NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Chevrons21

Chevrons21 is on a distinguished road
Default RC to AC program in A school

Hello everyone,

So I talked to the recruiters a few days ago and had told them I wanted to enlist as active duty. They told me they could take me in as an IT but first I'd have to go Reserves. After I go through A-School, under RC to AC program I will then be turned over to Active component.
I was told there's virtually no chance that I won't be denied to go active after A-school but I am so looking forward to go active duty that I can't help but wonder.

Any IT's out there that are currently in A-school or have come across someone in A-school that have gone through this program? Or even better someone that have gone through this program themselves. I would be interested your story, how the program works or any problems that you came across. I'd very much appreciate it.
Chevrons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

There are always exceptions to everything in the Navy, but just did a quick check on RC to AC and they’re only taking ITS as far as IT rating goes. And those have to be in later year groups like 2009. So, from a cursory glance at RC to AC it looks like there’s virtually no way they’d convert you over. But, there are always exceptions. Good luck!

Here’s the RC to AC quotas chart thingamajig:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...pdateFY17.xlsx
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Barbazu

One thing to consider is that just because you may not be able to switch over to AC doesn’t mean you’re out of luck. There are tons of mobilization options in the reserve. You could finish up A school, get to your command, notify your CoC that you are interested in mobilizing, then volunteer to mob. You get some choices of where you go or you can roll the dice and see where the Navy sends you. You have lots of options in the reserve.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Chevrons21

Let's say that I do luck out and that my recruiters took that extra mile to get me that possibility of an exception. You think it's possible that it would be part of my contract heading to A-school? The way it sounded to me was: "we'll get you to A-school as an IT. Ones you get there, there's this program.. good luck."

Anyways I am sort of prepping for what happens when I do end up in reserves. So thanks for the great info there. Good to hear about mobilizations.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Barbazu

Your contract will no doubt have you going to Corry Station for IT A school. But the RC to AC will not be in your contract. They are calling it a “program” but it’s hardly that. It’s more like an option you can try. Some folks I’ve know that have tried were never able to. The problem is that there are limited slots available and hundreds of people trying to fill them. That’s not to say it’s impossible - just highly improbable. Junior enlisted sailors are at the bottom of the list for these kinds of options. Unless you’re in a critical rate the odds are bad. Really bad. Being an IT, you’ll be in some sort of secret squirrel unit, probably. Even on the reserve side they have a specific mission. Mobs for spooks are a little different than mobs for the rest of us, but you’ll have options.
Your recruiters have quotas. They have a certain amount of AC, and a certain amount of RC they need to recruit per month. Sounds like you’re a victim of quotas. But you still have a ton of flexibility in the reserve. After the initial shock of going from A school to a reserve unit you’ll love it.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
wishbone

wishbone is on a distinguished road

I noticed that you are prior military. Are they telling you that you have to go reserves because of some age (or other limitation) of going active? If that's not the case, I'd speak to a different recruiting office. Is IT the rate you want?

Being in the reserves myself, I would NOT count on any guaranteed RC to AC. Things change quickly and it'll be some time before you make it all the way through the program. However, as someone has already mentioned, ITs are generally in demand. If you don't volunteer for a mobilization you'll probably be tagged soon enough. IT support is pretty universally needed across the fleet. The nice thing about the reserves is that you get a lot more choice (unless they non-voluntary mobilize you) than you might active duty.

With that said, if AD is what you want and there's no restrictions from you going that direction, I encourage you to hold out for that. The reserves has it's positive aspects but isn't great for someone looking to jump start a career. It may take some time before the Navy can offer you ADSW or Mob orders of some kind and that can be highly dependent on your unit and their ability to make that happen. If you do end up going reserves keep in mind that it is nothing like AD (if you have prior experience) and you will pretty much be on your own to make stuff happen most of the time.

goodluck!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Chevrons21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
Your contract will no doubt have you going to Corry Station for IT A school. But the RC to AC will not be in your contract. They are calling it a “program” but it’s hardly that. It’s more like an option you can try. Some folks I’ve know that have tried were never able to. The problem is that there are limited slots available and hundreds of people trying to fill them. That’s not to say it’s impossible - just highly improbable. Junior enlisted sailors are at the bottom of the list for these kinds of options. Unless you’re in a critical rate the odds are bad. Really bad. Being an IT, you’ll be in some sort of secret squirrel unit, probably. Even on the reserve side they have a specific mission. Mobs for spooks are a little different than mobs for the rest of us, but you’ll have options.
Your recruiters have quotas. They have a certain amount of AC, and a certain amount of RC they need to recruit per month. Sounds like you’re a victim of quotas. But you still have a ton of flexibility in the reserve. After the initial shock of going from A school to a reserve unit you’ll love it.

Okay. Thank you very much for this insight. This is exactly what I am looking for since I already knew (just a gut feeling) that they weren't laying everything out.
I honestly am excited to go in as an IT. So even though it already sounded like a hot billet (or part of their quota that they really needed to fill) I am definitely wanting to go. Just the part of how I am going to go to AD is what worried me. With the odds that you're describing I'm willing to take that chance. Plus sounds like reserves isn't too bad either. Plus plus getting recruited as a prior is starting to be more of a pain than I expected lol.

"They have a certain amount of AC, and a certain amount of RC they need to recruit per month."

That doesn't sound too bad considering I don't expect to leave in the next couple of months. That would be nice though. Hopefully it shifts to my favor with regards to RC to AC.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Chevrons21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I noticed that you are prior military. Are they telling you that you have to go reserves because of some age (or other limitation) of going active? If that's not the case, I'd speak to a different recruiting office. Is IT the rate you want?

Being in the reserves myself, I would NOT count on any guaranteed RC to AC. Things change quickly and it'll be some time before you make it all the way through the program. However, as someone has already mentioned, ITs are generally in demand. If you don't volunteer for a mobilization you'll probably be tagged soon enough. IT support is pretty universally needed across the fleet. The nice thing about the reserves is that you get a lot more choice (unless they non-voluntary mobilize you) than you might active duty.

With that said, if AD is what you want and there's no restrictions from you going that direction, I encourage you to hold out for that. The reserves has it's positive aspects but isn't great for someone looking to jump start a career. It may take some time before the Navy can offer you ADSW or Mob orders of some kind and that can be highly dependent on your unit and their ability to make that happen. If you do end up going reserves keep in mind that it is nothing like AD (if you have prior experience) and you will pretty much be on your own to make stuff happen most of the time.

goodluck!
Yeah I was prior service for 10.5 years. No they never told me about any restrictions. It was just a plain "you want to go back active duty as a prior? you need to go reserves first." I guess if anything that's what I thought might be the case. Never realized being prior service could be this hard. I went into their office with an open mind. I willing to look for any rate that sounded good to me. The first thing that they tossed to me was MA and IT. It was a rate I wanted when I first enlisted but my ASVAB wasn't high enough. I retook ASVAB. I guess now I can make the cut, so I just went with it. Told me that's the only rates that are open anyways. (probably not true) lol
Mind you at this point I have gone thru quite a bit of recruiters including a few other Navy, ANG, Army reserves recruiters. So it felt like I was catching a lucky break finally finding someone that would work with me.
No I don't have any dirt in my closet (ie DUI, domestic violence), RE-R1 reenlistment code, Honorably discharged.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
wishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrons21 View Post
Yeah I was prior service for 10.5 years. No they never told me about any restrictions. It was just a plain "you want to go back active duty as a prior? you need to go reserves first." I guess if anything that's what I thought might be the case. Never realized being prior service could be this hard. I went into their office with an open mind. I willing to look for any rate that sounded good to me. The first thing that they tossed to me was MA and IT. It was a rate I wanted when I first enlisted but my ASVAB wasn't high enough. I retook ASVAB. I guess now I can make the cut, so I just went with it. Told me that's the only rates that are open anyways. (probably not true) lol
Mind you at this point I have gone thru quite a bit of recruiters including a few other Navy, ANG, Army reserves recruiters. So it felt like I was catching a lucky break finally finding someone that would work with me.
No I don't have any dirt in my closet (ie DUI, domestic violence), RE-R1 reenlistment code, Honorably discharged.
I'm guessing you probably already checked this out:
https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to...rance-programs

Since you're prior, you probably know this, but I wouldn't expect any guaranteed rate until it was signed at MEPS. When I got there I had to argue and get my recruiter involved after they tried to make me sign as something else.

