NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
blakehET

blakehET is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Advice for shipping

I'm supposed to ship out in November, but my recruiter said their might be earlier dates available for me to ship out, my question about all this is, is it better to be at bootcamp during the winter months or any kind of ups and downs to it, I'd like to ship earlier but I feel like during the winter months would be nice. Regardless I have to spend about a year at Great Lakes because my schooling is there for AECF. I was just wanting to hear other people's opinions besides mine, thanks!
blakehET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

The winters there are BRUTAL. I'm talking stretches of temperatures -40F and below. Lots of ice and snow as well. Winter divisions can also receive two peanut butter shots instead of the normal amount of one. It's A LOT easier to get sick during basic during the winter as well.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

It can be hot as all get out in the summer and cold as can be in the winter...it all depends on what you are used to. My son went in the winter, but we live in the high dessert area where we get over 110 in the summer and minus 0 in the winter with lots of snow...he had no problem...what I thought was funny it was always a fight to get him to shovel snow here at home...he goes to boot and has snow detail and has to shovel the walk ways....lol Either way all your PT is done indoors anyway....

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Matt

Matt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
The winters there are BRUTAL. I'm talking stretches of temperatures -40F and below. Lots of ice and snow as well. Winter divisions can also receive two peanut butter shots instead of the normal amount of one. It's A LOT easier to get sick during basic during the winter as well.
I got 2 peanut butter shots and I shipped in March, my entire division got 2. Fun times
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road
Red face I hate winter!!

Im actually terrified of the winter months up there LoL - Im trying to ship out by September just so I can avoid all of that. All of these posts of everyone shipping out about the same time makes me super excited!!!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

I shipped August 18th. It was just starting to cool down. There were days that were terribly hot, but into September it's really nice.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I shipped August 18th. It was just starting to cool down. There were days that were terribly hot, but into September it's really nice.
Keep your fingers crossed for me then The last day I can enlist is December 14th and again...not wanting to do it in the snow LoL

Tags
advice, bootcamp, shipping