NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Future Navy MA

Sup guys. I chose MA as my rate and I ship out February 12th which is just around the corner, can't wait. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a normal day is like as an MA? What's the hours like? Will I get the chance to be stationed in japan?
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
sweetmtn
Senior Member

 
sweetmtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N. CA
Posts: 3,727
Rep Power: 382
sweetmtn will become famous soon enough
Default

I guess you could get japan...my DIL was sent to Bahrain on her first tour.
__________________
Proud Military Mom, Navy Vet Justin(MM2n), and Army Vet SSgt Clayton

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
NavyPrincess
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 194
Rep Power: 24
NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road
Default

hoo-yah! We will be in A school together and depending on how they do things down there in San Antonio, we could be in the same class.
NavyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
jr0j
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
jr0j is on a distinguished road
Default

MA HERE LEAVING IN TWO WEEKS!
jr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
chrisxxii
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 7
chrisxxii is on a distinguished road
Default

I might be in a school with both of you. I leave to boot camp a week before you two
chrisxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPrincess View Post
hoo-yah! We will be in A school together and depending on how they do things down there in San Antonio, we could be in the same class.
Awesome, I'm guessing you ship out feb 12th too?
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxxii View Post
I might be in a school with both of you. I leave to boot camp a week before you two
Cool I guess we can have a navydep.com get together lol
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
melmiller
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
melmiller is on a distinguished road
Default

Future MA. I leave in two weeks too! Jan 15.
melmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmiller View Post
Future MA. I leave in two weeks too! Jan 15.
good luck
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
NavyPrincess
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 194
Rep Power: 24
NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road
Default

Nope, I ship out alittle later. I go March 5th so we will deffinately be down in San Antonio at the same time..
NavyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
geeMA
Junior Member
 
geeMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
geeMA is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy2012 View Post
Sup guys. I chose MA as my rate and I ship out February 12th which is just around the corner, can't wait. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a normal day is like as an MA? What's the hours like? Will I get the chance to be stationed in japan?
12 on 12 off. 5 days on, 3 days off. im stationed in norfolk and i just sit in a patrol car.

you'll pick your orders the morning of night fire. every class orders are very different, and it depends where the navy needs you. there was a class that was ahead of me, and they got orders to state-side. my class were all mainly overseas.
geeMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPrincess View Post
Nope, I ship out alittle later. I go March 5th so we will deffinately be down in San Antonio at the same time..
Cool, shoot me a message when you're in SAN. I'm down for meeting new people.
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeMA View Post
12 on 12 off. 5 days on, 3 days off. im stationed in norfolk and i just sit in a patrol car.

you'll pick your orders the morning of night fire. every class orders are very different, and it depends where the navy needs you. there was a class that was ahead of me, and they got orders to state-side. my class were all mainly overseas.
Hmm, that doesn't sound bad at all. Do you know how hard is it to get into the riverine squadron? From what I hear MA's are pre-qaulified for it.
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
snfreak1967
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NSA Bahrain
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 6
snfreak1967 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeMA View Post
12 on 12 off. 5 days on, 3 days off. im stationed in norfolk and i just sit in a patrol car.

you'll pick your orders the morning of night fire. every class orders are very different, and it depends where the navy needs you. there was a class that was ahead of me, and they got orders to state-side. my class were all mainly overseas.
Im in A school now and one class got nice orders to all over and then my class, almost half of us are going to Bahrain. If you have any questions about the school feel free to ask.
snfreak1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
geeMA
Junior Member
 
geeMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
geeMA is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfreak1967 View Post
Im in A school now and one class got nice orders to all over and then my class, almost half of us are going to Bahrain. If you have any questions about the school feel free to ask.
yep, it was my class 020.
geeMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Logicalchaos02
Senior Member

 
Logicalchaos02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 704
Rep Power: 76
Logicalchaos02 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was in Japan, all I can say is what we did in Sasebo. You work 5 days a week, 8 hour days. You either are on patrol in a unit or standing post. You can eventually go into the armory or sit dispatch if you want. Nothing ever happens in Sasebo, so if you are looking for action, then Sasebo is the wrong place. But it is fun, lots to do there.
__________________


Live free or die hard.
Logicalchaos02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #17
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicalchaos02 View Post
I was in Japan, all I can say is what we did in Sasebo. You work 5 days a week, 8 hour days. You either are on patrol in a unit or standing post. You can eventually go into the armory or sit dispatch if you want. Nothing ever happens in Sasebo, so if you are looking for action, then Sasebo is the wrong place. But it is fun, lots to do there.
Action is exactly why I chose MA, I'm not really looking forward to sitting in a cop car and doing police work but I'm hoping to get attached to a riverine squadron or MWD, how hard is it to get orders for one of the two?
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
geeMA
Junior Member
 
geeMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 8
geeMA is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy2012 View Post
Action is exactly why I chose MA, I'm not really looking forward to sitting in a cop car and doing police work but I'm hoping to get attached to a riverine squadron or MWD, how hard is it to get orders for one of the two?
the shipmates that i know who got chosen for MWD were the class leaders, and duty section leaders. so, if you really want MWD, become a class leader/section leader and also be on top of your class. its usually only one or two chosen per class out of 55. good luck.
geeMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
GoNavy2012
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 7
GoNavy2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeMA View Post
the shipmates that i know who got chosen for MWD were the class leaders, and duty section leaders. so, if you really want MWD, become a class leader/section leader and also be on top of your class. its usually only one or two chosen per class out of 55. good luck.

Good information, thanks.
GoNavy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Logicalchaos02
Senior Member

 
Logicalchaos02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 704
Rep Power: 76
Logicalchaos02 is on a distinguished road
Default

Riverine is really hard to get as a MA. Once you are a MA, you a perty much stuck with that.
__________________


Live free or die hard.
Logicalchaos02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
sweetmtn
Senior Member

 
sweetmtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N. CA
Posts: 3,727
Rep Power: 382
sweetmtn will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy2012 View Post
Action is exactly why I chose MA, I'm not really looking forward to sitting in a cop car and doing police work but I'm hoping to get attached to a riverine squadron or MWD, how hard is it to get orders for one of the two?
Pretty much you have to be the absolute best of the best in your class and SUPER SQUEAKY CLEAN..in your school and PRIOR to the navy....
__________________
Proud Military Mom, Navy Vet Justin(MM2n), and Army Vet SSgt Clayton

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles