NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
soskyonsos

soskyonsos is on a distinguished road
Default HM A School Fort Sam Houston

Anyone attending or graduate from there recently. I'm a HM who'll be going off to boot in September. I would love to know what the A school is like.
soskyonsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

I'm currently at HM A-school. I'm about 1/2 way done. What would you like to know?
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
soskyonsos

soskyonsos is on a distinguished road

Uhh I guess what it was like for you. Were there a lot of places to go for liberty. Did you find the Emt portion to be as difficult as they say it is?
soskyonsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
notjustaUSNwife

So far it has been busy here. Study, study, study for EMT. It is definitely as hard as they say. Don't let up for Corpsman Fundamentals. That's the test I'm studying for this weekend. It is a TON of information to learn in a short time. As far as liberty, you'll have phase 1 which is the first 2 weeks. Everywhere you go you have to be in uniform and you have to be in the barracks by 2200. The second 2 weeks is phase 2 and you can wear civies. You have to be in by 2200 on week days and 0000 on the weekends. Phase 3 is civies, home by 2200 on week days and on the weekends you can leave at liberty call on Friday and don't have to be back til 2200 on Sunday. There is a ton to do here. There are a couple huge malls, the River Walk, the Alamo, Sea World, 6 Flags. There's more but that's just the list of stuff I can name off the top of my head. There are tons of places to eat.

Here's your typical Monday, Wednesday, Friday
0430-0530ish : PT
0630 : Muster for Super Fleet, form up with your class, march to chow with all of Corps School
0700-0730 : Muster for Super Fleet to march to the school house with your class and all of Corps School
0800-1200 : Class which usually consists of death by powerpoint or a lab and a few 15 minute breaks in between
1215 : Super Fleet again!!! Yay!!!
1245ish-1320 : Chow
1320 : Super Fleet back to the schoolhouse
1400-1700 : Class
1700 : Super Fleet!!! Head back to the barracks.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are pretty much the same with the exception of PT. You'll have to field day on Thursday so liberty is secure at 1900, you muster for field day at 1915, then you clean from 1930-2030. You'll have duty every 5 days. There are 10? duty sections. I say 10? because there were 10 when I got here and we had duty every 10 days but they just started doubling up on Friday so there are now 5? duty sections. It's been progressively getting more strict since I've gotten here so there's kind of no telling what you're in for. There are 2 classes that literally muster and practice marching in circles every night at 1930 because they can't get right.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Good luck!

Last edited by Craig; 03-30-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
navyhellokitty

navyhellokitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soskyonsos View Post
Anyone attending or graduate from there recently. I'm a HM who'll be going off to boot in September. I would love to know what the A school is like.
cool im hm too youll be have done with basic when I get there(oct.1) but know we
ll run into each other in texas goodluck
navyhellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
matzo

matzo is on a distinguished road

Are you still there?
matzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
notjustaUSNwife

As in am I still at A-School?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
matzo

yes, just wondering if you could gather up some info on SARC
Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
notjustaUSNwife

When I got here they weren't taking anyone into the SARC program. They were only accepting people for SOCP who wanted to go SAR and DMT. My roommate just got out of SOCP recently because she got FMTB orders so I can get updated info from her possibly. You'll have to do a special physical here at A-school and do a PRT before they'll let you join SOCP and that's about all I've got for ya for now.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
matzo

Thanks for the info.
I appreciate it
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
lacrosseplayer1

lacrosseplayer1 is on a distinguished road

Do you know how available FMF or FMTB billets are?
lacrosseplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseplayer1 View Post
Do you know how available FMF or FMTB billets are?
No one can answer this definitively really. It changes for every class. About 1/4 of our males got FMTB and I've only heard of 1 female getting FMTB in the 3 months I have been here. Also, the majority of our males that got FMTB are going to hospitals, not to Division.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
lacrosseplayer1

Okay, thanks!
Another question, when would someone volunteer for SAR/SARC/DMT? Is it early in A-school or when you pick your duty stations?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
lacrosseplayer1

Also what did you mean by hospitals and not division? Does that mean that they go to FMTB and then to a blue side hospital as opposed to a green side unit?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Also what did you mean by hospitals and not division? Does that mean that they go to FMTB and then to a blue side hospital as opposed to a green side unit?
Exactly
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Okay, thanks!
Another question, when would someone volunteer for SAR/SARC/DMT? Is it early in A-school or when you pick your duty stations?
Thanks
You try out for SOCP as early as you can.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
HM_Duke

HM_Duke is on a distinguished road

How long did you have to wait to class up? Know anyone with unusually long class up waits?
HM_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #18
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM_Duke View Post
How long did you have to wait to class up? Know anyone with unusually long class up waits?
The longest, that I know of, was 3 weeks. Most people have 1 week of indoc before they class up.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
HM_Duke

HM_Duke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
I'm currently at HM A-school. I'm about 1/2 way done. What would you like to know?
As crowded as the HM community is, do you think they'll squeeze in a few HMs that did really well in school into AAP?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1430-010.pdf
HM_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #20
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM_Duke View Post
As crowded as the HM community is, do you think they'll squeeze in a few HMs that did really well in school into AAP?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1430-010.pdf
Let's put it this way, I put that package in and no one had ever seen it before so that was a pain AND I'm pretty sure it got eaten by zombies or something because multiple people had seen it but had no idea where it was routed. There's a Master Chief still trying to track it down but I've checked in at my first command so I'm pretty sure I'm SOL now. Based on that I'm gonna go with no but you can always try. My roommate asked her Chief how to get rank out of there. He flat out said you couldn't. I knew a mortician that got advanced but it was in her contract because they have to give civilian morticians an incentive to enlist since the Navy doesn't have training for that. Honor grad gets a FLOC. That's your pat on the back for your hard work which isn't too bad considering it's a point toward advancement and the good cookie doesn't count for advancement points anymore soooooo...long explanation to say your best bet is to work toward that number one spot and get the FLOC. Try AAP though...the worst that can happen is they can say no...or it can be eaten by zombies and disappear.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
blitz023

blitz023 is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in the SOCP pipeline. Are there any reserve ratings? Also what is the PRT for SOCP look like? Can I get it on top of FMTB? I have FMTB in my contract since I am a reserve.
blitz023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #22
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz023 View Post
I'm interested in the SOCP pipeline. Are there any reserve ratings? Also what is the PRT for SOCP look like? Can I get it on top of FMTB? I have FMTB in my contract since I am a reserve.
SOCP is SARC, Search and Rescue, DMT. Those are all considered C-Schools. Reservists are not eligible for C-Schools. You will only be able to go to FMTB and back to your NOSC. If you still want to know about the PST ("the SOCP PRT") it's different for each program so I'd just google it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #23
delucabv1

delucabv1 is on a distinguished road

It's a lot of studying. school from 0800-1700 and one hour break for chow. you have something called field day on thursday when u clean your room for an hour. youll have watches and duty section (more cleaning). you PT on M/W/F at 0430. make sure you study! 7 test failures and your sent undesignated to the fleet
delucabv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
notjustaUSNwife

You go to AOB (Academic Oversight Board) at 6 failures. Sometimes they let you stay in the program sometimes they don't depending how you make your case. The person that I knew that failed out of the program got sent to MA school. It's not a hard and fast rule that you go chip paint after 6 test failures.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #25
matzo

Finally here in Ft. Sam
Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #26
HMHunt

HMHunt is on a distinguished road

I am trying to go back to Fort Sam. As much as I hated San Antonio. I'm trying to get PMT C School. It's a pain in the ass when you're already in the Fleet, so if you want C School or are thinking about C School, put in for it while you're in A School.
HMHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
HannahZee

HannahZee is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyhellokitty View Post
cool im hm too youll be have done with basic when I get there(oct.1) but know we
ll run into each other in texas goodluck
I leave August 11, maybe I'll run into you guys there too
HannahZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
HannahZee

HannahZee is on a distinguished road

What's Super Fleet?? O.O
HannahZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #29
AustinMA

AustinMA is on a distinguished road

For those who haven't been to this school and are looking for info, my dad use to be a director there until his retirement a year ago. Everyone there is there to ensure you are able to perform your duties to the best of your abilities. No one is going to yell at you as long as you aren't slacking off. It is pretty much a college atmosphere in a professional enviornment. The only people that may rub you wrong are the power-thriving civilians, but much like MEPS, you'll have to deal with many of them throughout your military career.
AustinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #30
FSIdriss

FSIdriss is on a distinguished road

Hey I have a question? Will it be a lot of hands on training? Also what type of stuff should we start studying? Im trying to get a step ahead of the game. Ive heard that the first things are Basic Life Support, EMT and basic/intermediate nursing. Can you give a little more details please? Especially more insight about the classess you take
FSIdriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #31
JSlattery

JSlattery will become famous soon enough

I haven't gone through A school yet, but one of the videos I watched from someone actually showed the book they use for the first part of A School, which is EMT. They were literally using the updated version of the EMS book they use in EMT classes and that I used when I got my EMT.

Start using things like EMT basics. A (Airway), B (Breathing), C (Circulation). Your BCLS (CPR) would help. Human Anatomy is also a good help, start learning the major organs, where they are, the major bones, etc.

Again, I only say this as a Healthcare worker going into HM. But things like this will help through the EMT, which they say is some of the hardest.

DEP: 20140827
Ship: 20150324
JSlattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #32
ccullon89

ccullon89 is on a distinguished road

How long is A-school for HM?
ccullon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #33
HMBarahona

HMBarahona is on a distinguished road

HM school in San Antonio is around 3 Months, just dont get rolled back or get into trouble and you will be fine.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #34
HMBarahona

HMBarahona is on a distinguished road

Super fleet is when you march with your class division and the rest of the school house.. so in other words everyone marches together to breakfast and then from breakfast to the school house.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #35
KickerGirl91

KickerGirl91 is on a distinguished road

How much command driven PT is there? I prefer working out on my own and have had some knee problems recently so I tend to spend more time on the elliptical or bike.
KickerGirl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #36
Loganjharr

Loganjharr is on a distinguished road
Default Navy corpsman nec change????

Hi, I got HMDA which is dental assistent, I leave for a school shortly but don't start school until December 13, I really am going to try everything possible to go FMF possibly even SARC. Is there any way I can get into that instead of going to dental tech school? I was told by the reclassification lady doing my paperwork to not worry I should be able to request that when I get down there, is this true? Please help.
Loganjharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #37
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganjharr View Post
Hi, I got HMDA which is dental assistant, I leave for a school shortly but don't start school until December 13, I really am going to try everything possible to go FMF possibly even SARC. Is there any way I can get into that instead of going to dental tech school? I was told by the reclassification lady doing my paperwork to not worry I should be able to request that when I get down there, is this true? Please help.
You can go to FMTB as a DA, I have a friend who I went to A-school with that went to FMTB and is actually trying to switch over to SARC. I don't know about not going dental after you've already shipped out and such but you can definitely still go to FMTB.
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #38
KickerGirl91

KickerGirl91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganjharr View Post
Hi, I got HMDA which is dental assistent, I leave for a school shortly but don't start school until December 13, I really am going to try everything possible to go FMF possibly even SARC. Is there any way I can get into that instead of going to dental tech school? I was told by the reclassification lady doing my paperwork to not worry I should be able to request that when I get down there, is this true? Please help.
From what they have been telling the people in my class you can't stop dental until you've had the NEC for at least 2 years. It may be different if you're coming from the fleet but from what we were told, dental has their own quotas and if your contract says dental you have to go dental.
KickerGirl91 is offline   Reply With Quote