NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
blindchicken11

blindchicken11 is on a distinguished road
Default What happens if you don't pass the run test?

My girlfriend is currently in bootcamp, but is stuck in the ship 04 division2444 for extra PT training because she hasn't been able to complete her running test. She passed her swim/pushups/situps/written tests on the first try. She's been over her run test by about 20+ seconds each time. She was upbeat when I talked to her, said she was exercising a lot and keeping up with the chiefs and RC's that have been pushing her. Running double the distance at least every day. However, she said this is her last week to pass it apparently? She's been in there for two weeks now, and this will be her third starting tomorrow. What happens if she doesn't pass her run test this time?

Edit: She got very down and I'm worried she's gonna lose motivation. Said it's been tough being surrounded by a lot of people that just want to quit.

Edit 2: Don't know if it makes a difference, but she got very sick for most of the time she was there with flu like symptoms. She spent a lot of time in whatever the sick place is, and had her sit out the few runs they did during normal PT. She got better the last regular week though.

Last edited by blindchicken11; 07-31-2016 at 02:04 PM.
blindchicken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
yozongu

yozongu is on a distinguished road

Iirc they give you 10 chances to pass PRT after the initial and the retake ( which makes it 12). If you fail after 10 chances you get processed for separation ( Not sure if uncharacterized or admin sep, most likely the former)

That being said I don't really like how they made her run double distance everyday because that'll just wear your body out and even makes it worse.
yozongu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozongu View Post
Iirc they give you 10 chances to pass PRT after the initial and the retake ( which makes it 12). If you fail after 10 chances you get processed for separation ( Not sure if uncharacterized or admin sep, most likely the former)

That being said I don't really like how they made her run double distance everyday because that'll just wear your body out and even makes it worse.
It would be classified as an entry level separation.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
erinlynn6

erinlynn6 is on a distinguished road

The theory on doubling the distance is to build endurance; however, she should not be running longer distances daily. I've had to do this with my son because he has a slow mile time. The theory is that if you train your body to go 3 or 4 miles regularly, then a 1.5 mile sprint is a walk in the park because you've increased your endurance, muscle strength, and lung capacity to withstand higher cardio levels.

The downside is, as yozongu said, it will wear you down faster. Distance should only be done 2 or 3 days a week and run sprints or intervals on the other days. You definitely need down days if you're running distance.

One good method is to pick a route with several up/down hills. One day a week walk the up hills and run the downs, this will increase speed and leg power. The other two days walk the down hills and run the ups, this will increase endurance and lung capacity. The next week alternate. On the flat surfaces maintain a steady jog pace to keep your heartrate up but not exhaust yourself.
erinlynn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Funkymiss

Funkymiss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozongu View Post

Question - what if from day 1 you can't do the required number of push-ups ? I found something online that said "probationary", but I'm still unable to do that number. I'm 29, not overweight, just never had to do push ups before. I have to do 15 and I leave in 5 weeks. Right now I can do 3. Will they send me home on the first day ? Thanks
Funkymiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

For push-ups you will do them as fast as possible. I would practice now on your knees for a few weeks. If you can do like 40 on your knees you most likely will be able to do the 15 regular. Also doing them incline on a table or wall will help build that muscle. You'll definitely be able if you start now. Do multiple sets a day. But give rest days too.
Soccer_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Arowe

Arowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymiss View Post
Question - what if from day 1 you can't do the required number of push-ups ? I found something online that said "probationary", but I'm still unable to do that number. I'm 29, not overweight, just never had to do push ups before. I have to do 15 and I leave in 5 weeks. Right now I can do 3. Will they send me home on the first day ? Thanks
When do you ship out?
Arowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Funkymiss

Funkymiss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowe View Post
When do you ship out?

Sept 16
Funkymiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Arowe

Arowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymiss View Post
Sept 16
Just keep pushing your self each morning and night. Last week I could only do 1 & drop & now I'm able to do 20 under 2 minutes . I was told it's a mind thing and I also thought my body wasn't capable of doing them but I just realized I would give up and not push myself .
Arowe is offline   Reply With Quote