NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Strempek

Strempek is on a distinguished road
Default Running and Swimming.

Do you ever really run further than the 1.5 miles or swim more than the required distance? Also, is the swimming and running out doors in the winter?

And just a tag along question, is it suggested against to go during allergy season if pollen is a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Strempek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I am not sure if there are going to be any runs further then the 1.5 miles for the regular Navy.

I do know that the track for running and the pool are both located indoors at RTC.

As far as allergies go, you dont really have a choice about when you are going to go, the Navy is not going to cater to anyone or there allergy needs.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
AnthonyG

AnthonyG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strempek View Post
Do you ever really run further than the 1.5 miles or swim more than the required distance? Also, is the swimming and running out doors in the winter?

And just a tag along question, is it suggested against to go during allergy season if pollen is a problem?

Thanks in advance.
From a fitness perspective, you probably should run further while not at Boot in order to optimize your training. If you train for 1.5 only, you're going to have trouble when 1.5 is added to all the mental and physical stressers of boot camp.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Not sure about RTC, but at OCS runs are usually 3 miles, with the occasional 5 mile run.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The most we ran was for time... 25min sustained. I did about 2.9mi, but the sloths did closer to 2. You will never run outdoors... regardless of season... it's always in Freedom Hall.

The swim is only the 100yds for Class III... it's recommended against trying for Class II at RTC.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
The most we ran was for time... 25min sustained. I did about 2.9mi, but the sloths did closer to 2. You will never run outdoors... regardless of season... it's always in Freedom Hall.

The swim is only the 100yds for Class III... it's recommended against trying for Class II at RTC.
Edit: Never mind
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Strempek

So it is inside. Thats good news. Thanks for answering so quickly.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

Swim 3 qual is only 50 meters, and you will Definitly run more than that. Especially if you're tall, you run nonstop ( roadgaurd). For our 5 min sustained, we ran for 45 minutes. It's all what your rdcs want. If you have an appointment or meeting like at golden 13, you will have to double time there from your ship, so 2 mi run in full gear. Winter gear sucks! ****kng scarf. Threw it out the day of graduation. But yeah, the most I ran in one go at rtc was like 5 miles. We did that at least once a week.

And idk why that guy said the swim was 100 m. It's one length down an Olympic pool. More people fail the prone float than the swim. And unless you fail, you will only swim once ever at rtc.

My experiences are based on the past 2 months of my life, chilling across the street now! Oh, and allergeys, if ya want you can go to medical for Claritin or whatever, but I never went to medical. Not worth risking a siq or LLD chit. Miss mandatory events for stupid shit, no thanks.
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdAECF View Post
And idk why that guy said the swim was 100 m. It's one length down an Olympic pool. More people fail the prone float than the swim. And unless you fail, you will only swim once ever at rtc.
My bad... I did the II, so I was thinking 100m. Yeah, III is just the 1 length... make sure you can swim with good form or you'll probably get yanked out. A few of the shipmates in my division were pulled because it looked like they were struggling... if the instructor pokes you with the pole, you're out.

Quote:
My experiences are based on the past 2 months of my life, chilling across the street now! Oh, and allergeys, if ya want you can go to medical for Claritin or whatever, but I never went to medical. Not worth risking a siq or LLD chit. Miss mandatory events for stupid shit, no thanks.
Medical actually isn't bad at all, as long as you're not what we called "malingering"... show up with a sore throat or cough expecting to get an LLD/SIQ chit, and you're gonna be treated like crap by the corpsmen, docs, and your RDCs. Show up and tell them you want to remain FFD (Fit for Full Duty), and you're treated well and processed in and out so you can get back to training. Check with your yeomans and look at the plan of the day... do what you can to tough it out until you've got something going on that you can miss.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Strempek

Im not worried about the swim at all. Im like Michael Phelps in the water, just more worried about the running. I can run my mile and a half now with incredible ease on a treadmill and decently well in warmer weather. Just worried about the cold and longer distance. Im running now to try and prepare myself as much as possible though.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
SDtech

SDtech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Swim 3 qual is only 50 meters, and you will Definitly run more than that. Especially if you're tall, you run nonstop ( roadgaurd). For our 5 min sustained, we ran for 45 minutes. It's all what your rdcs want. If you have an appointment or meeting like at golden 13, you will have to double time there from your ship, so 2 mi run in full gear. Winter gear sucks! ****kng scarf. Threw it out the day of graduation. But yeah, the most I ran in one go at rtc was like 5 miles. We did that at least once a week.

How long is the prone float for class III?
SDtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
jdAECF

jdAECF is on a distinguished road

5 minutes, don't abuse your breathing. Just remain calm, and don't struggle. Deep breaths, easy day.
jdAECF is offline   Reply With Quote