NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Zariahmichelle

Zariahmichelle is on a distinguished road
Default Hair

Ok, so I am african-american and i need to protect my hair while I'm in bootcamp. Can i have single braids (extensions) in bootcamp?
Zariahmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

Here is the publication regarding hair:

a. Men. Keep hair neat, clean and well groomed. Hair above the ears and around the neck shall be tapered from the lower natural hairline upwards at least 3/4 inch and outward not greater than 3/4 inch to blend with hair*style. Hair on the back of the neck must not touch the collar. Hair shall be no longer than four inches and may not touch the ears, collar, extend below eyebrows when headgear is removed, show under front edge of headgear, or interfere with properly wearing military headgear. The bulk of the hair shall not exceed approximately two inches. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp. Hair coloring must look natural and complement the individual. Faddish styles and outrageous multicolored hair are not authorized. The unique quality and texture of curled, waved, and straight hair are recognized, and in some cases the 3/4 inch taper at the back of the neck may be difficult to attain. In those cases hair must present a graduated appearance and may combine the taper with a line at the back of the neck. One (cut, clipped or shaved) natural, narrow, fore and aft part is authorized. Varying hairstyles, including afro, are permitted if these styles meet the criteria of maximum length and bulk, tapered neck and sides, and do not interfere with properly wearing military headgear. Plaited or braided hair shall not be worn while in uniform or in a duty status. Keep sideburns neatly trimmed and tailored in the same manner as the haircut. Sideburns shall not extend below a point level with the middle of the ear, shall be of even width (not flared) and shall end with a clean shaven horizontal line. <Figure 2‑2‑1> refers. "Muttonchops", "ship's captain", or similar grooming modes are not authorized.

Though these are the standards, Recruit Training Command may do what they please with your hair. I've heard from newer sailors that you will have the option to do what you want with your hair throughout bootcamp as long as it conforms to regulation. Previously, RTC would buzz your head for your first cut.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
ohliveeeah

ohliveeeah is on a distinguished road

I am too and i leave in August. My hair is natural and i was worried about how i would wear my hair. A lot of girls are wearing cornrows and some got regulation length sew ins, but one girl said it was very itchy. I think i'm going to stick to the 2 cornrows on the sides of my head and pray i find someone who can do cornrows for me while i'm there. Good luck to you.
ohliveeeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

The thing with cornrows you have to pay attention to is how wide they are and how far apart they are.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote