NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Mako17

Mako17 is on a distinguished road
Smile I GOT MY FIRST CALL FROM MY HUBBY. YEHEY!

Hubby left on Feb. 20 for bootcamp and finally made his first call today. I'm so happy i could die!
Mako17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

How is he doing? I'm sure my mom will be just as happy as you are when I call her for the first time haha

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Yay!! I love those phone calls!!! You'll never get tired of your phone ringing when he's gone!!

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
NavyGuyRob

NavyGuyRob is on a distinguished road

Thats awesome..how is he doing..and how long are the calls??
NavyGuyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Mako17

Mako17 is on a distinguished road

The call was 12-minute long. At first he was crying coz he really missed me and our daughter . He also told me that he never expected that it's gonna be that hard, both physically, mentally and emotionally. I just assured him that everything's doing great for us and that he doesn't need to worry about anything. Most of all, i told him to just always pray to God and for He will not forsake him.
Mako17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
SailorWSanchez

SailorWSanchez is on a distinguished road

That always works. My husband left on the 29th of Jan and I will see him in three weeks and he has called twice since he has been gone its so nice to get that call
SailorWSanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Shenanigans

Shenanigans is on a distinguished road

My boyfriend left yesterday & everyone keeps saying "Stay busy" which isn't helping me any...the more I have on my schedule, the less I can focus on anything but missing him...any suggestions?
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
My boyfriend left yesterday & everyone keeps saying "Stay busy" which isn't helping me any...the more I have on my schedule, the less I can focus on anything but missing him...any suggestions?
The non sugar coated message - learn to deal with it. He'll be gone a lot.

The better message? Take things one day at a time. This was the advice my husband gave to me when he left for boot the first time. Take it one day a time. If you can handle one day, then you can certainly handle 2... After 2 days, you could double that, and handle 4 with no problems.. Then you can handle a weekend... A week.. A month.. And so on. He WILL be gone a lot. There's no getting around that. Bootcamp and the first deployment are really the hardest. You're unsure of a lot - how much will they change, how much will you change, etc. After that point, it's not easy by any means, but you learn how to cope in your own ways. For me, it's staying busy. The busier I stay, the less I have time to focus on his absence. I also try to learn something new every time he leaves. One of the deployments, I learned how to sew.. another one, I learned how to crochet.. I ran a 5k while he was gone for the first time once. Things that will keep you focused on what you're doing, and not what you're missing.

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Shenanigans

Gone a lot? He was told that he'll be on deployment for 6-9 months once every 3 ish years...is that not true?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
Gone a lot? He was told that he'll be on deployment for 6-9 months once every 3 ish years...is that not true?
For deployments that is basically true..however during the time he is not, there are many times they are out on work-ups and can be gone for a month or so many times during the year.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Shenanigans

Oh lord. So I should prepare to be in a relationship with myself for a while hah. We're long distance already, so I'm used to not seeing him often, but I rely on the conversation. As long as we can e-mail or text, even skype, that's understandable.