NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
NewAdventures

NewAdventures is on a distinguished road
Default Females Hair

Are females allowed to have any bobby pins in their hair?

Had my hair cut to "navy regs" and ended up having to cut way more off than intended. Now it stays on my face!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

Yes, Bobby pins are allowed during RTC. I think 2 are allowed. There is a post somewhere on Navydep that displays hair regulations.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

In A-school/the fleet yes.

In bootcamp, bobby pins are a privilege. We earned them after 3 to 4 weeks, and there was always the threat that they would be taken away, although it never happened.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Grooming standards can be found here if you have further questions!

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...ppearance.aspx

/r
CTT1
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
BethanySmith

BethanySmith is on a distinguished road

I've heard rumors for the past year or so but I heard they are changing female bootcamp hair regs starting JAN012015. So girls no longer have to cut their hair for bootcamp. I'm not saying I believe this considering I heard this rumor a year ago but has anyone heard the same thing?!Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanySmith View Post
I've heard rumors for the past year or so but I heard they are changing female bootcamp hair regs starting JAN012015. So girls no longer have to cut their hair for bootcamp. I'm not saying I believe this considering I heard this rumor a year ago but has anyone heard the same thing?!Thanks!
Yup... and RTC is extending to 36 weeks to incorporate grenade launcher training.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 11-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

With a simulated deployment where they lock you into your ship for 15 weeks and randomly call fire drills and man over board drills requiring the whole ship to muster on the roof.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

But, on the plus side, the dessert cart comes by twice during meals now...

Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Quartermaster

Quartermaster is on a distinguished road

I have a heck of a time getting my hair into a bun. My hair is super thick and mid back length. I use gel, hairspray, everything!!! It just falls apart after a couple hours or so.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
With a simulated deployment where they lock you into your ship for 15 weeks and randomly call fire drills and man over board drills requiring the whole ship to muster on the roof.
I love this lol

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
I have a heck of a time getting my hair into a bun. My hair is super thick and mid back length. I use gel, hairspray, everything!!! It just falls apart after a couple hours or so.

Wont have to worry about a bun while in boot,,,,it will be way too short. You may cut your hair prior to going to boot to regulations, but if when you get to boot they MAY cut it again...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
BethanySmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Yup... and RTC is extending to 36 weeks to incorporate grenade launcher training.
Wait so you're saying yup that you don't have to cut your hair starting JAN 1st and my basic training with be 36 weeks now?! What?! I'm so lost sorry.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Beth Hassino and I are joking, boot camp is still eight weeks and you have to cut your hair.

Quarter Master, I'd just keep your hair short to avoid bun fallout for your whole career.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
BethanySmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
Beth Hassino and I are joking, boot camp is still eight weeks and you have to cut your hair.

Quarter Master, I'd just keep your hair short to avoid bun fallout for your whole career.
Really -__- lol I was kinda hoping you we're serious about the hair thing lol oh well.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Any time you hear that something's changing at boot camp, it's almost always bogus. Popular recurring rumors are combat training, longer pushes, relaxed grooming standards, stricter grooming standards, PT test changes, and so on.

Sadly, if you hear a rumor that recruits might start getting iPads or something similar in place of trainee guides, that one may actually be true soon. Read more...

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Any time you hear that something's changing at boot camp, it's almost always bogus. Popular recurring rumors are combat training, longer pushes, relaxed grooming standards, stricter grooming standards, PT test changes, and so on.

Sadly, if you hear a rumor that recruits might start getting iPads or something similar in place of trainee guides, that one may actually be true soon. Read more...
Wait....so we DON'T have to skip to my loo fifteen miles in under 30 minutes? Man....all that training for nothing.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:

Meanwhile, I'm flying with one flightsuit that I have to hand-stitch and hold together with a safety pin because supply has no money for gear...

Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
chemelle1

chemelle1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That article is from earlier this summer. Do we know if they actually tested the tablets yet?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

If it had started, I'm sure FSSparks would have mentioned them. I doubt they'll come around for another year or so at least, and I fervently hope the whole project gets shitcanned before that.

It's entirely possible that I'm just a spoiled carrier guy who has never really had trouble finding a computer to use, but I find this whole concept ridiculous. At best we'll just be trading "not enough computers" for "not enough bandwidth" because everyone will be on all the time, choking the wifi to intolerable sluggishness.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

I know a female from my work who went to bootcamp over the summer. She recently came back to visit us at work and she told me that the hair regulations were changing as of January. She and I aren't the best of friends, so I'm assuming she is lying to me. I'm pretty sure she is the type of female who would want me to NOT cut my hair just so I could get more attention when I get there. Until I hear different from a reputable source, I'm still planning on cutting it.

Last edited by NavyGirl2015; 11-21-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about

I'm so glad I have short hair

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
I know a female from my work who went to bootcampI over the summer. She recently came back to visit us at work and she told me that the hair regulations were changing as of January. She and I aren't the best of friends, so I'm assuming she is lying to me. I'm pretty sure se is the type of female who would want me to NOT cut my hair just so I could get more attention when I get there. Until I hear different from a reputable source, I'm still planning on cutting it.
She's probably just fallen for the same type of rumors we see around here. Or who knows, maybe it's true this time. I'd just keep an open mind. I don't remember many females coming in with long hair, but it isn't going to attract that much attention. No one cares that much.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
I know a female from my work who went to bootcamp over the summer. She recently came back to visit us at work and she told me that the hair regulations were changing as of January. She and I aren't the best of friends, so I'm assuming she is lying to me. I'm pretty sure she is the type of female who would want me to NOT cut my hair just so I could get more attention when I get there. Until I hear different from a reputable source, I'm still planning on cutting it.
Notice the date there... that's actually a good indicator the rumor is false. January 1st is when most laws and policies in the civilian world take affect because that's when the new calender year begins. In the military, we go off of Fiscal Years, which begin on October 1st. It's not always the way things work... but 98% of the time, any new uniform or training policy will be released in some form of instruction, and the change will take affect with the first training group of divisions to go through RTC in the next fiscal year.

For those of you coming in, one of the best things you can do as a junior Sailor is to help stop the spread of rumor/gouge/BS... if you hear a rumor about a policy change, or new uniform regulation, or are told something is or is not authorized... look it up. Everything has some sort of instruction, announcement, memo, etc. For those of you in DEP... if you hear about something like a change in female hair regulations, do a Google search for some kind of official Navy instruction outlining such... not Yahoo Answers or word-of-mouth from other DEPpers or Sailors.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
Quartermaster

Quartermaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Wont have to worry about a bun while in boot,,,,it will be way too short. You may cut your hair prior to going to boot to regulations, but if when you get to boot they MAY cut it again...
Okay, thanks. I knew they were going to cut it. I heard they will cut it again if it grows too long before graduation. Is that true?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

There were like four opportunities for haircuts all told, but they didn't take much off and they only cut it if it was getting too long. The last one was right before graduation.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemelle1 View Post
That article is from earlier this summer. Do we know if they actually tested the tablets yet?
Yes this will be starting after the holiday divisions, they were already lining this up, they also son't issue loofahs anymore(they switched to wash clothes) and they stopped wearing boots.. well half the time.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 11-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
Atom_breaker

But on topic; they still cut hair, and you better make sure if you wear ANY hair clips that they are your hair color. i witnessed a female getting a interesting ass chewing over that..

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #28
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
Yes this will be starting after the holiday divisions, they were already lining this up, they also son't issue loofahs anymore(they switched to wash clothes) and they stopped wearing boots.. well half the time.
That makes so much more sense. The loofahs were so annoying. I got rid of mine after a few weeks.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #29
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
That makes so much more sense. The loofahs were so annoying. I got rid of mine after a few weeks.
But it's one more thing during inspections..

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #30
SNTOWNSBRADLEY

SNTOWNSBRADLEY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanySmith View Post
Really -__- lol I was kinda hoping you we're serious about the hair thing lol oh well.
I hope you didn't cut your hair yet because beginning January 2015, Naval Service Training Command (NSTC) will initiate a pilot program to cease mandatory female haircuts at Recruit Training Command (RTC) and Officer Training Command (OTC). The pilot was established after receiving feedback that junior Sailors and officers are not taught proper grooming standards during their initial training. Grooming standards education will be incorporated into the curriculum, but will not impact other training. This will allow women to style longer hair in the same manner that they would wear it daily in the Fleet while providing the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the standards before transferring to the Fleet. If desired, women will still have the opportunity to cut their hair upon arrival and during training at RTC and OTC.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #31
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Closing due to outdated information. There is a more current thread about female hair.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread