NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
sherwinf07

sherwinf07 is on a distinguished road
Default CTN or IT?

Hi,

I have an associates degree in information technology with A+ and Sec+ cert and interested in joining the navy as CTN. I have not taken the ASVAB yet, but I have been studying and confident to be qualified for the rate.

I went a recruiter last week to get more info on CTN and was told that they rarely have it available. The recruiters instead told me to go with IT if CTN isn't available. IT isn't a bad rate, but do you think CTN is worth waiting for? Please advice.

Thank you,
sherwinf07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

This is going to be a long post... Both rates are good. It’s really hard for a recruiter to say whether it’ll be open or not (btw, I’m a recruiter). But here’s the deal. If you go to MEPS and get offered a list of jobs then decide to wait... well, we have a name for that QNE. That’s Qualified but Not Enlisted. Can you wait it out? Technically, yes. But good luck getting a recruiter to send you back to MEPS. Plus you really never know when the job may open up. It might open up tomorrow then close down for a month. There’s really no way to know unless you happen to be close to Millington and can actually talk to the people that handle quotas. And that’s not really something YOU do - it’s something the recruiter can possibly do. But, honestly, the amount of work that goes into getting someone slated for MEPS and the whole process means recruiters don’t really have the time available for them to focus on getting you the specific job you want. There are exceptions to that: SEAL, Nuke, etc. But for a CT rate unless your recruiter has a CT goal for the month they’re not likely to push for it.

I say all that to say this... Why are you joining the Navy? If it’s to serve your country, or get the benefits, or see the world then don’t go into it rate-locked. When someone comes into my office rate locked I always ask them “What do you think the worst job in the Navy is?” Then I tell them if they’re not willing to take that job if it’s the only one available then I don’t have time to deal with them. I have other people dying to get into the Navy no matter what job they get. That may sound harsh, but it’s the truth. So, there’s some stuff to consider.

You can come out of either A School with a ton of college credit. You’re going to get lots of hands on experience. You can apply for certs through Navy Cool. CTN is a badass rate. But so is IT. If you really want to get down to brass tacks - all the rates in the Navy are badass.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
sherwinf07

sherwinf07 is on a distinguished road

I do not mind doing IT work, in fact, I have already been working as a system administrator for about two years now. I just had to ask the question because I want to do something a little different and CTN is the rate I'm very interested in. If I get lucky enough to get the rate I like, why not? If I will have to wait too long then I'll go with the next available rate.

I want to join the military to serve this great country and also benefit me and my family, just like you and everybody else. I think everybody should be given the opportunity to pick the rate they want or would not mind doing if they're qualified for it and willing to wait. a four-year contract does not go by quick!

I'm lucky you're not my recruiter, though I really appreciate your honest opinion.

Thanks,
sherwinf07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

It’s admirable that you want to serve your country. And the Navy is the BEST way to do that. Although, I’m biased. CTN really is a cool rate, and I hope you get it! I started my Navy career as a CTN. You’ll love it. But, again, it’s not guaranteed. I don’t know where you’re from or anything like that. So, I might come off as sounding pretty harsh. But, honestly, some places in he country do not have as many people to deal with as I do. So your recruiter may be able to devote more time to your cause. But I have such a large area to work that I am extreme busy. I seriously don’t have time for anyone that might go to MEPS and not choose a job. You know wha I’m saying? I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. I was just giving it to you straight from my perspective.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I really wish you the best. A lot of people think serving the country is a right. But really it’s an enormous privilege. I hoe you’re given the opportunity. I took this job because the Navy changes lives. And I love being a part of that! And I hope it works out for you.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ctn