NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #251
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, that's making a bit more sense... since you have the 8201 NEC already, you'll only need AW(A1) "A" School, VP-30, and SERE. You'll also need to refresh on your water survival and helo-dunker stuff... but that can be done at NAS Jax or NAS Whidbey, depending on which reserve squadron they assign you to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Hey Haasino, I was curious if you were acoustic or non-acoustic? And if you can explain the differences in their duties. Thanks in advance.
I'm an Acoustic, NEC 7841. In a nutshell, Acoustics are trained to search for, localize, track, and attack submarines using sonobuoys... Non-Acoustics are trained to operate radar for safety of flight, weather avoidance, and Anti-Surface Warfare; they also have training in Electronics and Signals Intelligence collection.

With the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance community shifting to take on much more of an Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance role, both Acoustic and Non-Acoustic operators also delve into additional tasks that can't be discussed on an internet forum... it's pretty cool stuff though!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #252
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
they also have training in Electronics and Signals Intelligence collection.
...please.

;)

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #253
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
...please.

;)

/r
CTT1
I said training... didn't specify how much... or how little. :p

Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #254
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

I am now in AWF a-school. If anyone has any questions about how school works or living over here on the a school side of base, ask away!
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #255
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
I am now in AWF a-school. If anyone has any questions about how school works or living over here on the a school side of base, ask away!
Lol you just might find yourself over here in TACAMO when you get your first command

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #256
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Right now the only people guaranteed TACAMO are the 4 AWS2's going though our class. Other than that, the F class before mine got a bunch of different aircrafts
Old 11-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #257
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right now the only people guaranteed TACAMO are the 4 AWS2's going though our class. Other than that, the F class before mine got a bunch of different aircrafts
That's a shocker. We've been trying to snag a lot of Fs lately. Maybe they finally got enough in the pipeline for us for now. Consider yourself lucky lmao

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #258
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

In the last class, there were mostly c-2s some p-3s, c-130s, and like 3 c-12s
Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #259
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In the last class, there were mostly c-2s some p-3s, c-130s, and like 3 c-12s
NavyGirl, if you're active duty then please have your account verified by Guppy.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #260
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

How do I do that??
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #261
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
How do I do that??
Message Guppy and she can verify you. If you see any of her posts she also provides a link there.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #262
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

Graduating O school this friday. Then home to Whidbey. Im a reservist. This whole experience has been amazing. I had a great time here and in school. AWO1 Bowie and AWO1 Eller are the best instructors. If your lucky enough to get either of them you'll be doing great. Any questions that anyone has for me go ahead and ask
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #263
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Nice, man... congrats! Eller was in my current squadron before taking A School orders; he taught me some great stuff as an upgrader. Any word on when they're sending you to VP-30 or SERE?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #264
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping for NavyWife160

/r
CTT1
Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #265
Navywife160

Navywife160 is on a distinguished road
Default A school

My Husband is on his 4th day of bootcamp.
He went in as a AW
From what I understand he will choose his specific job at ACC school.
Can you explain what ACC school is?
Navywife160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #266
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navywife160 View Post
My Husband is on his 4th day of bootcamp.
He went in as a AW
From what I understand he will choose his specific job at ACC school.
Can you explain what ACC school is?
Welcome!

Naval Aircrew Candidate School (NACCS) is a 3-week training course consisting of physical training, water survival, and flight physiology courses. I could go into detail about it, but this thread, and this video will cover more than enough information for you...

Prior to the last week of NACCS (After Hell Week), he will be able to list his preference of AWO, AWV, or AWF in order from 1-3; the instructors will then determine what rates are needed at the moment, and assign as necessary. With the current transition and reshaping of Naval aviation, he's most likely to get AWO... though AWF and AWV do still come out.

From NACCS, he'll go on to his respective "A" School, where he'll choose his sub-billet and aircraft type before continuing on to his Fleet Replacement Squadron and SERE before reporting to his initial command. In total, he'll probably be in training commands for ~2 years, and you'll be able to live with him at his FRS when he reports there in ~8-12 months.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #267
Navywife160

Quote:
Welcome!

Naval Aircrew Candidate School (NACCS) is a 3-week training course consisting of physical training, water survival, and flight physiology courses. I could go into detail about it, but this thread, and this video will cover more than enough information for you...

Prior to the last week of NACCS (After Hell Week), he will be able to list his preference of AWO, AWV, or AWF in order from 1-3; the instructors will then determine what rates are needed at the moment, and assign as necessary. With the current transition and reshaping of Naval aviation, he's most likely to get AWO... though AWF and AWV do still come out.

From NACCS, he'll go on to his respective "A" School, where he'll choose his sub-billet and aircraft type before continuing on to his Fleet Replacement Squadron and SERE before reporting to his initial command. In total, he'll probably be in training commands for ~2 years, and you'll be able to live with him at his FRS when he reports there in ~8-12 months.
Thank yo sooo much for your in depth answer! Im new to this so Im unfamiliar with the Navy terminology.
What do you mean when you say they will need to check ratings when he goes to pick his job?
So more than likely he will be assigned a job rather than choosing one?
I thought Hell week was in RTC bootcamp?
Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #268
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Thank yo sooo much for your in depth answer! Im new to this so Im unfamiliar with the Navy terminology.
What do you mean when you say they will need to check ratings when he goes to pick his job?
So more than likely he will be assigned a job rather than choosing one?
I thought Hell week was in RTC bootcamp?
They have to check and see what Aircrew ratings are in demand for the week that your husband's class is graduating... one week might be entirely AWO; the next week entirely AWV and AWF, etc... And you are correct... he will essentially be assigned a job. When I gave my list, it was AWV, AWO, and AWF... my classmate put AWO, AWV, and AWF... I got AWO, and she got AWV. In retrospect, I'm glad... but just goes to show they kinda assign at random even when the options are available.

Everyone likes to have a "Hell Week"... RTC Hell Week is Disneyland compared to NACCS... which is Disneyland compared to Rescue Swimmer School... which is Disneyland compared to BUDS, lol.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #269
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Haas,

What can I expect for Hell Week at NACCS? I report in next week, I'll have that week long indoc, and then into class I go.

Thoughts?

/r
CTT1
Old 11-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #270
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Haas,

What can I expect for Hell Week at NACCS? I report in next week, I'll have that week long indoc, and then into class I go.

Thoughts?

/r
CTT1
As a Fleet Returnee, you'll avoid most/all of the backlog and watches that recruits from RTC deal with. You'll start Week 1 with INDOC, which will be classroom as well as a PRT and Class II swim test. If you don't pass the swim test or PRT (Which requires 100% perfect form on push-ups and sit-ups), you'll go on Swim or PT Hold until you do. From there, you'll jump into the next available class and start Week 2, which is "Hell Week". I'm told the cirriculum has shifted slightly toward the easy side... but as of Feb/Mar 2013, this is what it looked like:

Thursday was "Shock & Awe" day - we did 2 stress-sets, followed by a 3mi formation run, followed by a 3rd stress-set... all the while there were about 15 instructors ranging from PO2s to Marine SSgts and Senior Chiefs screaming at you and telling you you're a piece of shit, that you should just DOR (Drop On Request), that they're not gonna let you graduate anyway, etc. They're just trying to weed out the weak ones, and it worked on 2 candidates. This is also the day they make their judgments on whether or not they want to see you graduate in 3 weeks... if they don't like you, you'll become their Pvt. Pyle and they'll do what they can to make sure you don't make it to graduation. The key is to show determination... watch the instructor leading the PT and, when one walks past you, look at them and sound off loud and proud... they seemed to swarm the ones who were quiet, struggling, or afraid to make eye-contact.

Friday was a 5mi formation run at about an 8min/mi pace... we noticed the attitude from our instructors went from demeaning, to motivating now that "shock & awe" was over. Then, after lunch, we went to the pool and did our WS-3 and WS-4, which was 2min tread/5min float in swimsuit, then again in flightsuit and boots. After that we did a 15min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Monday we went down to the seawall and did the equivalent of 3 stress-sets, with 200m sprints between... then the WS-5 after lunch, which was 2min tread/6min float in flightsuit, boots, gloves, and vest. After that we did a 20min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Tuesday we went to the Aircrew track and did 3 stress-sets, with 2 laps in-between which were timed... then the WS-6 after lunch, which was 2min tread/7min float in flightsuit, boots, gloves, vest, and helmet. After that we did a 25min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Wednesday we did another 2 stress-sets, followed by a slightly slower 4mi formation run... then the WS-7 after lunch, which was jumping off the tower in flightsuit and boots, and swimming submerged for ~25m without any part of your body breaking the surface. Then we did some synchronized swimming where they taught us how to flail our arms and swim through burning surface oil/debris.

Thursday we watched a few episodes of "The Pacific" with the graduating class, while everyone shock & awed the new class outside... then the WS-8 after lunch, which was a 100m swim in flightsuit, boots, gloves, vest, and helmet... followed by demonstration of the 4 ways to use your clothes as a flotation device.

Friday wrapped-up Hell Week with the 1mi confidence swim in the morning, followed by liberty at 1100... easy day. Most annoying part of the mile swim was fighting boredom, and getting kicked by other people in your lane.

Week 3 is "Disney Week" because you do the low-pressure chamber, the helo dunker, parachute training, and low light/night vision training.

Week 4 is another PRT where you have to score at least a Good in every category, then flight gear issue, CPR training, and graduation.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #271
Navywife160

Quote:
They have to check and see what Aircrew ratings are in demand for the week that your husband's class is graduating... one week might be entirely AWO; the next week entirely AWV and AWF, etc... And you are correct... he will essentially be assigned a job. When I gave my list, it was AWV, AWO, and AWF... my classmate put AWO, AWV, and AWF... I got AWO, and she got AWV. In retrospect, I'm glad... but just goes to show they kinda assign at random even when the options are available.

Everyone likes to have a "Hell Week"... RTC Hell Week is Disneyland compared to NACCS... which is Disneyland compared to Rescue Swimmer School... which is Disneyland compared to BUDS, lol.
So thats your Job your an AWO? Can you ever be reassigned your job throughout your tour?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #272
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

I'll give you guys an update on what NACCS does...
You start indoc the first Monday you are there. On the Tuesday of indoc, you will do the second class swim test which has to be done with perfect form or you get out into swim hold, on the Friday of indoc you will do your PST in, which is to see where you are. If you don't pass the "in" scores which is the passing score from bootcamp, you will be in pt hold. Then after indoc, most people are in hold for about one week until they actually class up. It's called backlog. People are in there waiting to be classed up, waiting for orders to leave for a school, people on security hold, and people who got dropped from aircrew waiting on new rates.
You will find out you got classed up on Thursday and you will meet with your class on the next day, Friday. This is where you will get to know your instructors. Andif I remember correctly, you will take the second class swim test again. Monday starts the real fun.

Week 1: I wouldn't consider it "hell week" but maybe just hell days. Like the first two days. You do like 3-4 stress sets in the morning, and in the afternoon you will go to the pool. You will get a brief before each swimming evolution and gradually add more gear. Starting in just swim suits and ending in a flight suit, boots, a flight vest, gloves and a helmet. If you are comfortable in the water you will be fine. Just don't freak out and remember the helmet floats. Week one ends with the mile swim on Friday. In the afternoons, you will have lessons taught to you by your instructor. Oh and on Thursday you will go on a 4 mile run with the grad class and backlog.

Week 2: Disney week. Mainly all of the hard stuff is over by now. You might have a couple stress sets on Monday morning to show the new class how it's done. (I didn't because I had a short week the week before and they didn't class anyone up). We did workout then, wasn't too hard. But this week is more classroom learning. The hardest part is staying awake. If you are non rescue swimmer, this is where you will find out if you will be fixed wing or dry AWS. This week is a lot more fun for fixed wing people because you get to go on the "rides". You will learn how to operate a parachute and how to fix any problems with it, some on land, some in the water. You will have class in the morning, and practical application in the afternoon. We did the in water parachute training on Wednesday and helo dunker training and the dunker on Thursday. After we did the dunker, we went through how to use a raft, what to do when we are rescued, ect. Friday is the PST out. You need 'good' scores to graduate NACCS. And yes, if you fail, you will get put into pt hold. I saw it happen.

Week 3: Congrats! It's graduation week! Monday is more classroom lectures. Tuesday is Tom Cruise Tuesday! This is where you will get issued all your flight gear in the morning, and learn how to wear and care for it in the afternoon. Wednesday morning you will play team sports with backlog and in the afternoon you will do graduation practice. Thursday is the big day! You will put on your fancy graduation shirts and lead a 4 mile run with your class, week 1 class and backlog. I had the pleasure of the rescue swimmer school join us because they had nothing else to do. After you get back you will do a couple stress sets with everyone and then go shower and put on your flight suit for the first time! You graduate around 10 in the morning. Just make sure the Aircrewman's Creed is nice and loud. Following graduation, you will change and then have graduation liberty. On Friday you will be back in backlog.

After you graduate you will be on grad hold waiting for orders. I was on grad hold for 4 weeks. During this time they will hold a grad meeting where you will make your wish list. To kind of put in perspective, we had the grad meeting on a Tuesday, I found out Wednesday I was leaving Thursday. It can happen really fast, or you could find out you are leaving in weeks. Just be ready.

This timeline might not be perfect because I had a short week during my class so events might be on different days when you will go through.

Good luck and Hooyah Aircrew!!

Last edited by NavyGirl2015; 11-15-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #273
Navywife160

Quote:
As a Fleet Returnee, you'll avoid most/all of the backlog and watches that recruits from RTC deal with. You'll start Week 1 with INDOC, which will be classroom as well as a PRT and Class II swim test. If you don't pass the swim test or PRT (Which requires 100% perfect form on push-ups and sit-ups), you'll go on Swim or PT Hold until you do. From there, you'll jump into the next available class and start Week 2, which is "Hell Week". I'm told the cirriculum has shifted slightly toward the easy side... but as of Feb/Mar 2013, this is what it looked like:

Thursday was "Shock & Awe" day - we did 2 stress-sets, followed by a 3mi formation run, followed by a 3rd stress-set... all the while there were about 15 instructors ranging from PO2s to Marine SSgts and Senior Chiefs screaming at you and telling you you're a piece of shit, that you should just DOR (Drop On Request), that they're not gonna let you graduate anyway, etc. They're just trying to weed out the weak ones, and it worked on 2 candidates. This is also the day they make their judgments on whether or not they want to see you graduate in 3 weeks... if they don't like you, you'll become their Pvt. Pyle and they'll do what they can to make sure you don't make it to graduation. The key is to show determination... watch the instructor leading the PT and, when one walks past you, look at them and sound off loud and proud... they seemed to swarm the ones who were quiet, struggling, or afraid to make eye-contact.

Friday was a 5mi formation run at about an 8min/mi pace... we noticed the attitude from our instructors went from demeaning, to motivating now that "shock & awe" was over. Then, after lunch, we went to the pool and did our WS-3 and WS-4, which was 2min tread/5min float in swimsuit, then again in flightsuit and boots. After that we did a 15min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Monday we went down to the seawall and did the equivalent of 3 stress-sets, with 200m sprints between... then the WS-5 after lunch, which was 2min tread/6min float in flightsuit, boots, gloves, and vest. After that we did a 20min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Tuesday we went to the Aircrew track and did 3 stress-sets, with 2 laps in-between which were timed... then the WS-6 after lunch, which was 2min tread/7min float in flightsuit, boots, gloves, vest, and helmet. After that we did a 25min endurance swim in flightsuit and boots.

Wednesday we did another 2 stress-sets, followed by a slightly slower 4mi formation run... then the WS-7 after lunch, which was jumping off the tower in flightsuit and boots, and swimming submerged for ~25m without any part of your body breaking the surface. Then we did some synchronized swimming where they taught us how to flail our arms and swim through burning surface oil/debris.

Thursday we watched a few episodes of "The Pacific" with the graduating class, while everyone shock & awed the new class outside... then the WS-8 after lunch, which was a 100m swim in flightsuit, boots, gloves, vest, and helmet... followed by demonstration of the 4 ways to use your clothes as a flotation device.

Friday wrapped-up Hell Week with the 1mi confidence swim in the morning, followed by liberty at 1100... easy day. Most annoying part of the mile swim was fighting boredom, and getting kicked by other people in your lane.

Week 3 is "Disney Week" because you do the low-pressure chamber, the helo dunker, parachute training, and low light/night vision training.

