did sign your rights away on the hippa agreement. It gives them any right to look into your medical records.
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
USNavsailor

Which form? Because on all forms I signed there was only one related to medical. Everything else was credit, background, etc.
USNavsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Soon to be ABE

From what i've gathered they can not look at your medical records due to the HIPAA act if your going for just a security clearance. Now if your going for a TS or SBI clearance then thats when you sign the rights away for them to look into all your medical history from your past. I've looked into this as well.
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
AVSailor

Guys. I promise you, if you give them any reason to look security clearance or not you signed it away. You did. Or you wouldn't be in Dep.

Don't worry about it though. really.
AVSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
nick93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ABE View Post
From what i've gathered they can not look at your medical records due to the HIPAA act if your going for just a security clearance. Now if your going for a TS or SBI clearance then thats when you sign the rights away for them to look into all your medical history from your past. I've looked into this as well.
You do sign a paper at the recruiters office saying that you give the military permission to look into your medical records. BUT like others have said they can't just go looking into your records for no reason at all. And even still if they do have a reason to look they need to request a certain time period to look into.

Last edited by Auridan; 08-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote