NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road
Default Wisdom Teeth | Swimming qualification

So I have two questions.

1. How bad is it to get all four wisdom teeth removed at boot camp? My recruiter said it's a good t\idea to wait and get the operation done there rather than when I'm in DEP. He said there's a chance of it hurting my enlistment process if I do it while in DEP. Plus, it's free lol

2. How strict is the 3rd Class Swim Qual when it comes to form? I can easily swim the distance, I just don't have very good form when doing it lol is that going to be an issue?

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
So I have two questions.

1. How bad is it to get all four wisdom teeth removed at boot camp? My recruiter said it's a good t\idea to wait and get the operation done there rather than when I'm in DEP. He said there's a chance of it hurting my enlistment process if I do it while in DEP. Plus, it's free lol

2. How strict is the 3rd Class Swim Qual when it comes to form? I can easily swim the distance, I just don't have very good form when doing it lol is that going to be an issue?
If you have no issues with your wisdom teeth and can wait to have them pulled at bootcamp, you should wait. If they are impacting or unbearably painful, there is a chance of infection. If you're ship date is a long way away, than you're safe to have them pulled if risk of infection is high. If your ship date is close, the anesthetics the dentists uses will show up in a drug screen which will result in separation.

From my sister who graduated 11/27, the swim quals isn't difficult. Form is not so important as the ability to just swim the distance in the time allotted. However, good form is the key to faster and more energy efficient swimming.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
If you have no issues with your wisdom teeth and can wait to have them pulled at bootcamp, you should wait. If they are impacting or unbearably painful, there is a chance of infection. If you're ship date is a long way away, than you're safe to have them pulled if risk of infection is high. If your ship date is close, the anesthetics the dentists uses will show up in a drug screen which will result in separation.

From my sister who graduated 11/27, the swim quals isn't difficult. Form is not so important as the ability to just swim the distance in the time allotted. However, good form is the key to faster and more energy efficient swimming.
Two of my wisdom teeth have broken through the gums so far and I haven't felt or soon an issues so far. We'll just have to see what happens when the other two start coming in lol but thanks I guess I'll just wait until boot camp. I'm just a little worried about it putting me behind.

Oh, ok, that's good. I've never really been a great swimmer when it comes to form. I didn't learn until I was like 10 and from there I never really learn much more lol but like I said earlier, I can swim the distance pretty easily. I don't ship out until August 26th, so I guess I have some time to practice

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."

Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

For the 3rd class swim, they aren't very strict about form, as long as you don't look like you're struggling.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

I think it was the first or second week that everyone in my div got their dental work done. Our compartment kind of turned into an infirmary- so many people had their wisdom teeth pulled and were SIQ, had drugs to take, couldn't eat solid food, etc. But honestly it didn't hold any of them back, since everyone had it done at the same time.

For those couple of days, everyone else (only about a dozen of us) just practiced inspections, folding, studied, and helped to take care of our SIQ shipmates. So I really wouldn't worry about it holding you back in training.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
I think it was the first or second week that everyone in my div got their dental work done. Our compartment kind of turned into an infirmary- so many people had their wisdom teeth pulled and were SIQ, had drugs to take, couldn't eat solid food, etc. But honestly it didn't hold any of them back, since everyone had it done at the same time.

For those couple of days, everyone else (only about a dozen of us) just practiced inspections, folding, studied, and helped to take care of our SIQ shipmates. So I really wouldn't worry about it holding you back in training.
Yep. It's built into the schedule.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Thanks everyone That's two less things to worry about

Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
PacificSunrise

PacificSunrise is on a distinguished road

I got mine done in boot camp. Got two blessed days of SIQ, one day LLD. Slept in all day except when you have to get dressed and go to chow, but all you can eat is jello anyway. Which kinda sucked.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise View Post
I got mine done in boot camp. Got two blessed days of SIQ, one day LLD. Slept in all day except when you have to get dressed and go to chow, but all you can eat is jello anyway. Which kinda sucked.
Oh man..I don't know if I could stomach eating Jello all day for two days.. lol

Old 12-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
Diesirae27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Oh man..I don't know if I could stomach eating Jello all day for two days.. lol

Please tell me there's something other than jello...I'd lose 5 lbs in 2 days w/o real food
Old 12-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
For the 3rd class swim, they aren't very strict about form, as long as you don't look like you're struggling.
How many times do they allow you to take the float test before you are pushed back. My boyfriend passed the swimming test and has faked the float test twice since I spoke to him last Saturday. Hopefully he passed it by now, but haven't spoken to him to find out. The second time he only had 60 secs left .
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
LT Guppy

