NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
tarheel1994

tarheel1994 is on a distinguished road
Default 1 Month Until Ship Date

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I DEP'd into the Navy on June 11, 2012 and my ship date is November 19, 2012. I just found this site and it has been very, very, very helpful to me in getting more information about the Navy and getting ready for boot camp. I wish I would of found this site earlier because their is tons and tons of information that seems very useful for me and other future sailors. I really appreciate the creators of this site for being able to get a all of this information into one place and I thank you for it.

Now my question is, I have exactly 1 month until I ship for boot camp and I want to know what else can I do to get myself ready for boot camp. I've been running and exercising at least 4 times a week and I have been studying my START book and getting familiar with it. I have learned my sailors creed, I am almost done learning my 11 general orders and I am now going start getting familiar with ranks and the terms. But what else can I do??? I want to be as ready as I can come November 21st and I want to be the most prepared I can be. Any advice???
tarheel1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
stevebw

stevebw is on a distinguished road

First off,
Welcome aboard! I ship out on Nov 21st!
I would just keep up with what you're doing now and try to avoid anything that can injure you (or at least be careful about it!) Don't forget to know your chain of command and their names for each one! It also helps to know your ships and aircraft. See you during P-days :P
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Futuresailorhdv

Futuresailorhdv is on a distinguished road

I DEP'ed 2012OCT09 and they changed me as well, I ship out 2012NOV19 now. So I will be heading to boot camp the same time as you. I am trying to get as much knowledge of out START book as possible. Information overload. Good luck to you!
Futuresailorhdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
NavyChick

NavyChick is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I ship out 20121120. There's also a group of November shippers on Facebook if you have a Facebook account. We'd love to have you there!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/329827070438144/

Sound like you're doing well to prepare yourself. The link below will take you to a page where you can download a really good program to help you study. A lot of us deppers use it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/navydep/

Again, welcome aboard!
NavyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
tarheel1994

tarheel1994 is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for the quick feedback! It feels good to know there are people on here that ship around the same time as me. I just sent a request to join the November Navy Shippers group on Facebook. and I also just downloaded the program! Once again, thank you everyone for the feedback. More and more would be great.
tarheel1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
NavyChick

NavyChick is on a distinguished road

You're very welcome! Look forward to see you in the group!

Another thing you can practice is Recruit Handwriting if you haven't started that yet. It's not difficult, just one more thing to have out of the way and under the belt. I'd also look up videos on YouTube about how to fold shirts, socks, and whatnot if you don't already know. With rank and recognition it's a good idea to be able to describe the collar devices and whatnot. This link can help you with that: http://bootcamp4me.com/branches/us-n...scription.html

Recruit Handwriting: http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m...%3Dl8nii5Tpznk
She's pretty cool and has some really great videos with good info.

Hope this helps!
NavyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
jhampton002

jhampton002 is on a distinguished road

Once you've arrived at bootcamp make sure you get the Chain of Command down. And on rank and regconition make sure you memorize the description of each symbol like for example for a senior Chief collar device is, "Gold fouled anchor with a silver, superimposed USN with a silver star." And make sure you know what they wear on there dress blue sleeves, which from the example above would be, "One silver star, perched eagle, one rocker, speciality mark, and three cheverons." These questions come up during uniform inspections, be ahead of the game.
jhampton002 is offline   Reply With Quote