NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
NavyCalifornia

NavyCalifornia is on a distinguished road
Default Any PACT-SN Deppers out there?

Just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there. Sometimes it gets a little lonely hearing people at DEP meetings talking about their specific rate.

Trying to stay positive, as I hear both good and bad things about this rate, but it actually gave me more options in the long run.

Have you experienced any negativity from people (prior enlisted and the like) about being undesignated? How do you handle it?
NavyCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
RG1993

RG1993 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there. Sometimes it gets a little lonely hearing people at DEP meetings talking about their specific rate.
As a fellow depper and future undesignated seaman I kind of know how you feel. Seeing everyone flock to their "mentor" gives me this feeling of no reassurance because there is no one to guide me and tell me what to expect- Ups, downs, and the BS.

Quote:
Trying to stay positive, as I hear both good and bad things about this rate, but it actually gave me more options in the long run.
I am also trying to stay positive and open minded about this situation. Being undesignated is not a death sentence, right? My recruiter went in as undesignated and so did my dad. My recruiter was in for 6 years and became an ABF. My father became an EM and later on a YN and did his whole 20 years. Both loved their time in the Navy, my father especially as it seems his good memories over cloud his bad ones. A lot of other people went in as undesignated and made a career out of the navy.

The good thing I see about this program is going straight to the fleet (after boot camp and the 3 week course) and seeing how the Navy actually functions while everyone is still at A School. I've also heard that most undesignated get their ESWS pin pretty early. The bad thing I see about this program is the menial, but necessary jobs, and striking. Who knows if the rate we want in the future may be available or not.

Quote:
Have you experienced any negativity from people (prior enlisted and the like) about being undesignated? How do you handle it?
I hear a lot of people talk **** about being undesignated. Even my dad talks **** about his time being undesignated. How do I deal with it? I just deal with it lol. I like to think of it as only a year or two out of my entire life. Though, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that most of these people who talk bad about being undesignated weren't even undesignated themselves.

In February my dad took me on a tour of a ship down at Pearl Harbor (USS Chosin). I met two undesignated seaman. One was a former immigrant and doesn't mind being a "deck ape" as he said. The other was a drop out in the Navy Nuc. He also doesn't mind being undesignated and said he is glad on not going in the Nuclear route. They said to me what everyone else said to me, "The Navy is what you make of it." I guess the only thing we can do is stay positive about it. Nobody wants to be that guy who whines and complains all day.
RG1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
ParisKmorgan

ParisKmorgan is on a distinguished road

Hey, Im also Pact SN and I leave next week. Its three people at my station who are all also Pact and we all leave within days of each other. So I agree I think it will be what you make it but it is easier when you have friends going along with you like us.
ParisKmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Jake

Jake is on a distinguished road

Yeah man im in dep shipping 20150409 im pact seaman its mostly about being positive anything would suck if you constantly remind your self it suck just be open minded and youll be good thats my plan
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough

This post is rather old but I would like to say I'm also a PACT SN.
I ship a day before you Jake, 20150408.

I'm looking forward to donning the uniform and knowing I'm a part of something greater, even if I am chipping paint and scrubbing floors! lol, it's only the beginning of my military career which will open a lot of doors both inside the military and beyond.
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #6
Jake

Yeah thats badass well be in boot together and even a school (well its not a school but trainings) haha but yeah thats the right attitude to have. Im going take pride in painting chipping and everythin. Its kinda cool when you think avout it your a actual full blown salior.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough

Yeah we will, that's if I don't get ASMO'd for the prone float... lol!
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #8
Jake

Dont sweat it i heard all you have to do is like float for a couple seconds and go under and do it like 5 times haha