I want to say it's something crazy like 16 attempts.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Diesirae27

Help me understand why anyone would want to be prone in water unless ordered to?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
LT Guppy

It's a survival technique. If you're in the water it serves two purposes -
1) it keeps water from splashing into your mouth and nose so you don't drown
2) it helps limit burning debris falling off your burning ship from hitting you in the face and causing more damage.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
How many times do they allow you to take the float test before you are pushed back. My boyfriend passed the swimming test and has faked the float test twice since I spoke to him last Saturday. Hopefully he passed it by now, but haven't spoken to him to find out. The second time he only had 60 secs left .
When I went thru (from Nov to March last year) it went like this: while you were in the division the RDCs would try to send you to try your swim again everyday in the early morning if there was nothing important going on.

They kept track of your tries, but no one got asmo'ed for having too many. If you didn't pass by the day of battlestations, you would be asmo'ed and your 16 last tries would start.

But I can't guarantee that's accurate anymore. The deal with the prone float is that people panic and give up. You have to convince them that they can do it.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
When I went thru (from Nov to March last year) it went like this: while you were in the division the RDCs would try to send you to try your swim again everyday in the early morning if there was nothing important going on.

They kept track of your tries, but no one got asmo'ed for having too many. If you didn't pass by the day of battlestations, you would be asmo'ed and your 16 last tries would start.

But I can't guarantee that's accurate anymore. The deal with the prone float is that people panic and give up. You have to convince them that they can do it.
Thank you. That's exactly the problem. I made him take swimming lessons before he left because he claimed he couldn't swim. Well that was a lie he can swim and actually swim very well. Our instructor mouth dropped opened. He was just scared to go to the deep in. By the end of the lessons he wasn't still comfortable enough to just float. From what he explain they are pushing him which he needs that push. Even with 60 secs left the guy was yelling not to give up that he can't drown in 60 secs. So we will. Yes it is important to know how to float.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Diesirae27

Quote:
It's a survival technique. If you're in the water it serves two purposes -
1) it keeps water from splashing into your mouth and nose so you don't drown
2) it helps limit burning debris falling off your burning ship from hitting you in the face and causing more damage.
#1 still doesn't make sense to me. Being prone in the open sea with our without debris raining down seems counter-intuitive. What do I know? I was 12 last time I was anywhere near an ocean. I'll take your word for it and will have to practice... I'm not buoyant even with lungs filled...
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
LT Guppy

If you're face up, water from the waves will splash in your face causing you to choke on the water. If you're face down, you face is protected and you can time when you lift your mouth and nose out of the water to breathe.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

So the 5minute prone float we have to pass is us face down in the water, like a "dead man's" float? I'm not a swimmer so I'm not sure of the terminology with the actual movements.

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress View Post
So the 5minute prone float we have to pass is us face down in the water, like a "dead man's" float? I'm not a swimmer so I'm not sure of the terminology with the actual movements.
Yes, prone means face down.

There is very little movement involved in a prone float, they do not want to see you paddling with your arms, kicking with your legs or otherwise treating water. Little movements to stay in position or to bring your head up to breathe are ok, but otherwise you are basically just letting your arms and legs dangle and letting the water support you. If you cross your legs at the ankles, it will help.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
HMYert

HMYert is on a distinguished road

what is the exact form that is needed to be used?
HMYert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMYert View Post
what is the exact form that is needed to be used?
For what?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
HMYert

HMYert is on a distinguished road

Prone float
HMYert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMYert View Post
Prone float
There is no "form."
As long as you:
-Keep your face in the water except when breathing
-Move as little as possible
-Don't look like you're struggling
You'll be fine.

The most comfortable way I've found to do it is to being kind of positioned like you were kneeling on your hands and knees with your arms dangling toward the bottom of the pool. Crossing your ankles will help keep you from kicking. You can make little movements with your hands (like 'c' or 's' stories) to maintain your position or bring your head up to breathe.
Other than that, just try to relax and slow your breathing/heart rate.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Diesirae27

Quote:
Other than that, just try to relax and slow your breathing/heart rate.
Mental exercise more than swimming/physical exercise. Gotcha. I'm good with this now.