NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Ktamse

Ktamse is on a distinguished road
Default Hospital Corpsman question!!!

I'm in the prices of research, research and more research! I've found that there are several specialties listed under the HM rate, how does this work! Like say if I wanted to go in as an X-ray tech, would this be the job I sign for on my contract? Just curious as to how this all works!
Ktamse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

As usual, I'm going to tell you what my own research has uncovered, and someone who knows better will correct me if I'm wrong.

The specialties you're looking at are called NECs, Navy Enlisted Classifications. These are usually advanced training that comes from a C school, and you're not likely to get it in your contract. I assume you land one by expressing an interest, and then being a flaming badass in A school, to maximize your chances of being sent to a C school at all. But HM (like so many things) is pretty overmanned, so I wouldn't count on anything.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
HMHunt

HMHunt is on a distinguished road

Auridan is right for the most part. You sign the contract as a HM and you go to "A School". During "A School" you and your class put in dream sheets of where you want to go or "C Schools" you are interested in. The higher the GPA the more likely you are to get what you want. This doesn't mean if you don't have the best GPA that you won't get what you want they just pick orders for those people first. "C School" is a lot easier to get then it used to be. I have friends who wanted to go straight fleet after "A School", but got put into a "C School" they didn't want. Certain "C Schools" have very limited seats, such as X-Ray, so the higher your GPA the better chance you have to get it, but it's not always the smart kids who get "C Schools". A l
HMHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
HMHunt

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I just graduated Corps school two weeks ago, so I have first hand experience.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Ktamse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHunt View Post
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I just graduated Corps school two weeks ago, so I have first hand experience.
Is this rate hard to get? I've heard it is and it isn't! I'm older(25) and ready to do something with meaning and purpose in life. Currently a pastry chef but I'm ready to get out of my current career!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
HMHunt

I told them I wanted HM and they didn't even try to offer me another job. If you want it, don't sign until you get it. Corpsman are always going to be needed. We are one of the most important rate in the Navy, biased opinion, but well deserved. Tell them that's what you want and you should t have a problem. I am 22 and signed my contract when I was 21. It seems like a lot of older people are enlisting into the military lately. The oldest guy in my class was 34.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Ktamse

Will you be stationed on a ship or shore duty?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
navywife83

navywife83 is on a distinguished road

this is great info! I am hoping to get HM. I am going reserves though, so I am not sure if I get the chance to go to c school.... Also an older enlistee. I will be 30 this year >.< I have always wanted to join the navy, but always too scared. It is amazing what the pressure of age will do to you lol
navywife83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
Ktamse

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywife83 View Post
this is great info! I am hoping to get HM. I am going reserves though, so I am not sure if I get the chance to go to c school.... Also an older enlistee. I will be 30 this year >.< I have always wanted to join the navy, but always too scared. It is amazing what the pressure of age will do to you lol
Nice to meet you!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
HMHunt

Navywife, you will not have the opportunity to go to a C School as a reservist, unless you sign a HMDA contract and then you'll go through normal A School then go to Dental Assistant C School. As for the question about shore or ship, as a first year Corpsman, you are almost 100% guaranteed to be on shore they don't send many corpsman on ships. There are about 30 on each carrier and even less on smaller ships. A lot of my friends who got sent to Naval Hospital San Diego are attached to the Mercy whenever she deploys, but deployments have been canceled a lot due to budget cuts, so they may never go out.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
vet502

vet502 is on a distinguished road

I suggest going to MEPS asap. I DEP'ed 20130610 and won't ship until 20140317. You sound like me! I'll be turning 26 at RTC and wanted to do something meaningful with my life. I was offered CTT and HM-I worked at a desk job the past 2 years...no way would I go that route. Just request and the career counselor will make sure your line scores match. I'm hoping to be on a base overseas.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
HMHunt

Vet502, Overseas orders aren't too hard to get. I had quite a few shitbags in my class with average GPAs go to Japan. We had about 5-6 Japan billets, 1 Italy billet and 1 Hawaii billet. It all just depends what billets are open.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
gameingkine
**Active Duty**

gameingkine is on a distinguished road

my first job choice was HM but my recruiter said it was a rare job, but when i was there they had both HM and HM assistant open for december and january. my theory is that a wider range of jobs r open right now due to schools getting out and a large amount of graduates coming in
gameingkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Just understand that a RESERVIST will not get an overseas billit!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
navywife83

navywife83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Just understand that a RESERVIST will not get an overseas billit!
i think I was the only reservist asking about hm. i dont want overseas... my husband is here lol
navywife83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Ktamse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet502 View Post
I suggest going to MEPS asap. I DEP'ed 20130610 and won't ship until 20140317. You sound like me! I'll be turning 26 at RTC and wanted to do something meaningful with my life. I was offered CTT and HM-I worked at a desk job the past 2 years...no way would I go that route. Just request and the career counselor will make sure your line scores match. I'm hoping to be on a base overseas.
I'm hoping to contact a recruiter once I get back from vacation! Good luck!!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Ktamse

Quote:
Navywife, you will not have the opportunity to go to a C School as a reservist, unless you sign a HMDA contract and then you'll go through normal A School then go to Dental Assistant C School. As for the question about shore or ship, as a first year Corpsman, you are almost 100% guaranteed to be on shore they don't send many corpsman on ships. There are about 30 on each carrier and even less on smaller ships. A lot of my friends who got sent to Naval Hospital San Diego are attached to the Mercy whenever she deploys, but deployments have been canceled a lot due to budget cuts, so they may never go out.
Thank you for all your help! This actually has me quite excited!!! Ready to contact my recruiter!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
HMHunt

Glad I could be of assistance. This site helped me before I left for boot, so I just want to help others with their journey.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Rhonda

Rhonda is on a distinguished road
Default question

Quote:
My son leaves for bootcamp Jan 7, 14... He will be a HM..
I guess HM school is in Tx now ( when I went it was Great Lakes) Do the ymake the hm's go to FMF or is it still optional? And how can he get the "C" school he wants?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

You get the C-school you want by doing well in Corps School. They won't force him to go to FMTB though.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
amcarr

amcarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
My son leaves for bootcamp Jan 7, 14... He will be a HM..
I guess HM school is in Tx now ( when I went it was Great Lakes) Do the ymake the hm's go to FMF or is it still optional? And how can he get the "C" school he wants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
You get the C-school you want by doing well in Corps School. They won't force him to go to FMTB though.

He may or may not get the c school he wants. He may or may not have to go FMF. It all depends on the orders available when its time for his class to pick.

I graduated June 2012. Two classes ahead of me, every male had to go FMTB. The next class, right before mine, had Zero FMTB orders. For my class there was 20 available FMTB orders and only 15 got chosen. As far as C-Schools available, about 20 chose to go that route, and they were the basic ones that are always available because most people who go to the fleet dont want to chose them: Pharmacy Tech, Surge Tech, and Lab Tech.

Given the fact that the Marines are cutting back numbers, by 20,000, and asking to cut how many corpsman are attached to each marine unit, the necessity of FMF corpsman wont be so high, but it makes sense for as many corpsman to go through FMTB just in case another war or something might break out. Plus its better to go through FMTB while your younger.
amcarr is offline   Reply With Quote