The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process. (there's always an exception process). IT A school isn't bad gig. I like Corry Station and you end up with civilian certifications from the school. The biggest issue I see with joining the Navy Reserve as an IT is the lack of C school. Generally the Navy does't want to pay for additional schooling for reservists. If they won't give you one you may be more limited to your opportunities, but you'd need to speak to an IT more about that.

Anyway, I know your original question was about RC to AC. We've had some do that with success in our units (CT,IS,IT), but it tends to be pretty rare. I wouldn't believe anything that wasn't in writing before joining.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Chevrons21

Quote:
I'm guessing you probably already checked this out:
https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to...rance-programs

Since you're prior, you probably know this, but I wouldn't expect any guaranteed rate until it was signed at MEPS. When I got there I had to argue and get my recruiter involved after they tried to make me sign as something else.

The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process. (there's always an exception process). IT A school isn't bad gig. I like Corry Station and you end up with civilian certifications from the school. The biggest issue I see with joining the Navy Reserve as an IT is the lack of C school. Generally the Navy does't want to pay for additional schooling for reservists. If they won't give you one you may be more limited to your opportunities, but you'd need to speak to an IT more about that.

Anyway, I know your original question was about RC to AC. We've had some do that with success in our units (CT,IS,IT), but it tends to be pretty rare. I wouldn't believe anything that wasn't in writing before joining.
I'm already expecting this but yeah, I'm sticking with whatever they have on paper as I sign up. Whatever happened after you argued with them? Did you get the rate you wanted?

"The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process."

I see. Thanks. I'm very hesitant to try another recruiter as I've already gone through quite a few of them. Frankly I am getting tired of talking to recruiters at this point.

I haven't even thought about the C school and somehow not such a big deal for me on the get go. I saw some other forums where it says if you're going for a 6 year contract that most likely they will get a C school. I figured if I do luck out on that RC to AC program, Big Navy might just give that C school to me since I did opt in for a 6 year contract seeing how hard it is to get in.

Those guys that were able to successfully move over to AD through RC to AC. Any chance you are familiar with their story? As in a vague timeline how long it took them to complete it? 6MOS? 1 YR? 3YRS?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Barbazu

If I’m remembering correctly from my time at Corry it seems that 6y sailors - reserve and active - got a C school. I’m certain that was the case for CT rates with the exception of CTNs. When you get to Corry they’ll assign you a reserve liaison. They’re job is to help you sort through the reserve side of things. One of my biggest regrets is not taking advantage of their help. That’s why ended up a PS instead of an IT or IS or CTR. After being rerated to PS they told me I️ could’ve come to them and negotiated a contract I️ stead of taking the first thing they gave me.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
Chevrons21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
If I’m remembering correctly from my time at Corry it seems that 6y sailors - reserve and active - got a C school. I’m certain that was the case for CT rates with the exception of CTNs. When you get to Corry they’ll assign you a reserve liaison. They’re job is to help you sort through the reserve side of things. One of my biggest regrets is not taking advantage of their help. That’s why ended up a PS instead of an IT or IS or CTR. After being rerated to PS they told me I️ could’ve come to them and negotiated a contract I️ stead of taking the first thing they gave me.
That would be nice if that would end up being that case.

One of the conversations I had while at the recruiter was. When they told me I'd have to go RC to AC, I launched a question of: "What happens if I get to A-school, and they tell me that I am staying Reserve and I could not go AD." They told me to give them a call. I just couldn't see how a recruiter could help me out at that point. I'll definitely keep that In mind if and when I get there.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #13
wishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrons21 View Post
I'm already expecting this but yeah, I'm sticking with whatever they have on paper as I sign up. Whatever happened after you argued with them? Did you get the rate you wanted?

"The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process."

I see. Thanks. I'm very hesitant to try another recruiter as I've already gone through quite a few of them. Frankly I am getting tired of talking to recruiters at this point.

I haven't even thought about the C school and somehow not such a big deal for me on the get go. I saw some other forums where it says if you're going for a 6 year contract that most likely they will get a C school. I figured if I do luck out on that RC to AC program, Big Navy might just give that C school to me since I did opt in for a 6 year contract seeing how hard it is to get in.

Those guys that were able to successfully move over to AD through RC to AC. Any chance you are familiar with their story? As in a vague timeline how long it took them to complete it? 6MOS? 1 YR? 3YRS?

