NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
TXNavyMother

TXNavyMother is on a distinguished road
Default My Son Left Today

My son is at the airport right now in Houston, TX waiting for his flight to Chicago. I am so excited for his journey, but I am also so very scared. I worry about his mental state because he's such a caring and loving person. He wants to be the best and I know he will do his best. He's a Surface Nuke Recruit and I can't wait to see him soar.
TXNavyMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
SarahDier

SarahDier is on a distinguished road

Mine left on the 13th from Shreveport. LOL, I found it ironic that he left from Shreveport and had a layover in Dallas. We are right in between both cities.
SarahDier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNavyMother View Post
My son is at the airport right now in Houston, TX waiting for his flight to Chicago. I am so excited for his journey, but I am also so very scared. I worry about his mental state because he's such a caring and loving person. He wants to be the best and I know he will do his best. He's a Surface Nuke Recruit and I can't wait to see him soar.
Bootcamp is a mind game. The RDCs want to see if they can get into your head. I went through in 2016 through Great Lakes now I am going through Newport as an Officer (leaving this weekend). He will probably write you letters and in a couple weeks you will probably get your first phone call (takes a couple weeks before they let Sailors call families). Just tell him to ignore the RDCs and their criticism because whatever happens there stays here NO MATTER what they do/say. Best advice you can give him from us here is stand tall, do exactly as your told and do your best to stay low on the RDC radars and his time there will fly by.

Hopefully the recruiter was honest, Nuke school is no joke, its one of the most challenging (probably the hardest actually) A-schools in the military (all branches). It's long but will set himself up for success in the long run if he doesn't stay in the Navy long. A chief I know at work, his younger brother was a nuke and got out and now works for Exxon in Texas making over $200,000 as a 24 year old. He basically realized his education (courtesy of the Navy) was more valuable on the outside. So, your son is obviously smart academically to score strong ASVAB scores to get qualified as a Nuke, he will be fine. I am happy for him. Nuke is a rough job (long days, working in challenging parts of a ship) but the light at the end of the tunnel if he makes it through will be a rewarding one.
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Congratulations for your son. I know how you feel, being a mom, but for me it was many years ago...my son went in as a nuke..he is out now and in his 30's, but went in right out of high school. With just the training as a nuke and no college degree he, in the civilian world, makes 6 figures easy as a project supervisor for GE. He admits that nuke school was long and very hard, but worth it in the end....

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
TXNavyMother

TXNavyMother is on a distinguished road

Yes he is very smart and can do the work if he puts his mind to it. 96 on is ASVAB and had not been in school for 2 years and did nothing but work here at the shop with me and play video games. Once school starts I know that he will make sure that he is working on his school work. My brother who is a Commander (SWO Officer) is making more as a Civilian working for the Navy then as an Active Duty Officer. He's reserve and has his own unit. I told him they are there to break you down and build you up as a team, but his goal was squad leader and to make sure his team passes the first time. He is that kind of person, just love that he is compassionate and kind. Thank you!!!
TXNavyMother is offline   Reply With Quote