NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
F.S.Richerson

F.S.Richerson is on a distinguished road
Default RPOC and other recruit leadership positions... what does it really entail?

The START guide talks about "assisting the RDC," implementing good order, etc. but what does an RPO position really involve and why do I not want to do it? (I think I saw Craig post that it's not a desirable position but I could be wrong)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Being an RPOC means that YOU are responsible in making sure everyone in your division gets to where they are to be on time, if they are late, YOU pay the price. If someone in your division gets in trouble, again, You generally will pay the price. If you are not good at getting others to do as they are told with out problems, I dont suggest it. being the RPOC makes you a stand out, now sometimes that is a good thing, and many times it isnt. My son was very happy when he went through his PIR and one of his RDC's actually asked him if he was in their division as they didnt remember him...which was a great thing considering how he started! He was the one that coudnt stop laughing!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Really hoping I don't get chosen for any of the division positions but a bit worried about my age making me stand out for something like that. It makes me wonder if RDCs look at info for the recruits and decide before hand or just do it on a whim once they are there. I look about 18 as long I shave and keep my hair short.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
F.S.Richerson

F.S.Richerson is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That was insightful, I wouldn't have thought of it that way. But are there any feasible rewards for all this presumably hard work?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

My husband wasn't your age when he went through boot, but he was older and much more mature than a lot of the guys in his division were. However, the positions are usually voluntary to begin with, after that (he said most of the first guys got fired), keep your head down, and do what you're told. Don't stand out - that's one of his biggest things of advice for boot camp. Make sure you don't stand out, and keep in mind that it's all one big mind f***. (those are the two things he tells me to tell anyone going through boot camp).

Sarah

Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

The only up side my son said was for someone that enlisted as an E1 or E2 and IF they could keep that job for the entire boot camp, they usually got promoted one rank up and/or made honor grad. But as said above, most get fired...
Go to this link and read each one, the only one my son said was good was Recruit Religious Petty Officers (RPO) (RPO3, but read about all of them.

http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/recruit_petty_officer.asp

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Religious PO is nice because almost all of them get a BZ at the end of bootcamp. However, as Religious PO, you will get up at 5:15 on Sundays (instead of 6:00), go to early chow, go to the chapel, and get back at about 10:30, meaning you only get 2 1/2 hours of Holiday Routine instead of 6, and you still have to eat somewhere in there. Our RPO's estimated that they got 80-90 minutes of Holiday Routine every week.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

RPOC and AROC are hard jobs and by taking them you will stand out. This means when things go wrong (and every now and then they WILL its unavoidable in bootcamp) you are responsible. Someone going to sick call got us a demerit chit, its your fault. A detail got the division a street hit, its your fault. You could be in a classroom at the time and not even been there but as RPOC it was your job to make sure they knew when and how to get there. On the other hand, if you keep the job to the end, they tend to get promoted to E2 or E3 if they do a good job. If you plan to apply to a commissioning program, it looks good on you assuming you haven't been in service very long, its helpful. You have to weigh the benefits vs the costs. and the costs are pretty heavy!

As a side note, some RDCs choose jobs based on arbitrary guidelines. RPOC might be someone with drill, marching, or ROTC experience; MAA tends to be the oldest recruit in the place, AROC might be chosen for having a good loud voice and rhythm. Those are especially true if your RDCs are big on drill and marching and looking good on the street.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
FormerMarine

FormerMarine is on a distinguished road
Default Question about jobs in bootcamp

Just received our first letter from my son in boot camp. He says that he is the RDC's runner and and gets supply's. Can anyone tell me what exactly my son's job entails and is it a good job to have as far as boot camp is concerned? He is already an E-3, is this a leadership role?

http://www.navydep.com/forums/images...%20Surbati.gif

Semper Fi
Rick
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
ctraggie

ctraggie is on a distinguished road

Rick, it sounds like your son's RDCs just ask your son to go out of the compartment to make copies, grab supplies from the other compartments, etc. It's not exactly a "leadership position" but by him being a "runner" he's probably gotten on the good side of the RDCs.

I was the "clicker" of my division, meaning I would click through all of the slide shows we had to sit through. I was appointed clicker because my RDCs knew I was hardworking, and that I wouldn't mess it up. Your son being the "runner" is probably a similar situation.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
FormerMarine

FormerMarine is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info ctraggie
Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
OldNavy

OldNavy is on a distinguished road
Default No future in always keeping your head down...

RE: RPOC...sorry to say it sounds like a few folks are destined for a career capped at E4. If you're afraid to take responsibility because it comes with some risk, you'll not make it above 3rd class...if you get that far. Better stick to folding clothes or chipping paint or cleaning berthing compartments...nice safe jobs there. Aircraft mechanic, electronics technician, ordinance, nukes....might be a bit beyond your reach young pups.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

This thread is from 2012.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread