NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Basic Ship and Aircraft Recognition

I posted this in another thread as a response to the frequently-asked question, "what do I need to know about ships & aircraft at RTC?". Since it wasn't the original topic of the thread, I figured I'd put it in it's own so other Future Sailors can benefit...

For ships, try to remember this:

A Carrier (CVN) is easy to identify because it's huge, and has an angled landing strip which gives it a beer bottle shape when viewed from above...

The mission of a carrier is to launch and recover planes and helicopters... again, kind of self-explanatory.

An Amphibious Assault Ship (LHD/LHA), by comparison, is more rectangular because it only launches helos and Harrier VTOL aircraft...

The mission of an amphib is to launch Marine helos and VTOL aircraft, as well as carry troops and landing craft such as LCAC hovercrafts. The key to remembering this one is in the name - it allows Marines to perform amphibious assaults of enemy shorelines.

Cruisers (CG) are easily recognizable by their two distinct masts (One above the bridge, and one in the middle of the ship)...

The mission of a cruiser is to protect carrier battle groups and convoys... the hint here is that a cruiser "cruises" alongside carriers.

Destroyers (DDG), on the other hand, only have one large mast above the bridge...

The mission of a destroyer is to "destroy" enemy ships and aircraft.

Frigates (FFG), like cruisers, have two masts... but they have a shorter overall superstructure and a large square hangar on the back for ASW helos...

The distinguishing mission of the frigate is Anti-Submarine Warfare operations (ASW)... the hint here is to remember the frigate bird - it searches for and snatches fish out of the water.[/QUOTE]

For aircraft, it's not as much visual identification as it is designation identification. I wouldn't expect you to know the difference between an SH-60B, an SH-60F, an MH-60R, an MH-60S, a UH-60L, an HH-60G, or an HH-60J... but eliminating the first and last letter, you know they're all H-60 helicopters so they're gonna look something like this:

Helos are easy to identify because they're gonna start with two letters, and the second one is always gonna be an H... so if you see SH-60B, MH-53E, AH-1J, CH-47M, you may not have a clue what those look like or their nichname, but you should at least know they're all helicopters. The first letter is going to indicate it's mission:

A = Attack
C = Cargo
M = Multi-Role
S = Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW)
U = Utility

The last letter is the revision number... you shouldn't need to know that for DEP or RTC... maybe A School if your rating requires it.

Airplanes are basically the same, only they'll usually be one letter before the number... C-2A, P-3C, E-6B, C-130H, F-117A, etc. This letter is again ging to indicate mission:

A = Attack
B = Bomber
C = Cargo
E = Electronic Warfare
F = Fighter
P = Patrol & Reconnaissance
Q = UAV
S = ASW
T = Trainer

Occasionally, you'll see two letters for an aircraft... these indicate two roles. The best example of this is the F/A-18 Hornet, which is a Fighter/Attack aircraft... compared to the now-retired F-14 Tomcat, which was a Fighter only. Sometimes, you'll also see the same airframe taking on another role, such as with the P-3C Orion vs. EP-3E Aries II or the F/A-18 Hornet vs. the E/A-18 Growler... in both cases, the aircraft looks very similar, but the designator tells you that the latter in both cases is also responsible for Electronic Warfare missions. The only notable exception to this is the EA-6B Prowler vs. the E-6B Mercury...

The Prowler looks like this:

While the Mercury looks like this:

Why did they give the same airframe number to two dramatically different aircraft? I dunno...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Last edited by Haasino; 03-07-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

In November 2013, the Navy will be launching the Ford Class Aircraft Carrier. It is similar to the current Nimitz Class, but has some differences.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

^ That EMALS will probably make things a bit quieter below deck... but they're not gonna need to know class at RTC. At least, you weren't when I was there... still good knowledge though.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
^ That EMALS will probably make things a bit quieter below deck... but they're not gonna need to know class at RTC. At least, you weren't when I was there... still good knowledge though.
I figure since they start sea trials next week, it'll probably soon be required knowledge. Regardless, it's still good to know. Especially for people who hope to serve on a carrier.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Once again, great info!
D.Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
delucabv23

delucabv23 is on a distinguished road

thanks again for the info
delucabv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Haasino and Guppy!

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
shamablama

shamablama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
In November 2013, the Navy will be launching the Ford Class Aircraft Carrier. It is similar to the current Nimitz Class, but has some differences.

My husband, father, and father-in-law are all helping build this ship right now at the Newport News Shipyard! Since they all started that job I've always said it would be awesome if I got attached to it at some point in my navy career.

Depped in 01AUG2013
Shipping out 25MAR2014
Air Traffic Controller
shamablama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

That's so cool! I was just reading about the new class. My favorite part is how they've added so much power generation capability to allow for "future weapons technology"..... Lasers and railguns, hooyah!

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road

I've been meaning to ask my recruiter about this and keep forgetting! Thanks for the excellent summary!
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #11
icander

icander is on a distinguished road

@ Haasino: Aaaaah, thank you so much for the guide! It'll make memorizing the different ships and aircraft much easier for me. Very helpful. C:

@ Guppy: Thank you, as well, for the extra info!

--

The slate wipes clean on February 10th.
icander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
WarriorQueen

WarriorQueen is on a distinguished road

This is awesome! I've been trying to find something like this since it's a PQS requirement and the START guide doesn't go into any kind of detail. It's been a major frustration in DEP trying to find a guide like this. Thanks!
WarriorQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
futuresailormoh

futuresailormoh is on a distinguished road

i actually had the wonderful opportunity of working as a civilian on the Ford cvn78 for three years as an electrician. It was amazing to see how far along a ship comes together in three years. From a big piece of metal with no roof and main deck being the top of the ship, to a fully operating aircraft carrier with sailors living aboard. i am honored to say i was able to help build this ship, and who knows i might be able to get assigned to it and work on it as a sailor also.
futuresailormoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

This is an incredibly old post, wow. Funny that my bird is on here though.... People get confused with those two planes all the time.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #15
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
This is an incredibly old post, wow.
So old that most of the photo links had expired... I went ahead and updated them.

Quote:
Funny that my bird is on here though.... People get confused with those two planes all the time.
Any VQ bird tends to cause confusion wherever it goes. Even better are the VPU and special mission VP birds... nothing like telling other service members your aircraft is used for submarine-hunting, while flying missions entirely overland.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
So old that most of the photo links had expired... I went ahead and updated them.

Any VQ bird tends to cause confusion wherever it goes. Even better are the VPU and special mission VP birds... nothing like telling other service members your aircraft is used for submarine-hunting, while flying missions entirely overland.
Lol I know what you mean. My old ALPO used to fly on P-3s and he was telling us how much he misses them.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."

Old 03-08-2016, 01:19 AM   #17
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Lol I know what you mean. My old ALPO used to fly on P-3s and he was telling us how much he misses them.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

Well... at least you found something? I guess? lol