NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > YN = YEOMAN

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
jacollins86

jacollins86 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Advancement Opportunities?

Hi, I'm still in the early processes of signing up for the navy and I'm researching careers to make sure I make the right decision. Can anyone tell me what kind of advancement opportunities are available for YN's in and out of the navy? I haven't quite decided if it's going to be a long term career for me so I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time on things that won't help me in the future whatever my decision may be. Is there a normal shore to sea ratio or is it just dependent on lots of different factors? What are the most popular duty stations for YN's? Thanks in advance for all of your time and answers.
jacollins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

It's pretty simple. Every command runs on admin. So every command has YNs. They go everywhere.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

YN's also have an opportunity to become Flag Writers for admirals and such, as well as potentially going over to Legalman which is basically a paralegal.

Though I had a recruiter point out to me that being a flag writer is good to do a couple of times but try to avoid getting stuck there too long. It looks really good on the billet, but after a while all of your performance reviews are best YN out of 1.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
jacollins86

jacollins86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PringleMan View Post
YN's also have an opportunity to become Flag Writers for admirals and such, as well as potentially going over to Legalman which is basically a paralegal.

Though I had a recruiter point out to me that being a flag writer is good to do a couple of times but try to avoid getting stuck there too long. It looks really good on the billet, but after a while all of your performance reviews are best YN out of 1.
What are the chances of switching over to Legalman usually? I just don't want to join a dead end job, so to speak. I want to be able to grow and do different things.
jacollins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great resource: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/default.aspx

This link takes you to the community overview. It documents the current promotion rates for the various administration ratings, as well as career paths.

The bottom line is that the chances to switch to LN are pretty much going to depend on A) Your competence and B) The Needs of the Navy.

Right now the LN rating is at 90% of their FY-16 enlisted personnel. What that means is that if you were qualified and had good reviews, they would probably take you. The hold up there is that YN is currently at 97% manned for FY-16, so they are not really wanting people to go, especially E1-E3 (currently 75% manned)

YN is not a dead end job by any means. It might not be as glorious as say, AO or EOD, but from the administrative aspect each armed service is basically a government Bureau/Department. The navy could not function very well without the Yeoman and Support Corp Officers to take care of all that red tape.

In addition to the LN rate for advancement, you also have the Navy Counselor (NC) and Mass Communications (MC) ratings as part of that same general community.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacollins86 View Post
What are the chances of switching over to Legalman usually? I just don't want to join a dead end job, so to speak. I want to be able to grow and do different things.
I just had a good friend of mine move over to LN, so it's totally doable if you're willing to work for it.

As far as YNs go, they get to go do all kinds of things. Like aviation? Go to a squadron. Spec War? Got that too. (you get my point) YNs are one of those rates that can literally go anywhere, so there's definitely room to grow and do different things. Plus you get to know everyone at the command; the networking and hook up opportunities are endless for them haha (on the ship, that's a valuable thing!)

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote