NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Drew1996

Drew1996 is on a distinguished road
Default RTC Uniforms

When we get issued our uniforms at RTC do we get sized for them or are there general sizes we get?
Drew1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be measured for uniforms, and then given whatever fits you best off the rack. Your dress uniform trousers will be hemmed to length. I don't remember anything else being tailored.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

How does getting fitted for boots work?
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
How does getting fitted for boots work?
Just like getting size for any other footwear haha They take your size and give you a pair of boots!

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Just like getting size for any other footwear haha They take your size and give you a pair of boots!

/r
CTT1
That's a little unsettling I have three pairs of combat boots with radically different sizes that fit the same.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

You put your sock foot in a shoe sizer and they tell you what size your foot is. >_>

You're going to try them on, so if they don't fit you can try another pair. And they will tell you, DO speak up if they don't fit! Lots of recruits before you have decided to just suffer in silence, and suffer they do.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Toxickiba

Toxickiba is on a distinguished road

As for foot wear, it gets really painful quick if your boots don't fit right. A good idea to remember is a good fit has about a half thumb between toes and boot top. leaves room for foot swelling and running.

I highly doubt we'd have access to it in RTC, so maybe this would work in A school but a trick I use and learned from NJROTC was Super Glue. Put it on your skin where you get blisters and let it dry. Put on socks and boots and bam! no blisters
Toxickiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

How much do the uniforms/boots/running shoes cost total? Does the clothing allowance cover it all?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
How much do the uniforms/boots/running shoes cost total? Does the clothing allowance cover it all?
Yes. I don't know why people worry so much about what things cost at boot. The initial clothing allowance is calculated to cover your whole seabag, so it's effectively like they give it to you for free: They give you the money to buy it, then they take the money and give you the items. It's all just numbers in DFAS.

No, you're not going to be able to use superglue on your feet at RTC. You can try wearing two pair of socks, but do so knowing that you will suffer if you're caught. If you're still getting blisters by the time you hit A school, you're doing something wrong, and you probably just need to let your feet toughen up rather than pampering them.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road

My concern is less that they'll be covered, but that they'll take the money for items before the arrival of my clothing allowance. I have civilian bills to pay (student loan, car payment, etc.) and I'd hate to get behind on something while in boot =/
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich313 View Post
My concern is less that they'll be covered, but that they'll take the money for items before the arrival of my clothing allowance. I have civilian bills to pay (student loan, car payment, etc.) and I'd hate to get behind on something while in boot =/
You'll never see the money anyway and you won't know the difference. I've never heard of anyone having an issue due to clothing issue at boot. It's basically paid for by the Navy, not you. So don't worry; you will still get your regular paycheck.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

They will take money out of your check to cover your non-uniform items. Toiletries, backpack, nex gift card, etc. will all come out of your first check. I do not know how much it is exactly as it's been a while.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Yes. I don't know why people worry so much about what things cost at boot. The initial clothing allowance is calculated to cover your whole seabag, so it's effectively like they give it to you for free: They give you the money to buy it, then they take the money and give you the items. It's all just numbers in DFAS.

No, you're not going to be able to use superglue on your feet at RTC. You can try wearing two pair of socks, but do so knowing that you will suffer if you're caught. If you're still getting blisters by the time you hit A school, you're doing something wrong, and you probably just need to let your feet toughen up rather than pampering them.
The best way to prevent blisters is to tie your boots TIGHT. As much as it may be painful for the first week or so you won't get blisters. Trust me, that's what I did.

Don't double up on socks either. If it get's that bad go to medical. You'll get a tennis shoe chit.

I personally didn't go to medical for that.

If they're tied tight it doesn't allow for your feet to move around in the boot which is what causes blisters.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
It depends. It costs more for females than it does males because we get more clothing items.

It's not that much more, but there is a difference. You'll get a copy of your LES and it will tell you exactly how much money is taken out for the clothing and ditty bag issue.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxickiba View Post
As for foot wear, it gets really painful quick if your boots don't fit right. A good idea to remember is a good fit has about a half thumb between toes and boot top. leaves room for foot swelling and running.

I highly doubt we'd have access to it in RTC, so maybe this would work in A school but a trick I use and learned from NJROTC was Super Glue. Put it on your skin where you get blisters and let it dry. Put on socks and boots and bam! no blisters
They will give you mole skin at medical your first week there. I don't know if it helps, I never had to use it.