NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Deppers & Bootcamp > Deppers > Deppers - Post your questions here...

Family Fun at Sarge’s Meet-n-Greet and every Thursday night before Graduation....the best!....

Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Banks

Currently, I have an account with a Colorado bank. However, as I won't be stationed in Colorado, I will probably switch banks once I get to A school in SC. My question is, would it be better to set up direct deposit into my current account and just switch later, or just let the Navy set up an account for me with Navy Federal and have my paychecks go there?

Right now, I'm leaning toward setting up the direct deposit with my current bank, as I already have online banking setup and have my debit card, meaning I can easily access my money while on liberty after bootcamp. If I get an account with Navy Federal, will I get my debit card/checks while in bootcamp, or will I have to visit a branch and make a withdraw to access my money?

Thanks in advance.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

The Navy doesn't set up an account for you with Navy Fed, you have to do it and you'll have a chance to at the beginning. My son set one up before he left for BC since we live where we do and there are a lot of branches around here. He had no problems opening it up ahead of time. That was one less thing he had to do once he arrived at Great Lakes.
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
SMunson

SMunson is on a distinguished road

I personally have heard so many people praise USAA that I chose to go with them, just another thought for you to consider. In my personal opinion, they're super awesome. It's the best customer service I've received from a bank.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Nick'sMom

Nick'sMom is on a distinguished road

I thought you had to already be in the military to sign up with USAA. Can Deppers open an account too?
Nick'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
vabchsue

He did try USAA but he ended up closing it since he was happier with Navy Fed. And he has an account with one of the big banks that he opened before he went into the military. We also opened up accounts with Navy Fed even though we are with one of the "big" banks.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Guppy
**Active Duty**

Guppy will become famous soon enough

We use Navy Fed too (USAA for insurance though).

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
vabchsue

We're with State Farm and he just kept it there too.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
SMunson

To answer Nick'sMom's question: yes, deppers can open accounts as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
vabchsue

That's what I thought I was basically saying re to my son.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
blakem0127

blakem0127 is on a distinguished road

thanks for asking this, i was debating the same thing... I have a current account with Citibank. Are the benefits better with USAA and/or NavyFed, considering i have a no minimum required balance (through my current job).

Will there be any better benefits offered through those banks better than the "no minimum" ???????
blakem0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Guppy
**Active Duty**

Guppy will become famous soon enough

My husband maintains an account with Chase and NavyFed. Just personal preference. (though if you're with NavyFed, you get paid a day early - I don't get why that's such a big deal for some people, but apparently it is)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
SMunson

USAA will refund $15 in other bank's ATM fees per month and I foresee convenience in being able to consolidate banking, insurance and potentially investing all under one roof. It's a personal preference for sure. I'm fairly certain (no research done to support this) that most of the "military friendly" banks will offer some leniency during times when making monthly payments could be difficult.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
FS_Wernsman

FS_Wernsman is on a distinguished road

Haven't heard much about USAA but my husband & I set up an account with Navy Fed although we already have an account with USBank. I wanted him to no problem with having access and ease of knowing bills could be paid because we've ran into problems like that with current bank. Plus the benefits they offer to their members were a factor..ie paid day earlier, car loans, mortgages...things for the future.

I ship in March so I'm hoping we can finalize everything beforehand so we have our debit cards and that both of us can be familiar with their policies and online banking access.

If you're married and/or have dependants and either dont have a bank or not a reliable one I suggest opening an account before shipping to RTC. If you're single with no dependants its really a personal choice.

Hope I helped
FS_Wernsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

I totally agree with vabchsue!!!! (She knows her stuff)

I absolutely LOVE Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU). They are totally awesome.

With that said, I have had about 1,000,000 argument with various moms (at NavyforMoms) about Deppers not being able to join. Unlike our website where our moms know their stuff, these one on N4M just pass false rumors around. It's like a cancer effect. They keep saying deppers can't join (which is a bunch of bullshit). You can join NFCU as a depper. Go to this link which list who can join and read the paragraph that says "All Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) Personnel"

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/el...-checklist.php

My recommendation, just as vabchsue said, is join now, and make it easy in boot camp by already having it set up.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
vabchsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I totally agree with vabchsue!!!! (She knows her stuff)

I absolutely LOVE Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU). They are totally awesome.

With that said, I have had about 1,000,000 argument with various moms (at NavyforMoms) about Deppers not being able to join. Unlike our website where our moms know their stuff, these one on N4M just pass false rumors around. It's like a cancer effect. They keep saying deppers can't join (which is a bunch of bullshit). You can join NFCU as a depper. Go to this link which list who can join and read the paragraph that says "All Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) Personnel"

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/el...-checklist.php

My recommendation, just as vabchsue said, is join now, and make it easy in boot camp by already having it set up.
Thank you Craig. I really appreciate what you said.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

I honestly have never checked into USAA as a bank. I have checked for car insurance however, and they told me that they won't allow me to purchase car insurance until after I go to basic. Deppers aren't allowed.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
vabchsue

I'd still go with Navy Federal for my banking needs though. So much easier.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMunson View Post
USAA will refund $15 in other bank's ATM fees per month and I foresee convenience in being able to consolidate banking, insurance and potentially investing all under one roof. It's a personal preference for sure. I'm fairly certain (no research done to support this) that most of the "military friendly" banks will offer some leniency during times when making monthly payments could be difficult.
NFCU does this as well, although, I believe it's up to $20 in other ATM fees. If you have active duty checking with NFCU, you'll get paid at least a day early (or in my case, actually on time).

USAA has the SAME benefits. Personally, we haven't had an issues with NFCU, but I know a LOT of people who have.. And you'll hear about a lot of people who have/do. It's up to you, I don't know a single person with USAA that complains, but I do know a lot of people with NFCU. I didn't like the thought of not having a branch to walk into if I ran into any issues, which is the main reason we've stuck with NFCU. That is a personal reason, and it's always going to depend on what you prefer.. However, I definitely agree, open an account now!

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

In boot camp you get 3 choices: Navy Federal, Armed Forces Bank, and Hometown bank (you need your direct deposit good to go to do this). I don't know anyone who went with Armed Forces. In boot camp you'll have 3 chances to sign up for Navy Federal. At the beginning you can sign up and use it as direct deposit (which is what most people do). Then about half way through boot camp Navy Fed comes and gives a financial brief and you can sign up for an account then, then near the end they come in for a final brief and you can sign up there too. I had a hometown bank in boot camp and opened a Navy Fed account in boot camp at the last chance I had. If you plan on getting Navy Fed, do it in boot camp. There is no Navy Fed on base in Charleston, you have to go to the branch in Charleston, and you can only do it on fridays after 4pm since when you arrive you're phase 1 and can only leave base on weekends.

Personally, I have switched my direct deposit to navy fed and love it. ATM fees get refunded every month and they take good care of us from my experience.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote