NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough
Default Ask me anything about NNPTC

Hey guys! It's been so long since I have posted, well for good reason, this school takes up *ALOT* of time. Well I am halfway now and have some extra time on my hands.. ask me everything you want to know!

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
shortstuff

shortstuff is on a distinguished road

How many different subjects are they teaching at once? Is everything being taught simultaneously or do they finish one thing and start something new?

Ship Date: 20160112
Nuke Field

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
-Winston Churchill
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
cobalt
**Active Duty**

cobalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
How many different subjects are they teaching at once? Is everything being taught simultaneously or do they finish one thing and start something new?
A school - 1 subject at a time
P school - 3 at a time
Prototype - heres a bunch of books and a lecture or two a week good luck.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Cobalt said it perfectly. As a wire (EM or ET) you will have five total classes in A school. For a short period at the beginning you will have two classes simultaneously but one is just a math review course. If you are a Mechanic (MM) there are less classes due to A school being shorter. I want to say it is three total, but I may be incorrect, I am an EM so I know more specifics about our side of the schoolhouse.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 08-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Anything *unclassified* about NNPTC haha

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Anything *unclassified* about NNPTC haha

/r
CTT1
Delicate walk that is.. I wanted to describe the order the classes are presented however..

On the other hand.. I thought about posting some pictures from around the area.. not sure how that might go over.. Our "site" Was built in an old swamp plantation, and we have really scenic views, and interesting animals. I'll make an album soon. On that note Griffin.. Would pictures of trails leading to berthing be taboo?

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Atom_breaker; 08-06-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
Delicate walk that is.. I wanted to describe the order the classes are presented however..

On the other hand.. I thought about posting some pictures from around the area.. not sure how that might go over.. Our "site" Was built in an old swamp plantation, and we have really scenic views, and interesting animals. I'll make an album soon. On that note Griffin.. Would pictures of trails leading to berthing be taboo?
I would ask your security folks beforehand. Can't tell you how many cameras I had to confiscate while at Corry for similar stuff. But to stay on the safe side I would avoid taking any pictures of facilities on base and posting them unless it's something like the NEX or other generally publicly accessible space.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
shortstuff

What is the PT like while you are in NNPTC?
What kind of personal items (like electronics etc) do the allow you to bring?

Nuke Field

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
-Winston Churchill
Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Atom_breaker

Quote:
What is the PT like while you are in NNPTC?
What kind of personal items (like electronics etc) do the allow you to bring?
PT:
Officially we PT everyday.. with that being said academics take priority, so on test days we do not PT.
Being Summer and black flag conditions (VERY hot) everyday, we PT in the mornings. 0530 Your class will decide the type of PT. Our class went to command PT 3 times a week. This was sort of like BASES at bootcamp, you'll see what that means soon! But it's basically about a dozen stations and you do a different exercise at each one.. sprints, CORE, arms.. etc. the other days we had "fun" PT, we would play frisbee or tennis or dodge ball. The site here has about a dozen tennis courts, basketball courts, and volleyball courts spread throughout and ALOT of grass fields. This is where the PT is conducted. Every Wednesday A-school runs a 5K with PRT push-ups and sit ups prior to the run. Power school does this on a day that works for the class. In the winter we PT after class, around 1500 or 1600. All of our PRT's are outdoors, running in the roads, and doing push ups/ sit ups in parking lots. Enjoy the indoor ones at RTC while you can!

You can have any electronics you want.. inside of your BEQ (room). There are plenty of people here with CPU's larger than a mini fridge. You cannot however have any type of electronics inside of the schoolhouse, or at most PT. To be safe never have electronics in uniform while on base. You may end up in a space that you can't have it, and forget that you had it. In every barracks building there is a community lounge, this has a large tv with DVD player, most people will connect their laptops and have large viewing parties.. or connect game consoles. There was a VERY large Smash Brothers tournament a few days ago. There is also a liberty center with an internet library, and about 30 tv's with various consoles connected.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
cobalt
**Active Duty**

There are plenty of pictures of the site online, I suggest you just let them google that s*** :P but as it comes to general rules and policies, and most importantly LIBERTY we can answer most of those questions :P

Oh, and don't **** with the wild life. Seriously, don't be the kid who thought it would be funny to poke a snake with a stick or throw rocks at an alligator.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #11
shortstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
There are plenty of pictures of the site online, I suggest you just let them google that s*** :P but as it comes to general rules and policies, and most importantly LIBERTY we can answer most of those questions :P

Oh, and don't **** with the wild life. Seriously, don't be the kid who thought it would be funny to poke a snake with a stick or throw rocks at an alligator.
Believe me cobalt I have spent enough time in the boy scout program that I know to leave the wildlife alone

How often do you get liberty while in Charleston and what kind of limitations are involved?