Week 4 is another PRT where you have to score at least a Good in every category, then flight gear issue, CPR training, and graduation.
What happends if you DOR or if you just dont make it?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #274
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

You will be re-rated. Most people right now are getting a-pact. Which is undesignated airman. You will be at the needs of the navy when you get to your squadron.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #275
Navywife160

Quote:
You will be re-rated. Most people right now are getting a-pact. Which is undesignated airman. You will be at the needs of the navy when you get to your squadron.
Does that mean they can put him whereever they choose?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #276
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Does that mean they can put him whereever they choose?
Yes, often to a ship that's about to deploy since they often need personnel... you may get to request a coast (East Coast vs. West Coast), but I often saw it ignored.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #277
Navywife160

Quote:
Yes, often to a ship that's about to deploy since they often need personnel... you may get to request a coast (East Coast vs. West Coast), but I often saw it ignored.
What would he most likely be doing on the ship if that was the case?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #278
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Haas,

Thanks for the insight man, I appreciate it. I check in on Wednesday but will be there by tomorrow. Taking tomorrow and Tuesday to get acclimated to NAS (never went there when I was at Corry) and work out some.

Ready to get this shit started already haha Plus the last few years at NIOC destroyed my PT, so I'm looking forward to an ass kicking for a bit.

When you say stress set though, what's that actually encompass?

/r
CTT1
Old 11-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #279
Haasino
**Active Duty**

It'll be a set consisting of several different exercises... wide-arm push-ups, crunchs, flutter-kicks, standard push-ups, in-outs, burpees, diamond-grip push-ups. That would be one set... usually with about 15-30 reps for each... and you'd do 3-4 sets before going for a ~3mi run.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #280
J.Morales

J.Morales is on a distinguished road
Default Selected for Orders

Hey guys, hoping an aircrooman can help. I just got Selected for some AWO2 orders. No clue as to what they do. Here's what I found on Google:

COMSUBLANT's job as Commander Task Force 84 is to effectively employ and improve the combat capability of Atlantic Fleet submarines and ASW forces afloat while simultaneously increasing the efficiency of operations ashore. T-AGOS ships are operated by the Military Sealift Command and are under the administrative command of Commander, Undersea Surveillance. They are deployed under the Operational Control (OPCON) of the Theater ASW Commanders, CTF 84 and CTF 12. Civilian technicians who operate and maintain the mission equipment man the SURTASS Operations Center (SOC), the nerve center of the ship. When operating with tactical forces, military detachments are embarked for onboard analysis and direct reporting to fleet units.

So yeah, what am I gonna be doing there? (Attached is the screenshot of the email I received from CMSID)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orders.jpg (40.7 KB, 13 views)
J.Morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #281
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nice, man... congrats! Eller was in my current squadron before taking A School orders; he taught me some great stuff as an upgrader. Any word on when they're sending you to VP-30 or SERE?
Glad that you know him and that he did good things for you. We were his first real class i guess. And he nailed it. No drops and we took on two rolls.

not sure when they are goiing to send me.I have to get gained by the NOSC first then on my first drill weekend start putting in for AWO billets. THEN, whoever picks me up has to fund my going back to Jax. Fun stuff huh? I miss my flight suit.....
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #282
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Morales View Post
Hey guys, hoping an aircrooman can help. I just got Selected for some AWO2 orders. No clue as to what they do. Here's what I found on Google:

COMSUBLANT's job as Commander Task Force 84 is to effectively employ and improve the combat capability of Atlantic Fleet submarines and ASW forces afloat while simultaneously increasing the efficiency of operations ashore. T-AGOS ships are operated by the Military Sealift Command and are under the administrative command of Commander, Undersea Surveillance. They are deployed under the Operational Control (OPCON) of the Theater ASW Commanders, CTF 84 and CTF 12. Civilian technicians who operate and maintain the mission equipment man the SURTASS Operations Center (SOC), the nerve center of the ship. When operating with tactical forces, military detachments are embarked for onboard analysis and direct reporting to fleet units.

So yeah, what am I gonna be doing there? (Attached is the screenshot of the email I received from CMSID)
Do you know where you're going? If it's in Virginia, then I might know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid.life View Post
Glad that you know him and that he did good things for you. We were his first real class i guess. And he nailed it. No drops and we took on two rolls.

not sure when they are goiing to send me.I have to get gained by the NOSC first then on my first drill weekend start putting in for AWO billets. THEN, whoever picks me up has to fund my going back to Jax. Fun stuff huh? I miss my flight suit.....
Nice, man... keep us posted!

Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #283
Diverdee90

Diverdee90 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy PT hold

Ok Haasino quick question, is there a limit to how long they are on hold for PT? Or how many chances they get? My son has passed everything except the stinking push-ups needs to start Candidate school... Any tips for passing them? This momma is feeling sad, he is working his butt off and wants this so bad, would hate to see him have to rerate
Diverdee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #284
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdee90 View Post
Ok Haasino quick question, is there a limit to how long they are on hold for PT? Or how many chances they get? My son has passed everything except the stinking push-ups needs to start Candidate school... Any tips for passing them? This momma is feeling sad, he is working his butt off and wants this so bad, would hate to see him have to rerate
It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #285
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #286
J.Morales

J.Morales is on a distinguished road

CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach
J.Morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #287
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?
I'm not sure exactly what their duties would be, but the only ones flying in HM squadrons will be the pilots and AWS'... she'll most likely be servicing the mine countermeasure equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Morales View Post
CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach
Hmm... I've got a few guesses, but nothing I want to discuss on open forum. Most likely your role is going to be "analyst"...

Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #288
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #289
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.
Right on! We'll probably cross paths at some point in Whidbey.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #290
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #291
Diverdee90

Quote:
It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

Forgot to update you, my son passed the push ups the week after Thanksgiving so now waiting for Holiday shut down then should start Candidate school.... Yay cant wait
Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #292
Diverdee90

Default AWV

So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #293
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdee90 View Post
So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks
Per Naval Personnel Command:

Aircrewman Avionics (AWV): In-Flight technician/trouble shooter on board P-3C, EP-3 and E-6B aircraft. Maintains and trouble shoots all avionics equipment while in flight. Operates communication systems and electronic warfare equipment onboard E-6B and EP-3 aircraft. Operates UAS and UAS payloads. Operates and maintains tactical support center systems at shore installations and tactical mobile systems in expeditionary MTOC units.

That being said, it really comes down to where he ends up getting stationed. AWV's working on E-6B's, for example, will do a totally different job than the guys I fly with. But that little blurb covers the basics of what's possible for them and what platforms you're gonna find them on.

I'm sure AWO2 will also have some input.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #294
Haasino
**Active Duty**

The NPC blurb CTT1 posted pretty much sums it up... though the UAS (drone) and TSC/MTOC part is incorrect; those are both AWO shore duty billets now. The E-6B is the only platform intended to be around past 2020, and there's currently a push to get AWF's and AWV's into the TACAMO squadrons out in Oklahoma, so his best chance it to get orders there. Otherwise, he might get orders to VQ-1 as an IFT or Electronic Warfare Operator... or he may be in one of the last classes of P-3 IFT to come out of Fleet Replacement training. Hopefully he doesn't get the latter, because that would mean he'll be lucky to make 2 years in his squadron before going back to learn a new job.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #295
Diverdee90

Getting used to this Navy thing where things are always changing... My son did not get AWV he is AWF, started INDOC yesterday and then just waiting to class up... I'm assuming from Hassino's reply he will probably end up in Oklahoma? Just curious.... He is excited for AWF, it was his first choice he said, sorry for my post before that he would be AWV....
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #296
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Most likely a TACAMO flight engineer in Oklahoma, or a Greyhound loadmaster out of Norfolk or San Diego... possibly a P-3/EP-3 flight engineer, but hopefully not as the sunset of the P-3 Orion is visible on the horizon at this point.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #297
E_Storey

E_Storey is on a distinguished road

Do I have to qualify while I'm in the DEP program in order to go to AWRSS?
E_Storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #298
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Storey View Post
Qualify medically you mean? Oooorrrrr?
(I'm also Aircrew, just as a CT)

/r
CTT1
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #299
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Storey View Post
If you're talking about getting an AIRR contract (Rescue Swimmer) then yes you should be required to past a PST (spec war PT test) before being awarded that contract.

AWR is considered part of the Spec War/Challenge programs. Talk with your recruiter about it and they can give you the in's and out's. Usually there is a Spec War motivator in your area that can help with the PT and administer the test.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #300
Haasino
**Active Duty**