NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
CTNwyo

CTNwyo is on a distinguished road
Post CTN E4- E5 advancement

Hello all,

I'm currently in DEP scheduled to ship April 13th, contract as CTN. I go in as an E3 because of a degree. I understand the rate is auto E4 upon completing jcac school. I think I read you can test for E5 as soon as you put E4 with this rate. Can anyone verify or clarify if that is true?

Thanks!
CTNwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Not true... push-button E-4 still needs 12 months Time in Rate (TIR) to advance to E-5. Because there are only two TIR dates though (Jan 1st and Jul 1st), and you don't really start getting paid until at least 6 months after taking the exam, it's possibly to graduate and put on E-4 in April-June, and then test in September during the next cycle.

To provide an example... my graduating class from VP-30 was the first week of July... admin being admin, got about half the class' advancement paperwork done at the end of June, and the rest done right before graduation in July. So some of us had a Jan 1st TIR date and got to take the test that following September... while the others had a July 1st TIR date and had to wait until the following March. One of my buddies with the July 1st TIR was able to take the test anyway, but it came back invalid from BUPERS due to insufficient TIR.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
To provide an example... my graduating class from VP-30 was the first week of July... admin being admin, got about half the class' advancement paperwork done at the end of June, and the rest done right before graduation in July. So some of us had a Jan 1st TIR date and got to take the test that following September... while the others had a July 1st TIR date and had to wait until the following March. One of my buddies with the July 1st TIR was able to take the test anyway, but it came back invalid from BUPERS due to insufficient TIR.
Huh, this was not my experience. Admin took months to complete the ATF paperwork, but they backdated all of the advancements to the 16th of the first month we were eligible.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNwyo View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently in DEP scheduled to ship April 13th, contract as CTN. I go in as an E3 because of a degree. I understand the rate is auto E4 upon completing jcac school. I think I read you can test for E5 as soon as you put E4 with this rate. Can anyone verify or clarify if that is true?

Thanks!
That's not accurate.

Plus, why would you want to be in such a rush to put on CTN2 if you just finished A-school? You would be put into a leadership role when you have exactly zero idea about anything and it sets you up to fail immediately. Learn your job and the Navy first before you start worrying about rank.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Huh, this was not my experience. Admin took months to complete the ATF paperwork, but they backdated all of the advancements to the 16th of the first month we were eligible.
Two words - civilian contractors...

Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Weird because I put on E4 in May '09 and took the fall advancement test that year. I didn't have to wait to take it nor advance as I advanced on the spring 2010 exam. I've always seen push button ET's/FC's take tests immediately after putting on E4.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Weird because I put on E4 in May '09 and took the fall advancement test that year. I didn't have to wait to take it nor advance as I advanced on the spring 2010 exam. I've always seen push button ET's/FC's take tests immediately after putting on E4.
You took the fall exam because your TIR date was 01JAN2009. Statistically, there's more of a chance a graduating push-button will fall in the window where they can take the next exam vs. those who can't. You'd basically have to graduate and get advanced Jan-Mar or Jul-Sep in order to not take the next exam... and the guys graduating in Jan or Jul even have some wiggle-room depending on when Admin dates the advancement paperwork. The guys in my FRS class got boned mainly because VP-30's Admin are civilians and just absolutely horrible at life.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
It all depends where you fall in the cycle. It's not a written rule that it happens like that.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
ALJW2015

ALJW2015 is on a distinguished road

Is E-4 automatic after "A" School?
ALJW2015 is offline   Reply With Quote