Nuke Field

-Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #12
shortstuff

Also what if any outdoor activities (camping, fishing, hunting etc) are available while in school? I understand that there probably isn't time at all but just asking out of curiosity.

Nuke Field

-Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My son told me stories about a certain gator near one of the docks! I guess someone tried to pee on it, and it can kind of jump rather high!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
Atom_breaker

There are alligators all over base. You'll see them often. There is a bigger swamp nearby that has a lot more alligators. Also they have fishing and hunting there. There is an Outdoor Adventure Center on base that allows you to rent anything outdoorsy you can imagine. I just went Kayaking on base a few days ago. It was so fun. Make sure you do it! They rent bikes, there are many bike trails around. Again just be careful with animals. Wear bug spray everywhere. You'll have liberty every weekend. Go to Charleston, go to the beach, go fishing, play video games.. do anything you want. For a few weeks you'll have to stay in uniform. Then you'll get civvies (regular clothes) abilities.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
My son told me stories about a certain gator near one of the docks! I guess someone tried to pee on it, and it can kind of jump rather high!
Knowing how much the military *loves* power points, one of the slides they love to show is a Master Chief that went fishing and lost his arm to an alligator. They actually have pictures of the gator with the arm in its mouth!

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
Poonmonsoon182

Poonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud of

When it comes to rooming arrangements, if you're over 21 will your roomates be over 21?

NF 20151221
Poonmonsoon182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonmonsoon182 View Post
When it comes to rooming arrangements, if you're over 21 will your roomates be over 21?
NO. No alcohol on site at all! I've had a few room moves now and multiple roommates, all different ages and progress in the pipeline. There is a bar less than 30 seconds off site though. Right next to the Subway.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
Poonmonsoon182

Poonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud ofPoonmonsoon182 has much to be proud of

Shit, really? I know you can drink in the barracks in the fleet, but no alcohol in the barracks whatsoever? Is that unique to the nuke pipeline, or is that all training commands? I don't want anyone to think I'm an alcoholic or anything, but that's a real bummer.

NF 20151221
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Shit, really? I know you can drink in the barracks in the fleet, but no alcohol in the barracks whatsoever? Is that unique to the nuke pipeline, or is that all training commands? I don't want anyone to think I'm an alcoholic or anything, but that's a real bummer.
Not sure. Alcohol is very taboo here. Most of the NJP's are alcohol related. I have a lot of married friends, I legally go drink at their houses (civilian housing is a plus) and then crash there. Even being drunk of base well get investigations started around here..

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
Atom_breaker

Also no drinking on days preceding an academic day. And there are random breathalyzers for everyone entering the schoolhouse.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #21
Poonmonsoon182

Quote:
Also no drinking on days preceding an academic day. And there are random breathalyzers for everyone entering the schoolhouse.
So you can't have a beer or anything at all except for Friday and Saturday?

NF 20151221
Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
Atom_breaker

Quote:
So you can't have a beer or anything at all except for Friday and Saturday?
"Yes. That is the only days.." ;)

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
Poonmonsoon182

Oh well, I'll just have to adjust then. I'm extremely excited to be in the Navy and be a nuke, but the more I learn about the pipeline, coupled with my own personal experiences in DEP, reinforces my belief that recruiting in general is tailored towards fresh 18 year olds who may need a bit more oversight then those entering at a little older age, which I'm finding a little frustrating. I understand the need for it though.

NF 20151221
Old 08-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #24
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Oh well, I'll just have to adjust then. I'm extremely excited to be in the Navy and be a nuke, but the more I learn about the pipeline, coupled with my own personal experiences in DEP, reinforces my belief that recruiting in general is tailored towards fresh 18 year olds who may need a bit more oversight then those entering at a little older age, which I'm finding a little frustrating. I understand the need for it though.
You will see that that is so accurate. Glad you already see it. Every single thing is tailored to high school students. And being older I don't mind the overbearing nature. It bothers me that it still isn't enough for the less mature.

Anything else you want to know about NNPTC, Nuke, RTC, Navy life? I'm at a "seven month" spot.. I've been in over a year, I've had invaluable amounts of time on hold getting to work "behind the scenes" on many things..

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
Poonmonsoon182

I assume you're an EM because of your avatar, was that your first choice? How long did you wait to class up for A School after Boot Camp, and how long after A School did you wait to class up for Nuke School? Any advice at all about the pipeline thus far, aside from the obvious "work hard, don't do stupid things," etcetera?

