NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough
Default What to review for the pipeline? (Not an NAPT thread)

Greetings,

I'm shipping 04Jun2014 for the nuclear field and just a brief background on myself. I have a bachelors in a liberal arts major, but I have taken college classes in chem, precal, and calc. Did pretty well in them but I know I'll have to work my butt off in charleston. I know that they teach you everything you need to know but I have access to a few nuclear engineering textbooks, a physics for dummies book (which helped me a lot for the NAPT) and a few other chem books. What would be good to review before getting to A-School? I know the material is classified and it's not like I'm getting ahead but I'm blessed with some time before shipping out and I want to train the noggin.

Thanks!
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

What ever you read in books...may not be the same as what the NAVY wants you to know. My son said there were some college grads in his class at nuke school, and those guys had the hardest time as they didnt deal well with having to RE-learn everything...as what they thought they knew was not HOW the navy wanted them to know it. My son had the hardest time with many of the algebra and calculus equations at nuke school, as they were totally different that what he had learned prior in high school and community college...then he realised most of the equations in nuke school were actually what he had learned in 8TH grade! lol...his teacher was a navy nuke prior to being a teacher!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

So do you think we should attempt to review some of the algebra equations or just wait? Do they have a "re-teach you our math" class haha. Or is that something you'll have to catch up on during the study hours?
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
What ever you read in books...may not be the same as what the NAVY wants you to know. My son said there were some college grads in his class at nuke school, and those guys had the hardest time as they didnt deal well with having to RE-learn everything...as what they thought they knew was not HOW the navy wanted them to know it. My son had the hardest time with many of the algebra and calculus equations at nuke school, as they were totally different that what he had learned prior in high school and community college...then he realised most of the equations in nuke school were actually what he had learned in 8TH grade! lol...his teacher was a navy nuke prior to being a teacher!
I figured this may have been the case, my game plan was to go down there with at least the juices flowing in my head knowing I'm sharp. I don't want to get into a situation where I have what I have learned conflicting with what is being taught. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
NeveroddoreveN

NeveroddoreveN is on a distinguished road
Default Attention to detail

Best advice is to review HOW you learn things. Figure out the best way to drink from the firehose of knowledge.

Do things EXACTLY as you're taught. The A school training is to see if you can follow simple proceedures. All of Nuclear power in the navy is following proceedures. (With understanding)

If you can't be trusted to do simple math the way the Navy wants, how can you start up a reactor the way the Navy wants?

Smarter people than you created the program and wrote the power plant manuals. Trust them, with understanding.

Best books to check out are memory books. Learn to create mnemonics. Built memory palaces. Sing about things around you.

Learning how you learn will help you every step of the pipeline.

-Nuke ET in the fleet.
NeveroddoreveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveroddoreveN View Post
Best advice is to review HOW you learn things. Figure out the best way to drink from the firehose of knowledge.

Do things EXACTLY as you're taught. The A school training is to see if you can follow simple proceedures. All of Nuclear power in the navy is following proceedures. (With understanding)

If you can't be trusted to do simple math the way the Navy wants, how can you start up a reactor the way the Navy wants?

Smarter people than you created the program and wrote the power plant manuals. Trust them, with understanding.

Best books to check out are memory books. Learn to create mnemonics. Built memory palaces. Sing about things around you.

-Nuke ET in the fleet.
Interesting advice. I've never thought of it that way before.

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveroddoreveN View Post

-Nuke ET in the fleet.
Really appreciate the info ET, to what you are allowed to disclose, what are tests like in A/power school?