NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > YN = YEOMAN

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Pharaohwolfie

Pharaohwolfie is on a distinguished road
Default Weed charge/secret clearance

I have a simple possession of marijuana charge. I was wondering if this would effect my chance of becoming a YN? I got it last year when I was in college. Now I've graduated with a sociology degree so I'll enter in as an e-3. How's advancement with this rate? All experiences would be appreciated.
Pharaohwolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaohwolfie View Post
I have a simple possession of marijuana charge. I was wondering if this would effect my chance of becoming a YN? I got it last year when I was in college. Now I've graduated with a sociology degree so I'll enter in as an e-3. How's advancement with this rate? All experiences would be appreciated.
At most right now you'll be pre-screened for a SECRET level clearance, which is pretty simple, but a clearance isn't required to do the majority of YN work. The only time you'll need clearance is if you do SSO work (aka clearance related paperwork for the command), for certain command duties at certain commands, or if you go YNSS or something. So even if you don't have clearance there is still plenty for you to do. If the charge was a few years ago, it was an isolated incident, and you've shown growth and maturity since then, I wouldn't sweat it. You're not the only guy who's touched weed as a teenager and still went on to have a career. Kids do dumb kid things.

At the moment YN is considered a "balanced" rate, which means they have the proper amount of people they need (not overmanned or undermanned). Advancement numbers into YN3 and YN2 look good right now and are ahead of the Navy average. So with you coming in at E3, that's good news for you!

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 05-23-2017 at 10:19 PM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
PropertyofBuMed
**Active Duty**

PropertyofBuMed has a spectacular aura about

You can technically get a top secret with a weed charge. As long as its not a moral offense, ie it was purely a minor possession charge.. Especially if its over 5 years old. They look at each case individually to determine if you have a ongoing drug problem that could be leveraged against you in some way, or be a physical threat to the safety of yourself or others. As ctt1 mentioned kids do dumb things...
PropertyofBuMed is offline   Reply With Quote