This is what I did but I don't necessarily recommend it unless you have a lot of trust in your recruiter. When I finally got through MEPs I was told the "security office" was closed and I couldn't sign for anything that required a clearance. At first they tried to make me sign as HM, but I told them that there was no way I could do that job, so I agreed to temporarily sign as a YN with the understanding that my recruiter would "Fix it" and get me into a CT/IS rate. I stayed on top of him every week for about 4 weeks before he got me into what I wanted and also moved up my ship date pretty significantly. Keep in mind that you have the right to drop out of "DEP" at any time without repercussions and I reminded them that I would not ship under a YN contract. That worked for me, but I recommend pushing as hard as you can at MEPs to make sure you sign for what your recruiter promised you. You may have zero issues, but you know how the military process goes sometimes.

The time it takes to complete A/C school for ITs depends on the school you get into. A school is 24 weeks. I honestly don't know what the current C school options for IT are. i did know ITs that had been at Corry a year if that helps. A lot of that has to do with availability of schools when you get there, depending on your timing sometimes you can end up in holding areas for awhile. Your contract will list your schools, if there is no C school listed it is highly unlikely you will be placed in one while out there. It's not the end of the world, just something to consider.
https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlist...o_cards/it.pdf

RE: reserve coordinator at Corry Station
I never met such a person. The entire base (2013) seemed pretty clueless about what to even do with reservists. It was pretty frustrating. You really need to do your research before you get out there. I would contact your local NOSC and see if you can get the career counselor on the phone. I highly recommend getting on the phone and calling people until you can figure out what the likelihood of RC to AC is for you beyond what a recruiter says. There are some additional suggestions here as well as up to date information on current RC to AC opportunities (I thinks someone else linked to that already)
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...rtunities.aspx
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
Chevrons21

Quote:
This is what I did but I don't necessarily recommend it unless you have a lot of trust in your recruiter. When I finally got through MEPs I was told the "security office" was closed and I couldn't sign for anything that required a clearance. At first they tried to make me sign as HM, but I told them that there was no way I could do that job, so I agreed to temporarily sign as a YN with the understanding that my recruiter would "Fix it" and get me into a CT/IS rate. I stayed on top of him every week for about 4 weeks before he got me into what I wanted and also moved up my ship date pretty significantly. Keep in mind that you have the right to drop out of "DEP" at any time without repercussions and I reminded them that I would not ship under a YN contract. That worked for me, but I recommend pushing as hard as you can at MEPs to make sure you sign for what your recruiter promised you. You may have zero issues, but you know how the military process goes sometimes.

The time it takes to complete A/C school for ITs depends on the school you get into. A school is 24 weeks. I honestly don't know what the current C school options for IT are. i did know ITs that had been at Corry a year if that helps. A lot of that has to do with availability of schools when you get there, depending on your timing sometimes you can end up in holding areas for awhile. Your contract will list your schools, if there is no C school listed it is highly unlikely you will be placed in one while out there. It's not the end of the world, just something to consider.
https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlist...o_cards/it.pdf

RE: reserve coordinator at Corry Station
I never met such a person. The entire base (2013) seemed pretty clueless about what to even do with reservists. It was pretty frustrating. You really need to do your research before you get out there. I would contact your local NOSC and see if you can get the career counselor on the phone. I highly recommend getting on the phone and calling people until you can figure out what the likelihood of RC to AC is for you beyond what a recruiter says. There are some additional suggestions here as well as up to date information on current RC to AC opportunities (I thinks someone else linked to that already)
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...rtunities.aspx
Thank you for the links. The more I read into RC to AC the more I start to worry. I think I need to do more reading about other routes. Also keep reading about reservists stuck wanting to go Active with a few success stories here and there. A lot of them had to cross rate. I would like to go for IT if I could. Going to look into other options as I wait on my recruiter.

I really appreciate all the advice and insight on this. Just having to talk to somebody more knowledgeable about this already gives a small and temporary sense of relief that there might be better options out there.

If it does happen that I do go to MEPS and get to see some sort of contract paper work in the near future, I'll try to update this thread if it doesn't get closed. Maybe it'll help other people in my same situation.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
wishbone

No problem, I'm happy to help. When it comes to the reserves there isn't a lot of good information out there on what you are getting into. We get people showing up all the time with expectations from recruiter conversations. When it comes to the Navy EVERYTHING is written down. If you can't find it explicitly written out, then it simply does not exist. These programs are all well detailed out, so if you can't see your chosen path in writing definitely do not count on it.