NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Lafayette

Lafayette is a name known to allLafayette is a name known to allLafayette is a name known to all
Default Family time before graduation?

Hi guys!

I thought I'd ask this. I understand that if I'm going to A-School at Great Lakes, that I won't really be able to leave the base to spend time with family after graduating.

Is there any family time say the day before graduation, etc?

I'm only asking because the wife and family will be traveling a long distance to see me, and if they only get a few hours with me it might be a lot for them to go through.

Very respectfully,

Lafayette
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Hi guys!

I thought I'd ask this. I understand that if I'm going to A-School at Great Lakes, that I won't really be able to leave the base to spend time with family after graduating.

Is there any family time say the day before graduation, etc?

I'm only asking because the wife and family will be traveling a long distance to see me, and if they only get a few hours with me it might be a lot for them to go through.

Very respectfully,

Lafayette
Good afternoon Lafayette,

There is no family time the day before. Is your family going to be staying in a hotel? I'm sure you're going to have plenty of time during A-School to see your family they decide to stay a week or so.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Your family has the whole graduation weekend to be with you mate. One of the perks of having your A-school there.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Lafayette

Lafayette is a name known to allLafayette is a name known to allLafayette is a name known to all

I heard that graduation for Sailors going to A School at Great Lakes won't be able to leave the base and will spend up to 5 hours checking in to A school?
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

After you check into your barracks and get briefed you will be able to check out with your family. Also, the rest of that weekend you will be able to check out with them as well. The hours will depend on what barracks you stay in but if I remember for us it was 0600-2200. You will have plenty of time.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

You will have a small amount of time with your family at the end of graduation.
Then you will go check in at your A school & move your stuff to the new barracks & that can take several hours. After you finish that you can meet with your family & go off base but you will need to return that evening (timing is variable but 2000 or 2100 hrs is not uncommon.

Saturday & Sunday you will have liberty & they can pick you up each morning & drop you off each evening. Timing will vary. One caveat to this -- you might well have duty sometime during the weekend, and of course you would have to be back on base during that time.

Also, they can give you your cell phone, laptop, etc on Friday.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote