NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
199nein

199nein is on a distinguished road
Default Stay enlisted or go officer? Also ELT...

I'm just curious about everyones opinion about staying enlisted vs going officer. At this point in time, I'm considering staying enlisted, though I have been told I would be highly competitive when applying for STA 21. I've heard people say that if you wanna stay in for the full 20 or more, then do enlisted, but if you plan on getting out before the 20 is up go for officer. I remember reading that if you don't make a new rank as an officer every 3 years or so your career is over for all intents and purposes, where as staying enlisted for the full 20 (or more) is much more doable. Also, there is the fact that enlisted nukes get reenlistment bonuses which really do add up and make the pay gap between enlisted vs officer negligible.

How much of what I've heard is bullshit, and how much is true? Anyone have any opinions about this?

Also, I know what MMs, EMs, and ETs do, but what about ELT? I know I would have to be a MM then qualify in order to become an ELT, but what is it that they actually do? Is it worth it? I'm currently waffling on trying to become an ELT or if I should just stick to asking for ET.

Any and all input on these topics would be greatly appreciated.
199nein is offline   Reply With Quote