NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
CodyAustin

CodyAustin is on a distinguished road
Default Am I Prepared Physically?

I can do about 85 sit ups in 2 minutes, I maxed 43 push ups today though I think I can push to about 50 (not bad considering I only used to be able to do 15 max), and haven't tested myself on my run but last I did was about 7 months ago and got 11:08 (Educated guess, I can probably get 10:30 at this point). Should I be set for the PRT?
CodyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Well, depends on your age. Your situps and run sound pretty good, but I think your pushups would be borderline if you were an alpha male (17-19).
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Google Navy PRT Standards or find a PRT Calculator online.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
Google Navy PRT Standards or find a PRT Calculator online.
Might also want to check out youtube vids on proper technique.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
Might also want to check out youtube vids on proper technique.
I second this.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

You'll pass easily. Unless you work out regularly already, the boot camp lifestyle should be enough to improve you. I went from a bare pass on push-ups to nearly 60, added at least 30 sit-ups, and cut nearly 2 minutes off my run. The PT may or may not be challenging to you, but if it isn't, just find a way to make it so.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
CodyAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Well, depends on your age. Your situps and run sound pretty good, but I think your pushups would be borderline if you were an alpha male (17-19).
Yeah, push ups are my weak point (it's tougher being 196 pounds and 6'4 lol) but I've been doing at LEAST 100 everyday using different variations, low sets, little rest, and high reps per set with proper form.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
matzo

matzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyAustin View Post
Yeah, push ups are my weak point (it's tougher being 196 pounds and 6'4 lol) but I've been doing at LEAST 100 everyday using different variations, low sets, little rest, and high reps per set with proper form.
Is that 43 in 2 minutes? or is that 43 reps
matzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
CodyAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzo View Post
Is that 43 in 2 minutes? or is that 43 reps
That was 43 in less than 1 minute lol Just did as many as fast I could with strict form (though I still could have held the push up position, rested, then pushed my way to 50+ if I'd done 2 minutes)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Devin

Devin is on a distinguished road

I tried to see if I could do it and i didn't go for a full 2 Minutes but I could do 37 In i believe 1 min or just under.

The 1 1/2 Mile I believe I have down I run cross country so i think I'm good there.

Sit-Ups i think I have down as-well. The problem with Sit-Ups that bugs me is the fact on a Gym Floor such as a High School Gym, which is also the Basketball Court its harder to do them because of the tailbone.

But i think you have some time like me as well to continue to Progress.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I tried to see if I could do it and i didn't go for a full 2 Minutes but I could do 37 In i believe 1 min or just under.

The 1 1/2 Mile I believe I have down I run cross country so i think I'm good there.

Sit-Ups i think I have down as-well. The problem with Sit-Ups that bugs me is the fact on a Gym Floor such as a High School Gym, which is also the Basketball Court its harder to do them because of the tailbone.

But i think you have some time like me as well to continue to Progress.
I don't know about RTC, but at OCS we were allowed to use foam mats for the sit ups.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
I don't know about RTC, but at OCS we were allowed to use foam mats for the sit ups.
I spoke with some sailors that graduated from A School not that long ago. They said foam mats are provided for the sit ups.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
I spoke with some sailors that graduated from A School not that long ago. They said foam mats are provided for the sit ups.
Thank You! Not to sound like a wimp but it just is kinda annoying if there isn't one. Well at least I don't have to worry about that I think for me its the Push-Ups.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Thank You! Not to sound like a wimp but it just is kinda annoying if there isn't one. Well at least I don't have to worry about that I think for me its the Push-Ups.
Devin that is my ship in your pic.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

To be clear - while you will have mats for your PFAs - your RDCs will also make you practice in the compartment during regular PT, and you don't get a mat then.

We don't use them at my A school either, but that's because everything's done outside on the field.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Devin that is my ship in your pic.
Really! Thats SUper Cool! I got this picture from the US Navy Facebook Page. Its my favorite picture. Mostly Because DDG's are My favorite ships. Hopefully I get one out of "A" School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
To be clear - while you will have mats for your PFAs - your RDCs will also make you practice in the compartment during regular PT, and you don't get a mat then.

We don't use them at my A school either, but that's because everything's done outside on the field.
Practice is fine on the floor. Just weanted to be able to do as many as possible during the PT Test.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know. It hurts my tailbone if I don't use a mat.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Devin

Tell me about it... Lol

How many PT Tests are there in Basic?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Minimum is 3, but only the final one counts.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
elite636

elite636 is on a distinguished road

How to they keep track of your pushups, situps and run? I'm assuming they pair people up and rely on their honesty in reporting how many you did because of the fact that there are just too many recruits to do each person one by one. Do they do the buddy system on the last test too?
elite636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yes. You are always counting for your partner (even in the real navy when you do your PT test twice a year). There will be RDCs walking up and down the rows to make sure you are doing the correct form.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #22
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite636 View Post
How to they keep track of your pushups, situps and run? I'm assuming they pair people up and rely on their honesty in reporting how many you did because of the fact that there are just too many recruits to do each person one by one. Do they do the buddy system on the last test too?
Push-ups and sit-ups are counted by a partner and observed by CFLs and RDCs for accuracy and form (Kinda... we're talking 5 observers for 80-90 recruits). The run is recorded electronically using an ankle monitor and a series of sensors you pass on each lap.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
military bratt

military bratt is on a distinguished road

I know you pt everyday does that mean you run every day also? That will help considerably with my running especially
if i am running with other people. But on the side of that do you have any free time to work out extra? Like say because I wanna improve my run could I run 2 a day?
military bratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by military bratt View Post
I know you pt everyday does that mean you run every day also? That will help considerably with my running especially
if i am running with other people. But on the side of that do you have any free time to work out extra? Like say because I wanna improve my run could I run 2 a day?
You'll only run in Freedom Hall, and you'll only actually go there maybe 3 times a week... the other times will be in-house PT, which is mostly arm-circles and push-ups/sit-ups. You're not allowed to PT on your own... some recruits did anyway after taps... but I personally preferred to get adequate rest.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navy, physical, test