NF 20151221
Old 08-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #26
Atom_breaker

Quote:
I assume you're an EM because of your avatar, was that your first choice? How long did you wait to class up for A School after Boot Camp, and how long after A School did you wait to class up for Nuke School? Any advice at all about the pipeline thus far, aside from the obvious "work hard, don't do stupid things," etcetera?
I selected ET, EM, MM. I got EM.. was disappointed at the time. I know now it was the best thing for me. I was one of only two EM's in my bootcamp division. out of 20 nukes.. which is a lot and you shouldn't see that many, but my division was all male so we had more of a concentration. I got to NNPTC Thanksgiving Day, so I did not until January. Just easier to hold us through the holiday stand downs. I finish A School in June. I'll be starting Power School after Labor Day, (some rumors are floating around that we may get held longer..)

As far as advice; review often. I wish I took this advice. Take one hour on a Saturday morning to keep looking at the old subjects. Don't trust anyone, as Nukes we are programmed to be overly honest at all times. On a lot of bases and in many aspects of life shipmates look out for each other and watch their backs.. On this base everyone wants to step on the next guy.. You'll see stories of classmates offering underage sailors alcohol, and when they accept they'll immediately notify the Chain of Command. Just get a good group of friends and do healthy things. Stay away from anything that feels like drama.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #27
Poonmonsoon182

So while you were on hold over the holidays, were you allowed to go home, and what restrictions were you under, like not being allowed to go do things after 2100, etc? Also, good luck with training!

NF 20151221
Old 08-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #28
Atom_breaker

Quote:
So while you were on hold over the holidays, were you allowed to go home, and what restrictions were you under, like not being allowed to go do things after 2100, etc? Also, good luck with training!
I was phase one, so uniform 24 hours of the day, on base and off base. curfew was 2200 every night. Only leave base on the weekends. During stand down I went home like any other student.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
shortstuff

Quote:
I was phase one, so uniform 24 hours of the day, on base and off base. curfew was 2200 every night. Only leave base on the weekends. During stand down I went home like any other student.
How does leave work while in NNPTC (to go home during the holiday stand down)?
How is the food at NNPTC?

Nuke Field

-Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
cobalt
**Active Duty**

eh you can drink any day of the week as long as A) you don't have to go in to the rickover at night and B) you don't drink so much that you can't blow a zero 7 hours later when school starts.... Liberty radius is 75 miles without a chit, but there is a lot of stuff withing 75 miles
Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #31
Atom_breaker

Quote:
eh you can drink any day of the week as long as A) you don't have to go in to the rickover at night and B) you don't drink so much that you can't blow a zero 7 hours later when school starts.... Liberty radius is 75 miles without a chit, but there is a lot of stuff withing 75 miles
Instruction for NMT phase three does not allow alcohol assumption the night preceding academic days while in a training status.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #32
Atom_breaker

Quote:
How does leave work while in NNPTC (to go home during the holiday stand down)?
How is the food at NNPTC?
The food is decent. Everything is fried. The galley used to beat out the RTC galleys for "best galley" if you believe those statistics to begin with. However, the Navy is currently undergoing a major overhaul of galley food. So it's really a toss up as to how the food will be when you get here.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #33
cobalt
**Active Duty**

Im pretty sure thats a new rule.... It definitely wasnt a rule when I was in A school o.O or at least I didn't follow it
Old 08-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #34
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Im pretty sure thats a new rule.... It definitely wasnt a rule when I was in A school o.O or at least I didn't follow it
No one.. Ahem.. I mean everyone sticks to that rule.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #35
sidewinder_x5

sidewinder_x5 is on a distinguished road

sorry to kind of bump a dead thread, but this is regarding space in the BEQ.

All of my earthly belongings fit in my trusty backpack and this old ratty suitcase that I have. My backpack I can get when my parents visit for PIR, but this suitcase, which contains pretty much all my civvies and some trinkets, I was planning on having my uncle ship it over to NNPTC.

A: Would there be a problem with this i.e. anyone higher up the chain would see this and say no?

and

B: would there be enough space to kind of stash it away without taking up too much space?

worst comes to worst, ill just end up donating all my old clothes, but i would really like to keep my sneaker collection...
Switch to NF: 20150309
Ship Date: originally 20150916, now 20151104
sidewinder_x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #36
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder_x5 View Post
sorry to kind of bump a dead thread, but this is regarding space in the BEQ.

All of my earthly belongings fit in my trusty backpack and this old ratty suitcase that I have. My backpack I can get when my parents visit for PIR, but this suitcase, which contains pretty much all my civvies and some trinkets, I was planning on having my uncle ship it over to NNPTC.

A: Would there be a problem with this i.e. anyone higher up the chain would see this and say no?

and

B: would there be enough space to kind of stash it away without taking up too much space?

worst comes to worst, ill just end up donating all my old clothes, but i would really like to keep my sneaker collection...
As long as you're not getting items that are banned from the BEQ rooms, no one will care what you get shipped to you. You get a closet and other furniture that should be able to fit a suitcase worth of stuff in it.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #37
sweetmtn

As far as your sneaker collection...depends on how many you are talking about...just know when you do finish all your training you will be sent to either a carrier or a sub,,,both have very limited space to store stuff.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #38
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

BTW, your parents won't be able to give you your backpack unless they come to the airport to see you off after PIR. Then you will be in dress uniform and anything you carry has to accessorize with that. IIRC, a backpack must to be black.
It doesn't sound like you have too much stuff, but the suitcase might be difficult to stow.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #39
Nicknyte
**Active Duty**

Nicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
As long as you're not getting items that are banned from the BEQ rooms, no one will care what you get shipped to you. You get a closet and other furniture that should be able to fit a suitcase worth of stuff in it.
Oh man, we just had a huge "Health and Wellness" inspection a few weeks ago. Everyone rooms got checked. It was crazy. So much booze found.

NUKE WAIVER SIGNED: 20140904
SHIPDATE: 20150128
GRADUATION: 20150206
ASCHOOL GRADUATION: 20150925

Let me know if you have any questions on the pipeline! -ETN3 Nicknyte
Nicknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #40
Poonmonsoon182

Do they announce inspections or was it a total surprise?

NF 20151221
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #41
Nicknyte
**Active Duty**

Nicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to allNicknyte is a name known to all

Quote:
Do they announce inspections or was it a total surprise?
Total surprise. I was in the middle of cleaning the Rickover (T-Track) and then all students were told to leave the building immediately except for married sailors. Power Schoolers left in the building assumed everyone elses watch, and all the BEQs were inspected. No notice whatsoever.

NUKE WAIVER SIGNED: 20140904
SHIPDATE: 20150128
GRADUATION: 20150206
ASCHOOL GRADUATION: 20150925

Let me know if you have any questions on the pipeline! -ETN3 Nicknyte
Nicknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #42
ScarletRose

ScarletRose is on a distinguished road

Just a few questions!
What holidays are included in stand down times?
Do the liberty radius rules apply during those times or would I be okay to see my family in PA as long as I get back in time?
If my family comes to South Carolina for vacation would they be allowed on base at all and could I show them my room or anything?
Has anyone failed out that you started with?
Are there many females there?
ScarletRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #43
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletRose View Post
Just a few questions!
What holidays are included in stand down times?
Do the liberty radius rules apply during those times or would I be okay to see my family in PA as long as I get back in time?
If my family comes to South Carolina for vacation would they be allowed on base at all and could I show them my room or anything?
I can answer a couple of these as a former-nuke dad. Holiday stand-down is just Christmas. You will need a chit (permission) to go as far as PA, but that is completely routine, not a problem.

The only time we as family were on base, by which I assume you mean the part of the base where the school is, was at graduations, and then only certain parts of the campus not including the BEQ. If you family comes down for vacation, best to think in terms of visiting downtown Charleston (1/2 hour away) and/or Patriots Point, maybe go to the beach at Isle of Palms or Folly Beach.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #44
sweetmtn

As a former nuke mom, when my son went through, he would tell me each month how many failed or dropped out...he said by the end of all the training, he was in the MM pipeline, about 1/4 where no longer there from his class. My son graduated 2nd in his class.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #45
ScarletRose

ScarletRose is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for the answers!
I was kind of hoping government recognized holidays would all be included, blah. Oh well. So I guess it's safe to say I probably won't be seeing my family after PIR until Christmas unless they come down for a visit, eh?
I was telling my mom though that it'd probably be best if they took their vacation where they really want to go if the only reason to come to Charleston would be to see me considering the only "free time" I'll really have is liberty on the weekend and even then I probably ought to use at least part of it for extra study. During the week I don't see myself having but a few hours to actually leave base and do family stuff, plus there's a curfew...
How long does the holiday stand down last for?

I've been hearing a lot about the attrition rate, and I do have to admit I am a bit nervous. It's going to be weird being back in school after I've been out for so long, though I feel a little better seeing that a lot of other Nukes going in aren't necessarily straight out of high school either. I'm especially hoping I'll be able to pick up physics quickly, I never did take that subject.
ScarletRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #46
sweetmtn

Scarletrose, If I remember correctly, my son was in Power School when he surprised me coming home during Christmas...in fact he scared the crap out of me! He showed up just after I turned all the outside lights off, (I live way out in the country on a ranch with no neighbors and I live alone) I thought I saw headlights which is not normal for my area, but they left....next thing I see is my son walking in the door! He had a friend pick him up at the airport and surprised me...which of course I was very happy to see him...but the first words out of my mouth besides OMG..."Did you get kicked out!???" It is funny now looking back, but I hadn't seen him since his PIR and he was always telling me how hard it was...from what I remember he only took one week of leave as he wanted to have longer when he was sent to his duty station when he finished Prototype since he wouldn't know ahead of time if the ship would be going out immediately on deployment after he got there.

Tags
a school, hold, nnptc, nuke, ttrack