NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Gunnersate1995

Gunnersate1995 is on a distinguished road
Default Division 900 Triple Threat and GL A school

I leave for basic on the 18th and was wondering how I can get into the triple threat division and what not? Also, how is A school for gunners mates in GL???? How quick do phase go by and is it based off of performance? I live 31 miles from base, when can I visit home??? Thank you in advance!
Gunnersate1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

1. 900 divisions are semi-random. For the honor guard and the state flags divisions, you just have to get there at the right time and be lucky. For the triple-threat you have to A) get there within a week of when they are trying to fill it and B) have a skill that fills an open slot. If both of those are true, then they will come around and ask for volunteers, audition you, and if you pass you will transfer to that division.

2. I dont know any GMs, maybe someone else can comment on that portion.

3. Liberty phases actually depend on the school that you are at. Generically, phase 1 is about 2 weeks or so, phase 2 is about 3 weeks, and then phase 3 is the rest of the time you are there. However at YN A school, for example, you go to phase 3 after 1 week and skip phase 2 completely. They may have requirements to get off of phase 1 like passing a mock PFA, passing an indoc test, etc. However this should be easy since you just came from boot camp. After that, most commands typically just do it based on time as long as you are in good academic standing, pass your inspections, and dont get in trouble.

4. You could visit home any time once you are on phase 3, and depending on the command even phase 2.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
DGladhill

DGladhill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnersate1995 View Post
I leave for basic on the 18th and was wondering how I can get into the triple threat division and what not? Also, how is A school for gunners mates in GL???? How quick do phase go by and is it based off of performance? I live 31 miles from base, when can I visit home??? Thank you in advance!
You volunteer for the 900 divisions if you've got some sort of musical background. They'll go around asking all the fresh recruits the morning/night you get there. Phases are generally based off of your time there and if you're showing up on time and doing what you're supposed to do. If liberty in GL is like it is here in FL, you'll be able to head home during phase 2 - which is 2 weeks in and requires us to have all of our watch qualifications done.
Graduated ATT: 20160708

Currently enjoying sunny ole P-cola!
DGladhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Gunnersate1995

Okay awesome! Thank you so much I appreciate it greatly!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
jarett88

jarett88 is on a distinguished road

Hello, My daughter ships out on the 18th also she will be going to MA school in TX.
jarett88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Gunnersate1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarett88 View Post
Hello, My daughter ships out on the 18th also she will be going to MA school in TX.
I might be in her division or see her there, cool!!!
I'm future sailed Neely!
Also, Texas is awesome I lived there for for 11 years before moving to the Midwest

Last edited by Gunnersate1995; 05-10-2016 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a comment
Old 05-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was in a 900 division, 912 to be exact which was a triple threat. It wasn't hard to get into it. Essentially the night we got there, they asked each group if anyone played an instrument or sang...I was the only one in my group and he had me sing in front of everyone in the group. Anyway, I got a big fat 9 on my hand after that and was put into the performing division. There are three types of 900 divisions: Staff, State Flags and Triple Threat. When you get there will depend on what you get put into if you're selected for 900.

Personally, I loved it because we performed at three graduations and it was awesome performing at my own, but it wasn't nearly as 'hard' as the other normal divisions had. Just a little more stressful because we did a lot of stuff to do, in less time and we still had to do everything else lol.

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Gunnersate1995

Was PT as strenuous as the rest of the divisions had it? I'm also focused on getting as much PT as I can!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was PT as strenuous as the rest of the divisions had it? I'm also focused on getting as much PT as I can!
I was in division 949, also a triple threat. The PT can range from significantly less to double what other divisions do, but for sure you probably are not going to get IT nearly as much as the other divisions. Performers that were in an organized performing group like marching band seem to have a much easier time adjusting to the idea of doing what is asked and not asking questions. This leads to significantly less IT.

However, you do still have to meet the same fitness requirements and academic requirements with less time available for either. In our case we were not only a 900 so we lost time to practice, but we our entire training group was ALSO a compressed schedule, so we lost even more time to that. To make up for it our RDCs hit the ground running with PT. We did a 5 minute sustained run the first day, then the next time we went to run was bumped up to 10 minutes, then 15 the next time, then 20 every time after that. This was basically 2-3 sessions ahead of schedule. As far as our in-compartment PT, they pretty much doubled whatever the book said to do that day.

It sucked, but if you push through it and keep trying you will be golden come time for the PFA. I went to boot camp unable to do enough pushups or situps in the time limit to even pass, and was 2 minutes 30 seconds over on my max time for the run. By the end of boot camp I had gotten comfortably in the "good" range.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It wasn't as strenuous...but then it was if that makes sense. With us not being able to workout as much or as hard as other divisions that made it kind of a hassle for the point of exercise. A lot of what we did when we got into week 4 was in house pt consisting of like a rush of everything and laughter because it was so absurd...but it was on the POD so it had to be done. We did however get IT twice I believe, once because two girls thought they could treat a senior div like crap and another time for some other drama...actually, one of those times was ITE...super embarrassing...but one of the baby divs had ITE three times once they got to the ship...that is a struggle and ridiculously embarrassing. I only wish that we were able to work out more.

I can say that it helped me improve my run tremendously. I went from running my 1.5 in about 17+ (horrible, I know) and failing my first and second PFA to passing my final in 15:37, by the time I got to A-school I ran it in about 14:08 and did my last one in Meridian at 13:34...a huge improvement! I'll warn you that in my opinion, running at Freedom Hall sucks...ventilation is a joke haha, but don't be to worried about it. For me the push was getting the heck out of there when I was supposed to!

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #11
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

I can second Rach4USN's closing statement. Focus on whatever motivates you and push as hard as you can. For me it was what my wife's voice would sound like on the phone if I told her that I failed the final PFA. I am surprised I didn't finish faster than everyone haha!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

I'm a GM. Love the job. Graduated this year too from A school. Currently at my first command.

You can visit your home since it's well within the 300 mile radius. I have gone to so many places during my time in GL from Canada, Upper Peninsula, St. Louis, WI, and even broke the rules and drive to Minneapolis-St. Paul. But yea, you can visit your home... thing is, you'll need a liberty buddy for all phases, unless you finish A school and become phase 3+, but that's also dependent on the barracks that you're placed in. Some barracks phase you up faster than others depending on their CoC and rules.
I enjoyed some parts of GM A school, some parts I hated... mostly the instructors' issues. Probably because I've been to school longer than many of my classmates.
But yea, I enjoyed my time in GL even though they were super strict compared to other A school training command bases. It really is what you make of it.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote