NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough
Default Shaving during RTC

I typically take a long time to shave, my hair grows in odd directions. It's my understanding that shaving has to be done quick and look sharp. I don't want to be the last to finish, or have an RTC on my ass.

What exactly are the RTCs standards for a clean shave?

What is the time limit to shave?

Are there any tips a graduated sailor might add to help?
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Wake up early. You should do this anyway, even if you're doing a quick shave, because 88 dudes crowding about a dozen sinks and mirrors is no fun.

Shaving standards are more or less strict depending on the RDC or inspector. To be safe, your RDC will probably order everyone to freshen up their shave immediately before a major inspection. But if it's not good enough for the inspector, there's nothing to be done for it. I took a shave hit in the dress uniform inspection despite shaving like 3 times, along with 10 or so other guys.

With that in mind, don't be afraid to get an RDC up your ass. It happens, and it's actually a great learning experience.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Have the person on watch wake you up a little early if you need extra time. Everyone needs to be shaved, dressed, compartment clean, and on the toe line at revile every morning. There will be times where you have to shave during the day and it needs to be quick, just make it happen. If your shave isn't sat they will make you go fix it.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Jyoungs42433

Jyoungs42433 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Have the person on watch wake you up a little early if you need extra time. Everyone needs to be shaved, dressed, compartment clean, and on the toe line at revile every morning. There will be times where you have to shave during the day and it needs to be quick, just make it happen. If your shave isn't sat they will make you go fix it.
So you're allowed to wake up a little early and get your shower etc done early? or is it one of those stealth missions where your own your own if you get caught
Jyoungs42433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoungs42433 View Post
So you're allowed to wake up a little early and get your shower etc done early? or is it one of those stealth missions where your own your own if you get caught
I haven't been to RTC yet, so this is not a definitive answer, but I intend to treat everything at RTC as one of those stealth missions. :P

When I get caught, I (intend to) get caught doing (only) what I'm supposed to be doing, and hopefully the RDC response will be "carry on."

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoungs42433 View Post
You're only going to shower once a day, and it's never in the morning... but waking up an hour before reveille to shave, go to the bathroom, and get yourself ready won't be an issue. Nobody ever came into the compartment that close to rev, and your RDC's expect everyone up and ready when they walk in.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote