NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Chance

Chance is on a distinguished road
Default Ship day timeline

I leave for the hotel 30 days from now, and am wondering about the following day.

MEPS: I know its going to be a lot of the same hurry up and wait, get in line to get in line type of stuff. is it less in depth than the original MEPS day, or more thorough?
The day-to-day thread says i may fly out by about Noon, and that we get picked up from Ohare at 2230. Do I have time to relax/eat/call home when I arrive?
do I just hang out for the 5 or so hours?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

If I remember correctly it was a quick med checkup, waiting around for the official swear-in and then they took us to the airport around 11 or 12, but our flight didn't leave until hours later. We arrived in Chicago around 5 or 6, then wandered around the airport looking for somewhere to eat dinner before reporting to the USO to wait for the next bus to come and pick us up. It just looped every hour or so.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

What did the quick med check up consist of?

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

But we can use our cell phones while at O'Hare?
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Verify that your height/weight is still in the limits, that you aren't intoxicated, that you aren't pregnant (for females), and that your medical status hasn't changed.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
But we can use our cell phones while at O'Hare?
Yes, you can use your cell phone all the way up until the petty officers come get you at the airport. If you get to the airport early you'll have a lot of wait time before the petty officers show up to get you. They will tell you to turn off your cell phones when the time comes.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Among other things, you'll go into the Underwear Olympics room again and strip to your skivvies. They'll check you for cuts, bruises, rashes, and all that good stuff, specifically on your hands and feet. Protip: Do NOT get poison ivy right before you go. Mine was still clearing up (though no longer contagious) when I shipped, and only by sheer luck did the doc either not notice it or not care about it.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
elite636

elite636 is on a distinguished road

Why, what happens if you have cuts, bruises or rashes when you're supposed to ship?
elite636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #9
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite636 View Post
Why, what happens if you have cuts, bruises or rashes when you're supposed to ship?
The doctors are always looking for a way to disqualify you... now more than ever. Depending where the cut or bruise is they can say it looks like self harm. Also if you have certain rashes or bad burns for some reason you might be able to ship due to infection or stuff such as that.
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When I was at MEPS picking my job there was a guy that was supposed to ship out the next day. He had a decent sized cut on his arm and was told that he couldn't ship out until the cut healed up a bit.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Also - it just occurred to me that this might be part of the reason - cuts and stuff are easy ways to get sick faster at bootcamp.

Bootcamp is always full of germs because there's people arriving constantly from all over the place and living in shared spaces. The first week or so (while we were in P-days in Pearl Harbor) the petty officers were really strict about using hand sanitizer all the time and not touching your face, because that's where everyone get in-processed.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
elite636

elite636 is on a distinguished road

Ahh gotcha. The risk of infection and getting sick makes sense, but I didn't even think about it looking like "self harm". I'll try not to get a rash or injured in the next 24 hours... ;)
elite636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
jabarirb

jabarirb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ahh gotcha. The risk of infection and getting sick makes sense, but I didn't even think about it looking like "self harm". I'll try not to get a rash or injured in the next 24 hours... ;)
Okay
So I ship on monday the 19th, and my left knee got skinned but its mostly healed up but its a lil noticeable. Will they say anything?
jabarirb is offline   Reply With Quote