NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back brace at basic

What is the Navy policy on things like back braces at basic?

I had a sprain in high school, and I am concerned that if I somehow managed to sprain my back again due to a poorly executed lift that they would somehow think it was some sort of chronic issue.

Last edited by YN2(AW)Williams; 10-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

It seems doubtful. Be completely, totally upfront about this going through the recruiting process and let the Navy decide. You might get medical DQ or have to get waivers, but better that than to get in and have or be in trouble.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I would be shocked if you were aloud to wear one, I'm very surprised you were even able to enlist... That is assuming you told them about it.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

I have not enlisted yet, but the back injury was not severe, just a sprain. I fixed it with PT years ago. I even have official documentation showing that it was a normal sprain.

I explained it to my recruiter and he said as long as there was no surgery or major injury (like an exploded disk) then it should not matter. He said to be sure to include it in the paperwork, but since it is from about 8 years ago with no further problems it should not be an issue.

Last edited by YN2(AW)Williams; 10-23-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

As someone who has had a major back injury in the navy, I'd highly advise you to seriously consider the possibilities. Count on your back getting worse not better in the navy.
Ship life can be very hard on the body, especially the back. You'll frequently be going up and down ladders, lifting heavy objects, and walking on uneven/moving surfaces.

In my personal opinion, you need to be able to work out, stand for long periods, and just get through the day without wearing a brace.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Kgard12

Kgard12 will become famous soon enough

My mom is a PT and when I told her about this she said she wouldn't say that requiring a back brace is "no further problems" and that if you are feeling pain still from it you should consult your doctor and possibly consider more PT as it's not healed fully/correctly.
Kgard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Devereux
**Active Duty**

Devereux will become famous soon enough

There is absolutely no way you'll keep that. You're gonna strip right in front of them the first night and they're gonna see that big bulky thing. And there would be no way to store it properly in your rack (it'll take up majority of your personal draw). Sorry, but there's no way you can bring it there.
Devereux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

I suppose I was still not being clear on this.

First by back brace I mean an under-clothes brace like what you might put on your knee.

Second, sorry Kgard I was definitely not clear. I dont "require" a back brace.

This was a sprain that happened 8 years ago. I treated it with PT then and it has been more or less fine.

As it stands, I currently work as a bartender, so I am on my feet for 6-7 hours without break, standing on uneven rubber mats and moving around a few dozen cases of beer and wine every day. I get through this without even a little soreness or pain probably 95% of the time. It is just every now and then if I am slouching for too long, I start to develop a throbbing soreness in my lower back. Usually just taking a moment to stretch and move around, bend around, and maybe in the worst scenarios take a seat for a minute is more than enough to get things back on track.

If my PT from high school is any indication, getting back to a regular fitness routine that strengthens my back muscles will probably make the problem go away. I may or may not have slowly slacked on that over the last 8 years >_>

Last edited by YN2(AW)Williams; 10-23-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

The point is, you will not be allowed to have any sort of back brace at boot and any medical history will come up while in DEP...so if you saw a doctor and that includes a PT, it will have to be in your records...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Devereux
**Active Duty**

Devereux will become famous soon enough

I'm just worried about your back during boot. We would stand at one knee for like an hour at a time on the hard floor for "study sessions" cuz we talked... and there's plenty of IT exercises that involve you being on your back.
Devereux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

If you can hack being a bartender at that level, you'll probably suffer no worse than the rest of us. You gave us the impression the back brace was necessary for you somehow, and I can't imagine they'll let you keep it at boot. But you'll survive that quickly enough, and when you graduate, you can have it back.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
If you can hack being a bartender at that level, you'll probably suffer no worse than the rest of us. You gave us the impression the back brace was necessary for you somehow, and I can't imagine they'll let you keep it at boot. But you'll survive that quickly enough, and when you graduate, you can have it back.
Sorry that it came across the wrong way haha.

I have never been below decks on a ship, but I have trouble imagining a situation where I have to lift a 30 lb or heavier object while hunched over due to a ceiling height of about 4 feet and being a 5' 10" individual. At least not one where I could not also slide it around.

Cardboard boxes have a tendency to shred when you do that on uneven ground or on rough cement.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you've made me think of it, I can't remember the last time I moved a cardboard box. No, you're more likely to move large awkward bits of metal. Fire extinguishers. Cabinets. Desks. Ram fans. Couches. You will probably have to go up and down ladders with them, through passageways barely wide enough for you or the item (not both), and unless it's something you're throwing away, you may well have to contort yourself into a very odd shape to wedge the thing wherever it's ultimately going.

You know your back better than we do, but I recommend you listen to the cautious impulse that led you to ask your question in the first place.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote