NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Cobblestone

Cobblestone is on a distinguished road

Thanks!! If there are holds during the initial school for CTI, is it possible to take college classes to work towards a bachelors? (I already have an associates) For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Cobblestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Realistically speaking your hold time will be 2 months at most, and juggling time for other classes with DLI would be very difficult to say the least. There's a chance, but it's a very small one.

CTT1 is better acquainted with the SSBI process than I am, but as far as I understand, they're not going to trust any one person implicitly.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks for the info!!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Cobblestone:

The people assigned to your case are seasoned investigators, they can tell who's worth trusting and who isn't. The reason they branch out on your contacts like that is to see if they can find anything you or your close circle of friends might not tell them. But they have a good sense for what's reliable and what isn't. They will also go over any issues or discrepancies with you to get some clarification.

So long story short, just be honest about everything and it will work itself out. They're looking at you, not some other person! If everything you tell them checks out then you'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stress enough how much people freak out about the investigation cycle in DEP or in boot.

As long as you're honest and don't have anything to hide then you're gonna be fine. You'll see plenty of people freaking out or telling some kind of polygraph horror story, but 90% of those are either WAY exaggerated or just flat out fabrications.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
FutureSailorjb2

FutureSailorjb2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
I can't stress enough how much people freak out about the investigation cycle in DEP or in boot.

As long as you're honest and don't have anything to hide then you're gonna be fine. You'll see plenty of people freaking out or telling some kind of polygraph horror story, but 90% of those are either WAY exaggerated or just flat out fabrications.

/r
CTT1
Alright this thread has be great to read. I have definitely learned a lot. I'm curious as to the polygraph stuff. I have heard both ways, some say you will take one some say you won't and its just a scare tactic. Anyway to settle the debate?
FutureSailorjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailorjb2 View Post
Alright this thread has be great to read. I have definitely learned a lot. I'm curious as to the polygraph stuff. I have heard both ways, some say you will take one some say you won't and its just a scare tactic. Anyway to settle the debate?
You're only going to get one if you're going to command that requires you to have one done (IE most NIOCs).

CTI's and CTN's pretty much work there exclusively, so they'll get theirs done eventually. If they can get them done at boot, then great. If not, they'll get it done while in holding before start work at their command.

As a T brancher that was heading to a ship, I didn't have to get one done until I came to shore duty. Same with R branchers; they won't always be required to have one at every command they go to.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
realgaz

realgaz is on a distinguished road

Army has the 35P which is the equivalent to the CTI rating.

I know within the army they have support roles for special forces and what not. Things like SOT-A.
Is there an equivalent role for CTI in the navy? if so do you know anything about the process to become qualified or to simply volunteer?
realgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgaz View Post
Army has the 35P which is the equivalent to the CTI rating.

I know within the army they have support roles for special forces and what not. Things like SOT-A.
Is there an equivalent role for CTI in the navy? if so do you know anything about the process to become qualified or to simply volunteer?
The CT community has something we call TIO (Tactical Information Operations) that supports NSW (Spec Ops). It's a very tight knit community and they can be pretty choosy about who they take and who they don't.

Once you get through A-school and have settled in at your command, just ask your chain-of-command about getting in contact with one of the TIO recruiters at your site. They'll fill you in on specifics. It's not something you can do right out of A-school though and they typically want you to have some experience doing your job before they pick you up. You'll also need to be in pretty good physical condition as well.

But yes, we do have something like that and it's totally doable if you're willing to chase it down.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping for a new member
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks! I think I should be 100% fine then!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
Ok, thanks! I think I should be 100% fine then!
You will be. People make this process way more difficult than it needs to be haha

/r
CTT1
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Been seeing some CT/Security Clearance questions pop up again.

Bumping for visibility.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
peanutbutter

peanutbutter is on a distinguished road

is it possible for someone with a moral waiver to get a DAR approved for a CT or IS rating?
peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
is it possible for someone with a moral waiver to get a DAR approved for a CT or IS rating?
Anything that shows poor moral judgement will normally disqualify you from access to classified material, especially at the TS//SCI level. So most likely CT or IS is not a path that will be open to you if you're enlisting with a moral waiver.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bump
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
USNAVYCASTRO

USNAVYCASTRO is on a distinguished road

Hey CTT1 I posted this in another thread. But I'll post here cause I don't think anyone noticed :p
regarding the security clearances for CTI/CTT/CTN my mother and older sister are not US Citizens, they are residents. I know they are planning on taking the citizenship test, so should I wait to join aCT rating until they are citizens? Is it possible to join a different rate and then when they become citizens swap to a CT rating?
USNAVYCASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
NavySpouse

NavySpouse is on a distinguished road

What can be expected as far as sea/shore duty and/or deployments. Typically how long would we be apart in the CTI rating and assumedly where are stations for middle eastern languages. How much work does the Navy CTI do with the other branches as well. Will you work with Army and Airforce or almost exclusively Navy
NavySpouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #19
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySpouse View Post
What can be expected as far as sea/shore duty and/or deployments. Typically how long would we be apart in the CTI rating and assumedly where are stations for middle eastern languages. How much work does the Navy CTI do with the other branches as well. Will you work with Army and Airforce or almost exclusively Navy
CTIs don't have a sea/shore rotation, just an in CONUS/out CONUS one. Sand languages go to Georgia. There are opportunities for aircrew (need to be in good shape, pass aircrew and SERE school), dirsup (short term assignment to ships, not ships company), and subs (males only), but it'll come down to needs of the navy. Those kinds of assignments are mostly navy, but shore duty is mostly joint.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #20
blueice6102

blueice6102 is on a distinguished road

IS CT(R) a desk rider/desk jockey rate? Do you get to go to sea?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #21
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
IS CT(R) a desk rider/desk jockey rate? Do you get to go to sea?
Not by any means. They absolutely get out to sea on ships and can also take special duty doing submarines or aircrew. CTR and CTT are the two most versatile of the CT rates.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #22
Marcheline

Marcheline is on a distinguished road

Hi there and thank you for taking your time to answer questions! I am interested in a CTI rate and I have a couple technical questions. I passed the ASVAB with 82 and the individual scores qualify me for the job. However ,not having a US citizenship disqualifies me from any intel' jobs until I obtain my citizenship. I've been eligible for years but with three kids and only one income I could never pay the nearly $800 in application fees. I am a college graduate and I speak two more languages besides English. I have also experience in translation/interpretation for EU agencies.
I wonder If I can sign a contract for CTI that would be contingent upon becoming a US citizen which I would while in boot camp? I also wonder if the rate is currently undermanned and if this would help my case , considering my qualifications?
Thank you again for all your efforts!
Marcheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #23
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

This depends a lot on how your recruiting command functions. The command that I work in requires that TS/SCI clearances be fully adjudicated before shipping. If that's the case where you're enlisting out of, then it wouldn't be possible. As far as the actual Big Navy policy, I don't know. I only know how my command functions.
As for manning, right now CTI is not overmanned, but is nearing a balance. Given how the Navy likes to flood a rate I would expect it to say open for a while. It's difficult to find people for this rate because of the DLAB. In fact, we recently gave a girl a waiver for 3 points on her DLAB so she could qualify. Just that alone should tell you that we are in desperate need for CTIs.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #24
Beck94

Beck94 is on a distinguished road

This is not about CT, but IS. Do you know where most IS end up getting stationed after they finish A-school? Do they usually deploy or stay on shore?
Beck94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
rjk707

rjk707 is on a distinguished road

CTT1,

When you say a full tour do you mean a deployment or a full contract length.
rjk707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #26
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk707 View Post
CTT1,

When you say a full tour do you mean a deployment or a full contract length.
A full tour = ~3 years at your first command, with the clock starting after you graduate A/C school and PCS. After that you'll renegotiate for new orders and then you can try for TIO (you may have to reenlist if your contract is almost over).
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #27
gameingkine
**Active Duty**

gameingkine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck94 View Post
This is not about CT, but IS. Do you know where most IS end up getting stationed after they finish A-school? Do they usually deploy or stay on shore?

For us it really depends on your NEC. but the billets are pretty split 50/50 for shore and sea. one of the perks for us right now is we pick our billet so near the end of A school they line all the actives up outside by grade order. Highest grade going first. we then pick from a list of billets they give us. Granted we get the list a day prior so we do a mock run when we come in later that night but anyways each billet has the NEC with it. you cant pick your NEC then your station. each station has what NEC it needs. but because we are a 6 year contract they will get a sea and shore out of you. count on that.

Also we go to C-school. All IS's go to C school right after A school.

Without being classed back the whole schooling takes between 6-9 months. again, depending on which NEC school you go to
Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #28
Beck94

Beck94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameingkine View Post
For us it really depends on your NEC. but the billets are pretty split 50/50 for shore and sea. one of the perks for us right now is we pick our billet so near the end of A school they line all the actives up outside by grade order. Highest grade going first. we then pick from a list of billets they give us. Granted we get the list a day prior so we do a mock run when we come in later that night but anyways each billet has the NEC with it. you cant pick your NEC then your station. each station has what NEC it needs. but because we are a 6 year contract they will get a sea and shore out of you. count on that.

Also we go to C-school. All IS's go to C school right after A school.

Without being classed back the whole schooling takes between 6-9 months. again, depending on which NEC school you go to
Thanks for the information! I read somewhere on here that each NEC went to a specific place after they complete C school, such as, [REDACTED]
As far as Op intel, can they go anywhere or do they usually have a specific place to go?

Then from there you might be attached to a specific ship or carrier for deployment.

Is there any truth to this?

Also, are there usually intelligence specialists on each ship or carrier during deployment or do they usually stay at shore?

Sorry for all the questions, just not a whole lot of info about IS around.

Last edited by FlyNavy; 08-17-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Beck94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt