NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Lisa2008Boo

Lisa2008Boo is on a distinguished road
Default Getting tear gased...

How bad is it?

I have been on the RTC facebook page. And have seen pictures the recruited with the gas masks on right before they have to rip them off and shout their last name and division and run out of the room. I think this is one thing I am most nervous about.

Does it hurt?
Did you puke?
How long does the gas have an effect on you?
Lisa2008Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2008Boo View Post
Does it hurt?
Did you puke?
How long does the gas have an effect on you?
My son had sooo much fun in the gas chamber. Being raised around all of my Navy friends, he knew what to expect. So while others were coughing and tearing up, he was laughing at the the view of the guys and gals losing it from their nose and eyes. He knew he looked like them so it made him laugh more. You'll look really sexy!

Yea, some of the recruits throw up, but who cares, it all clears up within 15 minutes. Remember the gas chamber is to teach you how well the gas masks work. They work really, really well. They make you take them off to prove to you what they are doing.
It doesn't physically hurt. Yea, they it will make you cry and cough. You'll get over it really quick, then you'll laugh about it. Don't worry about it... Worry more about having to do push up's because you don't know your 11 General orders....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Is it sad that this one of the things I'm looking forward to most?
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

And remember, depending on your rate, bootcamp isn't the only time you do it. My husband has to do it once or twice a year. He says that in bootcamp it was great, because by then everyone was sick, and it really clears out your sinuses ;)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

I don't remember Michael saying it was fun...or wanting to do it again. lol
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
And remember, depending on your rate, bootcamp isn't the only time you do it. My husband has to do it once or twice a year. He says that in bootcamp it was great, because by then everyone was sick, and it really clears out your sinuses ;)
Guppy,
My son volunteers at each command to be on the Auxiliary Security Force (ASF). One of their highlights is to tear gas each other, man they LOVE that part. It's kind of a honor to can hold out the longest and try to get away.

For those that what to know more:

Auxiliary Security Force (ASF) / Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) Team Member

Auxiliary Security Force (ASF) personnel are active duty service members that augment base security personnel during contingencies, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, civil disturbances, exercises and special events that require heightened levels of security.

Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) team members participate in maritime boarding actions and tactics, designed to capture enemy vessels, to combat terrorism, piracy and smuggling, and to conduct customs, safety and other inspections.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Lisa2008Boo

Lisa2008Boo is on a distinguished road

I am not looking forward to it but I think I can handle it who knows I might be laughing through it idk. =]
Lisa2008Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Honestly, don't worry about it. I just graduated yesterday, so it's pretty fresh in my mind. It burns while you're in there, your sinuses clear out, but not much more. You only get exposed to the gas for about 45 seconds max. You don't feel anything about 3-4 minutes after getting out. Listen to the instructor and breathe normally
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Its not bad at all. Its pretty fun I'd have to say overall looking back. Its a little intimidating going in with the beacons and things going off and the build up they have to it, but its really no big thing. They'll build it up like its a whole big thing but it really isn't. You eyes water, you cough, you get a runny nose, and you spit a lot. The effects last maybe 10 minutes MAX. The only thing that stinks is when you're fitting the mask before you'll feel a little effect just from the residue on it from the last time it was used. Its not bad, don't work yourself up over it. If you've ever felt pepper spray, its the same feeling, except pepper spray is about 15 times worse, so by comparison the gas chamber is nothing.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

I am so looking forward to the tear gas chamber! It may be odd but it sounds like fun. A challenge!
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
prop827

Just went back and looked at this and realized you had 2 other questions. Does it hurt? Not really, its more of a discomfort than a hurt. Its not like an "OW my foot" its more a coughing watery eyed discomfort, like I mentioned before. As for how long it lasts, its less than 10 minutes after you get out of the chamber and you're back to 100% better. I didn't puke, and no one in my division did either when I went through, but some people do. On average its maybe 1 or 2 in a division MAX. Really, those who do puke its more of a mental thing than a physical thing. They get freaked out and that is the result, not the gas on their system. Best advice is to just keep calm, act and breathe normal and just do it (like nike). Its not all that bad, just go in there and keep in mind you're basically bringing your body on a roller coaster ride of sorts. In the end you'll look back on it, laugh, smile, and end up saying it was fun. Don't work yourself up, that really is the key to it.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
SMunson

SMunson is on a distinguished road

I've been told to beware of a tree that looms directly out of where the exit of the chamber is. Don't get gassed and smack into a tree.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
prop827

The entire chamber and building where you get gassed is indoors, so there is no tree since there is no outside. Maybe another branch is what you're thinking of? Or maybe one of the old facilities? You can see more or less fine, its just uncomfortable.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
The entire chamber and building where you get gassed is indoors, so there is no tree since there is no outside. Maybe another branch is what you're thinking of? Or maybe one of the old facilities? You can see more or less fine, its just uncomfortable.
Just as prop827 says there is no tree's. Go to Google earth and put in this number. You will see the gas chamber with no trees:
42°18'50.54" N 87°50'55.33" W

Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
JL

JL is on a distinguished road

Hey, maybe im just not understanding this, but when you say they tear gas you, are you wearing the mask?
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Laworlo

Yes and no. You start off with the mask on. Then they make you take it off once the room fills with the gas. Then once they have you do whatever they have you do, then you get to put your mask back on.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Hey, maybe im just not understanding this, but when you say they tear gas you, are you wearing the mask?
Just as Laworlo says, you have the gas mask on, then you take it off....

That why sometimes you will hear the "gas chamber" called the "Confidence chamber". They want you to know that you will always have confidence that you can trust your gas mask. They have you wear it, and you don't have any problems, but once you take it off, you will see that it works great because you will start crying and chocking.
The gas mask works really really well....

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
prop827

As a side note, once you take off the mask and get your 45-60 seconds of exposure, you don't put it back on, you just leave the chamber out to the "fresh air" of your damage control classroom, and then a head break once the effects wear off to get the residue off your skin as best you can.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
blueberripie

blueberripie is on a distinguished road

I had been told by a recruiter that they are told to "cup" which is to place one hand cupped under their chin/chest area because whatever comes out (tears, mucus, puke) they are to catch it in the cupped hand and wipe it on their shirt. Nothing is to fall on the floor
blueberripie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberripie View Post
I had been told by a recruiter that they are told to "cup" which is to place one hand cupped under their chin/chest area because whatever comes out (tears, mucus, puke) they are to catch it in the cupped hand and wipe it on their shirt. Nothing is to fall on the floor
Maybe in the chamber, but as soon as you run outside you will see recruits barfing up their breakfast. Ohhhhh the joys of the Gas Chamber when the CS pill hits the hot plate....

Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
prop827

Its true, you will use your hand as a cup and if anything gets on the deck, you'll be cleaning that deck after the exercise. The actual command to remove your gas mask is "Mask Up, Cup Up". Don't worry about that though, it seems gross, but when its time to do it, you'll gladly wipe that crap on your uniform. They need to get the residue washed out of them anyways so just go with it. Remember, its not so bad don't think about it just do it!!! This is always the part recruits fear most and really, it shouldn't be.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
prop827

BTW Craig, thats not the RTC chamber, it looks way different than that. Though that might be at a DC school since they get to do the confidence chamber over and over again along their careers. You don't even go outside anymore at RTC, you just go back to the classroom inside, you never even see outside. Actually, those aren't even the same masks. The RTC ones have a single large window instead of 2 eye slots and they are tinted yellow and the mask itself is grey. No one in my Div puked. People throwing up is actually fairly uncommon. I only met one person who actually vomited, and she said it was all nerves not the gas.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #23
blueberripie

blueberripie is on a distinguished road

My son left last Tuesday and he said he was looking forward to this and Battle Stations he's a crazy kid like that LOL he gets it from my dad.
Yeah I figured if anyone gets sick its due to the 'build up' and nerves getting the best of them.
blueberripie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #24
Craig
Administrator

Prop827 - That those two are from the Navy Seabee's in Port Hueneme, Calif. As you know, the picture from Navy boot camp are very limited. I think this website is the only one that actually has pictures of the ships (barracks).

I really wanted to find a picture of the "hot plate" where they put the CS gas pill, but I don't have one. The only true Great Lakes boot camp gas chamber picture I have is this one.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
prop827

THATS THE CHAMBER!!!! Yeah the DC in the red at the top right of the page is the actually in the act of dropping the tablet on the hot plate. Good tmes, good times haha
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
THATS THE CHAMBER!!!! Yeah the DC in the red at the top right of the page is the actually in the act of dropping the tablet on the hot plate. Good tmes, good times haha
Prop - Did the RDC stand on the other side of the windows and laugh at you guys? My sons RDC did. They wanted them to laugh so they would breath in more air.... ~ha

Man I remember this day like it was yesterday. Oh, boy, what a great time.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
prop827

Our RDC's would've loved to be there, but only DC Instructors are allowed to be there anymore. RDC's aren't allowed to view the gas chamber so they can't do that any more. But guests can sometimes see it with the CO's permission (usually officers from other commands). There was a good sized group that watched my division get gassed haha
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Any advice for it? Not scared of it at all, looking forward and a bit excited for it. It will be a new experience. Though I am curious if any have any advice on it as far as breathing.

Is there much a difference between breathing in through the nose or mouth? Is it bad to take deep confident breaths or would normal breaths be better?
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
Laworlo

Yeah I'm curious about that too, as I am strangely enough looking forward to this. To me I guess it makes me feel like I really am military once I go through that.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
prop827

Best advice is to breathe normal, don't breathe through your mouth, don't take deep breaths, don't hold your breath, don't take shallow breaths. Just breathe normal like you are now. Don't think about it, its gonna get you one way or another, relax and act normal and enjoy the ride. That is honestly one of the good memories of boot camp and its something you won't ever forget. Ask anyone in the Navy (at least, everyone I know who I've talked about it with) about the confidence chamber and we smile and laugh about it.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

It's just preparing you for OC spray in the fleet. Now that's some fun stuff.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote