NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #201
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, bootcamp is not the place to prepare for NACCS... in fact, it's the place to expect your PT to degrade a bit. The thought process you need to have is to leave for RTC exceeding GOOD in every category at a minimum... be running several miles at least 3 times a week to account for the small degradation that's going to come from bootcamp.

One thing to keep in mind... you only have to pass your PST-In with a SAT in order to not get put on PT-Hold... it's the PST-Out that needs to be GOOD.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #202
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Unfortunately, bootcamp is not the place to prepare for NACCS... in fact, it's the place to expect your PT to degrade a bit. The thought process you need to have is to leave for RTC exceeding GOOD in every category at a minimum... be running several miles at least 3 times a week to account for the small degradation that's going to come from bootcamp.

One thing to keep in mind... you only have to pass your PST-In with a SAT in order to not get put on PT-Hold... it's the PST-Out that needs to be GOOD.
Thanks so much for that info. I was so worried that no matter how prepared, I'd lose all my prep work. The only thing I'm worrying about is the running. I grew up a competitive swimmer so I'm not worried about the pool work at all.
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #203
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hass,

Is 20/20 vision required for NAC? Say you had 20/25 in one eye (20/40 is where you would need glasses from what I understand).

Thoughts?

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #204
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Hey Hass,

Is 20/20 vision required for NAC? Say you had 20/25 in one eye (20/40 is where you would need glasses from what I understand).

Thoughts?

/r
CTT1
I'll try to look up the instructions in the next few days... but fixed-wing is something like 20/400 or greater as long as it's correctable to 20/20. Biggest requirement is that you carry two forms of correction while flying... aka, contacts and a backup pair of glasses... prescription sunglasses, and regular glasses... or just two pairs of glasses.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #205
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll try to look up the instructions in the next few days... but fixed-wing is something like 20/400 or greater as long as it's correctable to 20/20. Biggest requirement is that you carry two forms of correction while flying... aka, contacts and a backup pair of glasses... prescription sunglasses, and regular glasses... or just two pairs of glasses.
It's not even close enough for me to wear glasses lol That would be kind of crazy though. Guess we'll find out! ;)

/r
CTT1
Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #206
Edge

Edge is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for answering my questions! I just have one more about the flight physical. When it comes to the dental portion, is needing a root canal or a cavity filling disqualifying? Even if these are taken care of at Boot Camp?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #207
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Here are the Aviation Physical Standards, CTT1... as I thought, there's no uncorrected limit, but it must be corrected to 20/20. I've got a buddy who's prescription is so minor, he never wears/carries his glasses unless he's flying.

As far as dental goes, Edge, you're not going to be able to get your Flight Up Chit with cavities, but they'll be able to fix them during RTC... if for some reason they can't fix everything while you're in training, you'll go to the Temporary Holding Unit until they can finish the work. It will not disqualify you though.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #208
Edge

Thanks a bunch, man. I know I shouldn't get overly attached to one particular rate, as I might not get offered it at MEPS, but ever since I got a good score on my ASVAB and have looked into this rating everything about it seems awesome. This is the best place for information like this so I can get a heads up, so again, thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #209
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Don't mention it! Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #210
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Hass,

Could you enlighten me a bit about what the other AW sub-rates do? Do they all fly? If so, what? What do they do up there (that you can discuss)?

/r
CTT1

*Edit
There's a pertinent reason for me asking, as I might at some point be contacting the ECM about an AW opportunity.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #211
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Hass,

Could you enlighten me a bit about what the other AW sub-rates do? Do they all fly? If so, what? What do they do up there (that you can discuss)?

/r
CTT1

*Edit
There's a pertinent reason for me asking, as I might at some point be contacting the ECM about an AW opportunity.
As far as the actual AWO/AWF/AWV/AWR/AWS sub-rates? All AW[x] rates fly... the AWO's are generally the only ones in this community actually referred to as AW's, since we were always a flying-only rate... if an AE, AWV, or an AWF mentions something about "f**king AW's"... they're talking about us. We are strictly sensor operators... zero maintenance. AW's are split between Acoustic Sensor Operators, who deal with sonobuoys and Anti-Submarine Warfare tactics, and Non-Acoustic Electronic Warfare Operators, who deal with radar, safety-of-flight, weather avoidance, and ESM.

That's the basic stuff that we train to... and that's what's written on the job description... but there's a lot more C4ISR stuff that the Maritime Patrol & Reconnaissance community has been getting involved with since around the first Gulf War. If you dig around on SIPR or JWICS using keywords like MPRA, VP, VQ, etc. you'll probably be able to get a better idea of what we're doing in areas of 5th and 6th Fleet. If you're looking at trying to actually cross-rate into an AW rate vs. going CT Aircrew, AWO is going to be closest to what you're familiar with. As VQ-1 and the EP-3's start approaching their sunset, the line between CT and AWO is starting to slowly fade in many ways.

AWF and AWV, by contrast, are Flight Engineers and In-Flight Technicians... flying mechs and trons in the simplest sense. They work out of those respective workspaces and have a much more hands-on role in the functionality of the aircraft. The advantage is you're outside turning wrenches and actually fixing things, if that's what you enjoy doing... the disadvantage is that both of them are a dying breed, and as such you'd be unlikely to remain in rate for more than 6-10 years, max.

AWR's and AWS' fly on aircraft who's wings move faster than their fuselages, and only maintain lift by beating gravity into submission... this is an affront to God and Isaac Newton, and they are therefore not to be trusted.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #212
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
As far as the actual AWO/AWF/AWV/AWR/AWS sub-rates? All AW[x] rates fly... the AWO's are generally the only ones in this community actually referred to as AW's, since we were always a flying-only rate... if an AE, AWV, or an AWF mentions something about "f**king AW's"... they're talking about us. We are strictly sensor operators... zero maintenance. AW's are split between Acoustic Sensor Operators, who deal with sonobuoys and Anti-Submarine Warfare tactics, and Non-Acoustic Electronic Warfare Operators, who deal with radar, safety-of-flight, weather avoidance, and ESM.

That's the basic stuff that we train to... and that's what's written on the job description... but there's a lot more C4ISR stuff that the Maritime Patrol & Reconnaissance community has been getting involved with since around the first Gulf War. If you dig around on SIPR or JWICS using keywords like MPRA, VP, VQ, etc. you'll probably be able to get a better idea of what we're doing in areas of 5th and 6th Fleet. If you're looking at trying to actually cross-rate into an AW rate vs. going CT Aircrew, AWO is going to be closest to what you're familiar with. As VQ-1 and the EP-3's start approaching their sunset, the line between CT and AWO is starting to slowly fade in many ways.

AWF and AWV, by contrast, are Flight Engineers and In-Flight Technicians... flying mechs and trons in the simplest sense. They work out of those respective workspaces and have a much more hands-on role in the functionality of the aircraft. The advantage is you're outside turning wrenches and actually fixing things, if that's what you enjoy doing... the disadvantage is that both of them are a dying breed, and as such you'd be unlikely to remain in rate for more than 6-10 years, max.

AWR's and AWS' fly on aircraft who's wings move faster than their fuselages, and only maintain lift by beating gravity into submission... this is an affront to God and Isaac Newton, and they are therefore not to be trusted.
Awesome, thanks man. Yea CT isn't affording me many opportunities for my current situation. If I was one of these deppers just coming in it would be a completely different story though. But I know I want to fly, so really it's just about finding a community that will take me. AWO seems hit or miss while AWR seems like they always need bodies. Do you know how much do the R's focus on the rescue swimmer aspect vs sensor operations at all? Also, any experience with folks crossing into AW(X) from non-aviation rates?

/r
CTT1
Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #213
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Looking at the current BUPERS manager pages... here's how it looks:

AWO - Open only to AWV's in YG 2006, 2008, & 2011 only.

AWF - Open to "select" E-5 and above personnel to become TACAMO Flight Engineers

AWV - Not open to any personnel

AWS - Not open to any personnel

AWR - Open to YG 2005, 2008, & 2011 personnel only.

So unfortunately it looks like AWO is still off-limits to everyone but select AWV's... you can thank the P-8 Poseidon for that. That might change in a few years though... there were about 1-3 fleet returnees per class in AW "A" School while I was there. I'm currently working with an Acoustic who was a former GM, and an EWO who was an MA.

As far as AWR goes, those guys are the other "AW's"... they work as combined Acoustic/EWO Sensor Operators for the helos doing ASW missions. They're trained as rescue swimmers... but the majority of the job is ASW, ASuW, counter-narco/piracy ops, and CSAR. The helos don't do any ISR stuff though, so you're not going to have as much of the intel work as an AWO... but you'll be closer to the action doing maritime strike stuff.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #214
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Looking at the current BUPERS manager pages... here's how it looks:

AWO - Open only to AWV's in YG 2006, 2008, & 2011 only.

AWF - Open to "select" E-5 and above personnel to become TACAMO Flight Engineers

AWV - Not open to any personnel

AWS - Not open to any personnel

AWR - Open to YG 2005, 2008, & 2011 personnel only.

So unfortunately it looks like AWO is still off-limits to everyone but select AWV's... you can thank the P-8 Poseidon for that. That might change in a few years though... there were about 1-3 fleet returnees per class in AW "A" School while I was there. I'm currently working with an Acoustic who was a former GM, and an EWO who was an MA.

As far as AWR goes, those guys are the other "AW's"... they work as combined Acoustic/EWO Sensor Operators for the helos doing ASW missions. They're trained as rescue swimmers... but the majority of the job is ASW, ASuW, counter-narco/piracy ops, and CSAR. The helos don't do any ISR stuff though, so you're not going to have as much of the intel work as an AWO... but you'll be closer to the action doing maritime strike stuff.
From what I've seen they can wiggle the year group requirements slightly for specific candidates. I've been avidly reading the community management slides on BUPERS though. I'm actually emailing your ECM right now haha So we'll see. AWO would be my first pick, followed by AWR (assuming the CT manning levels don't budge...Thanks NAT sailors...) so I guess we'll see when he gets back next week.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #215
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
From what I've seen they can wiggle the year group requirements slightly for specific candidates. I've been avidly reading the community management slides on BUPERS though. I'm actually emailing your ECM right now haha So we'll see. AWO would be my first pick, followed by AWR (assuming the CT manning levels don't budge...Thanks NAT sailors...) so I guess we'll see when he gets back next week.
Good luck! As we both know, there's what's published... and then there's what actually happens. I've also met CT's flying outside of VQ-1... rumor is there might be some billets opening within VP and MPRA in the not-to-distant future.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #216
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Good luck! As we both know, there's what's published... and then there's what actually happens. I've also met CT's flying outside of VQ-1... rumor is there might be some billets opening within VP and MPRA in the not-to-distant future.
Yea I've got some specifics that make my situation a little more complicated. Here's to pulling off some drug deals! I'll shoot you my number over PM though. It'd be really helpful to be able to bounce some A-dub questions off you as they come up. The only NAC guys in my shop are projects guys, which is a totally different world (from my understanding).
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #217
Edge

Oh would ADHD be a problem for aviation duty? I was diagnosed with it around the age of 5, and took medication for about a year or two before being taken off, and haven't spoken to a doctor or taken anything for it in well over 10 years. I was never held back in school and graduated last year, and am in my second semester of college courses. I had almost forgotten about it.

Is that going to throw a wrench in my processing at MEPS?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #218
Haasino
**Active Duty**

With ADHD, you'll generally need a waiver from BUMED to join, and then the same waiver will need to be reviewed by NAMI to be cleared for flying duties. You will probably end up in THU post-graduation waiting for the waiver, but it'll clear and you'll move on... I knew several THU'ers waiting on ADHD waivers, and none were denied that I recall.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #219
Rooster

Rooster is on a distinguished road

I saw on the first page you mentioned you were 28 going through NACCS; I'll be 28 if not 27 by the time I get through the AIRC pipeline. What are some of the difficulties you've experienced, not necessarily at NACCS, but Navy life in general having joined at an older age than most?
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #220
Fullmetal

Fullmetal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So I'm in decent shape and I'm sure boot camp would not be a problem , I ship out 29th of April next week!! A little worried about naccs though .... If I push myself everyday up until boot camp and go hard as hell in bootcamp , do you think I'll be ok for naccs? I don't wanna fail and I'm ready to exhaust my body to its limits just to pass .
Fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #221
Rooster

So I'm reading that when you take the Class II swim test at RTC you have to be PERFECT otherwise they fail you. Are you only given one shot to be PERFECT?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #222
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
So I'm reading that when you take the Class II swim test at RTC you have to be PERFECT otherwise they fail you. Are you only given one shot to be PERFECT?
At RTC you should be taking the 3rd class swim test, not 2nd.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #223
Rooster

So I take the Class II Swim test at NACCS and not at RTC?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #224
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
So I take the Class II Swim test at NACCS and not at RTC?
Correct. RTC is basically just jump off the ledge, swim to the end of the pool, and use your coveralls to float for a bit. If you can swim at all you should be fine.

The 2nd class one isn't really much harder. I had to do it for VBSS and didn't have any issues.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #225
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Sorry about the delay, guys... I've been keeping busy converting jet fuel into exhaust for democracy...

Quote:
I saw on the first page you mentioned you were 28 going through NACCS; I'll be 28 if not 27 by the time I get through the AIRC pipeline. What are some of the difficulties you've experienced, not necessarily at NACCS, but Navy life in general having joined at an older age than most?
Honestly? Patience... especially while in training commands. You're going to generally be a bit more mature and able to follow the rules, only to be punished anyway because some dumb 18 year-old E-1 screws up anyway. You're also going to have to realize that rank comes before age... a 21 year-old E-6 is an E-6... and a 28 year-old E-1 is an E-1. I went from being a cop, to running movie sets as a safety supervisor and armorer, to being an E-3 student who was older than all of my instructors and 1 of my Chiefs.

There are two kinds of 26+ year-olds in lower enlisted ranks: the ones who can recognize and respect rank and generally excel in their careers... and the ones who walk around acting like their age entitles them to different treatment who are ultimately labeled "shitbags" and generally don't do so well career-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal View Post
So I'm in decent shape and I'm sure boot camp would not be a problem , I ship out 29th of April next week!! A little worried about naccs though .... If I push myself everyday up until boot camp and go hard as hell in bootcamp , do you think I'll be ok for naccs? I don't wanna fail and I'm ready to exhaust my body to its limits just to pass .
Well, crap... missed that one by a day. If you come back after RTC and see this, you'll be fine... just don't give up and power through NACCS.

Quote:
You have the option to take it at RTC... but it's very hard to pass there and you'll just be taking it again at NACCS. You can do it if you wanna try... I did... but don't freak out if you get pulled out of the pool.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #226
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Haas,

In regards to AWR and AWS, what's the big difference? Do AWRs still do much tactical work or is it all Rescue Swimmer? Are they each designated for specific air-frames?

/r
CTT1
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #227
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Haas,

In regards to AWR and AWS, what's the big difference? Do AWRs still do much tactical work or is it all Rescue Swimmer? Are they each designated for specific air-frames?

/r
CTT1
The biggest difference is that AWR's do anti-submarine warfare and limited anti-surface warfare, while AWS' do Vertical Replenishment. AWR is more tactically-oriented, so they tend to do the CSAR missions whereas AWS' are utility and whatnot. Both overlap into the CSAR and NSW support world to an extent... but the biggest thing is the ASW/ASuW element. Neither one focuses on the rescue swimmer element... some do a lot of SAR stuff, others never do real-world SAR.

Platform-wise, now that the Navy has consolidated their helos, AWR's are on the MH-60R, while AWS' are on the MH-60S... they don't cross-platform.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #228
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
The biggest difference is that AWR's do anti-submarine warfare and limited anti-surface warfare, while AWS' do Vertical Replenishment. AWR is more tactically-oriented, so they tend to do the CSAR missions whereas AWS' are utility and whatnot. Both overlap into the CSAR and NSW support world to an extent... but the biggest thing is the ASW/ASuW element. Neither one focuses on the rescue swimmer element... some do a lot of SAR stuff, others never do real-world SAR.

Platform-wise, now that the Navy has consolidated their helos, AWR's are on the MH-60R, while AWS' are on the MH-60S... they don't cross-platform.
I love it when you tell me what I want to hear haha <3

From the looks of it, my AWO possibilities might be drying up; which leaves me with AWR as my only shot. So I've basically just been busting ass in the gym the last few weeks.

-Griffin
Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #229
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Dear Haasino,

I hope you're not dead. It's so quiet here lately...

Sincerely,
Griffin
Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #230
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Go AWF for TACAMO CTT1! We need more FEs lol in fact, I think we're close to hitting a red line for them

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #231
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
Go AWF for TACAMO CTT1! We need more FEs lol in fact, I think we're close to hitting a red line for them
Thanks but no thanks haha! I've got a close friend who was an FE and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #232
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Dear Haasino,

I hope you're not dead. It's so quiet here lately...

Sincerely,
Griffin
Nope, I'm alive... just keeping busy! I had one of those moments today where I realized I've been in the Navy since longer than breakfast when my buddy checked into NACCS as an instructor, lol...

Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #233
Rooster

Graduated Friday from RTC; on my way to Pensacola! It took a good 5 weeks to get my flight physical approved after a few tests. However, I'm good to go and looking forward to NACCS!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #234
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Graduated Friday from RTC; on my way to Pensacola! It took a good 5 weeks to get my flight physical approved after a few tests. However, I'm good to go and looking forward to NACCS!
Congrats, dude! Just remember to stay motivated and never give up! One of the guys from my squadron just checked in there as an instructor... he'll probably be the one following your formation with a quad-copter during a beach run, lol...

Old 07-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #235
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

I graduate NACCS tomorrow! Helo dunker was soooo much fun. Anyways, I'm reservist and they gave me AWO. Heads up to any reservists going in, you won't be getting AWF. There are too damn many of them.
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #236
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Awesome work, man! Congrats on getting the true AW rate, Sensor Operator has a very bright and lucrative future right now.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #237
squid.life

Hassino Does AWO1 Enriquez rinng a bell? He was my instructor at NACCS. So was Mr Carr. I had Lawson as well but got rolled because on my third tower jump try I got a bloody nose in the pool. They pulled me for the day. waaa waaaaa.
Anyways, as a reservist who is going into the AWO A school, what do you think my challenges will be once I get home and start duty? FYI I didnt get F because Master Chief and Senior Chief were both saying it was completely over stocked.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #238
Haasino
**Active Duty**

It does indeed. Rico was in my squadron before he PCS'd down there a few months back. I've also got one of our guys at AW "A" School, and at VP-30... they're not BSing you when they say this is a very small rate! The AWF thing doesn't surprise me... that rate is basically a death rattle at this point, with personnel under 17 years being forced to re-rate as billets continue to disappear. I forget, are you SelRes or FTS Reserve? Either way, you're most likely going to end up in VP-69 up at NAS Whidbey Island if you're returning to Seattle. Unfortunately, the reserve VP squadrons aren't used to getting unqualified Cat I AW's... traditionally it's where aircrew who leave Active Duty, but still want to fly, go. The biggest challenge... especially if you're SelRes...is that you've got ~1 year of on-the-job training before you're fully sensor operator qualified... and that's 1 year of M-F, 0900-1700 study. For a while, nobody even thought SelRes AWO was possible out of NACCS... then one showed up straight out of "A" School without any VP-30 or SERE training, and VP-69 had no idea what to do with her.

The good news though is that you won't be the first unicorn now! Last I heard, they figured out how to get the money to send her back down to VP-30 on 1 year AD orders so she could get Cat I training done and come back. Hopefully, they'll know you're coming and get the money so you can go straight from Pensacola to Jacksonville... if not, you'll get a break back home, then go back to Florida to finish the training pipeline. There's also going to be a cadre of Active Duty AWO's there by the time you arrive, so you'll have personnel there to train you.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #239
squid.life

I am SELRES. They gave me the option to do the full training right now. But understood that when i chose AW i was under the impression that I would be an F. And that when i left home it wasnt to be gone for over a year. So im pretty sure Ill be reporting to Whidbey and having to leave again in the future. The bad thing about this whole thing? i love the idea of being an AWO. The strain that this is putting on my home life and the impact of telling the Mrs. Hey ill be gone to florida again, for a year, is going to be a challenge. And im pretty sure my wife knows the unicorn. The wife is in 61 as a AE3. She loves it. wishes she could be there more.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #240
SethRT

SethRT is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if any of you guys knew the per diem rates at Isa Airbase Bahrain for someone TAD there essentially for about 6 months?
SethRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #241
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRT View Post
I was just wondering if any of you guys knew the per diem rates at Isa Airbase Bahrain for someone TAD there essentially for about 6 months?
$3.50... try not to spend it all in one place. Depending on who they're there with, overland Iraq is another $7.50 for Imminent Danger Pay... plus Air Medal points.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #242
SethRT

Quote:
$3.50... try not to spend it all in one place. Depending on who they're there with, overland Iraq is another $7.50 for Imminent Danger Pay... plus Air Medal points.
Even in Isa? I had heard it was a little higher.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #243
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRT View Post
Even in Isa? I had heard it was a little higher.
Negative, Ghostrider... I know from very firsthand experience. It is tax free though, and you get your own room/air-conditioned shipping container.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #244
SethRT

Quote:
Negative, Ghostrider... I know from very firsthand experience. It is tax free though, and you get your own room/air-conditioned shipping container.
Ah okay so their out of the tents now atleast haha. Oh well! $3 is better then nothing I guess.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #245
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Graduated bootcamp July 24th, got to Pensacola on August 4th and classing up for NACCS tomorrow!!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #246
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

If anyone has any questions about what goes on here at NACCS, ask away!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #247
JayMaple

JayMaple is on a distinguished road

@navygirl so whats it like just being there so far. i been told it will take a while for me to class up so yea....
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #248
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

I've been here for 3 and a half weeks. I got here on a Tuesday, spent the week in what they call backlog, which is a holding group. It has people waiting to class up for NACCS, and grads waiting to move over to a school. The first Monday you are here you will be in indoc for a week, and then backlog for a week after that. Most people class up for the start of their third week here if you don't have any holds. RSS is another story. There are people who have been waiting to class up for RSS for months.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #249
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Morales,

What's up, dude? I'm Haasino, the resident AW here... I'm still getting settled in here on deployment, but I've got internet access in my hotel room, so I should be able to get back to you within about 24-48hrs if you have any questions... in the meantime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Morales View Post
Sup guys! Few questions about the reservist AWO pipeline. I have a feeling mine will be a bit different.
I'll say! I swear, the Navy doesn't understand the AW pipeline at all when they give out SelRes AWO orders... you'll see why in a second.

Quote:
Quick backstory: I am prior active duty, AME. Did 5 years working Prowler/Growler @ NAS Whidbey Island and 3 years on Instructor duty teaching AME "C" School @ NAS Lemoore. I separated in March and joined the reserves in May as an AWO. The conditions were that in order for me to strike that rate, I'd have two chances to take the AWO2 rating exam. No school necessary, just need to pass with a 37. I find it a bit odd that they aren't sending me to Aircrew school, AW "C" school, SERE or VP-30.
It's more than a bit odd... not even touching on the fact that they're making you take the AWO2 exam (What's your current paygrade?)... without the Water Survival training from NACCS, "A" School, VP-30, and SERE, you are unable to fly on naval aircraft as anything but a passenger. Given that our job only exists in the back of a plane, I'm not sure what they're planning there...

Quote:
1st Question: Will I be awarded the AWO NEC once I pass the AWO2 exam? If not, which schools should I request at my NOSC?
So, as I touched on above, in order to be given the basic 8201 Aircrew Candidate NEC, you'll need to graduate Naval Aircrew Candidate School. So NACCS is the first school you'll need. The next NEC that will be awarded will come at the end of Category I Fleet Replacement Aircrew Training at VP-30... you'll be awarded one of four NEC's depending on whether you went P-3C Orion or P-8A Poseidon, and whether you're an Acoustic or Non-Acoustic Operator. The trick there, is that those orders originate from AW "A" School... so while "A" School technically doesn't give you an NEC, you need it to get your foundation and orders to VP-30. Finally, all Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance aircrew are required, at a minimum, to attend 14 days of Level-C SERE in either Warner Springs, CA or Rangeley, ME... most AWO's will be required to attend more advanced follow-on courses at other sites in the future. Once all of those classes have been completed, and you've passed an Open/Closed Book NATOPS exam and Check-Ride, you'll be able to fly as aircrew and begin the 18 month AWO PQS.

Quote:
2nd Question: I tried to find some study materials online for AWO, but the non-resident training courses seem to be classified. I took the AWO2 exam in July and I had no clue about NATOPS, Submarines or Sonar buoys. (Not scared for now because a 37 should be easy to cut) But I would like to be prepared for the AWO1 exam once that time comes. Can anyone help a shipmate out with some study material/AWO gouge?
Unfortunately, 98% of everything we need to know is not obtainable unless you have SIPR access. The only things I can think of that are Unclass and potentially obtainable would be the OPNAVINST 3710.7U for NATOPS, the Stennis Space Center RP 33 for oceanography and acoustic fundamentals, and either Janes Fighting Ships/Aircraft or just Wikipedia for ship and aircraft visual recognition... you're not going to be able to access the ranges of weapons, but try to memorize what ship and aircraft have what weapons... try to know land-based weapons as well... especially surface-to-air launchers and radars associated with them.

Hopefully those can set you in the right direction to start... let me know if you have any other questions.

- AWO2

Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #250
Rooster

Hey Haasino, I was curious if you were acoustic or non-acoustic? And if you can explain the differences in their duties. Thanks in advance.