NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
TexanGUY

TexanGUY is on a distinguished road
Default IT ADP

So I saw there's 3 different areas to go into for the IT rating, if i already have a networking specific background from school will they put me in ADP? Do you get to pick which field to go into? When does this decision happen, after A-school graduation?

Does ADP require Top Secret clearance, and would I still be stationed to a ship vs shore?

Also i keep reading different IT A-school locations, i thought it was in Pensacola, FL Corry Station but i keep seeing some people say Great Lakes, which is it?

Thanks
TexanGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanGUY View Post
So I saw there's 3 different areas to go into for the IT rating, if i already have a networking specific background from school will they put me in ADP? Do you get to pick which field to go into? When does this decision happen, after A-school graduation?

Does ADP require Top Secret clearance, and would I still be stationed to a ship vs shore?

Also i keep reading different IT A-school locations, i thought it was in Pensacola, FL Corry Station but i keep seeing some people say Great Lakes, which is it?

Thanks
No just because you have experience wont benefit you. They will place you wherever. It's the needs of the Navy. My understanding you should know sometime before your A School finishes where you might end up. A School is in Pensacola, FL
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
TexanGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
No just because you have experience wont benefit you. They will place you wherever. It's the needs of the Navy. My understanding you should know sometime before your A School finishes where you might end up. A School is in Pensacola, FL
Can I make a case that I want ADP, in the end your right its the needs of the navy but if grad. top of my class at A-school will they take it into consideration?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can I make a case that I want ADP, in the end your right its the needs of the navy but if grad. top of my class at A-school will they take it into consideration?
It's always going to be needs of the Navy really. If they've got a surplus of spots they may open it up to choices based on class rank, but that's the exception not the rule (aka they don't have to do that). It doesn't ever hurt though to make your wishes known. Who knows, maybe a spot pops up that they need a body for and if they know you're interested then maybe you get lucky. Nobody is going to advocate for your career better than you can!

As an IT you'll be dealing in networking or server admin in some form or fashion regardless. If you want to go deeper, then stick around and do a 2nd tour in a billet that's doing more what you want. You might not get every single thing you want out of your first tour, but it goes by in a flash. Once you're up for orders for your next duty station, a whooooole lot more opportunities are available to you.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
TexanGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
It's always going to be needs of the Navy really. If they've got a surplus of spots they may open it up to choices based on class rank, but that's the exception not the rule (aka they don't have to do that). It doesn't ever hurt though to make your wishes known. Who knows, maybe a spot pops up that they need a body for and if they know you're interested then maybe you get lucky. Nobody is going to advocate for your career better than you can!

As an IT you'll be dealing in networking or server admin in some form or fashion regardless. If you want to go deeper, then stick around and do a 2nd tour in a billet that's doing more what you want. You might not get every single thing you want out of your first tour, but it goes by in a flash. Once you're up for orders for your next duty station, a whooooole lot more opportunities are available to you.

/r
CTT1
Is it true that after A-school you get promoted to E-4, and if so does that require you to add an additional year to your initial contract? I only want do a 4 year contract and then hopefully be able to get a good job upon returning to civilian life in the IT field.

Thanks again for all the input
Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it true that after A-school you get promoted to E-4, and if so does that require you to add an additional year to your initial contract? I only want do a 4 year contract and then hopefully be able to get a good job upon returning to civilian life in the IT field.

Thanks again for all the input
The auto advancement to IT3 would come with an ATF contract, which has an additional year of commitment.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
Jp123

Jp123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks
I am an IT that went through the ADP school in Corry, I've been at my first command for 7 months and have worked in 2 different areas and both have been radio. They literally do not care what specialization the navy gave you, they will just see you as an IT and a body. Also all as an IT you WILL get a top secret security clearance.
Jp123 is offline   Reply With Quote